Did you waste your life ?

georgegeorgia

Did I waste my life?  I think there are instances in everyone’s life where time could have  been wasted.  The only difference is, whether you remain in that specific situation,  Or do something about it.  
Im 67 years old now.  As a young adult I didn’t have much money.  I could have constantly complained about it.  Whined about the government,  blamed my situation on this and that.  And just be the same now. 
But I always moved forward. Always trying to better myself.  I’m retired since age 62.  I collect social security plus a decent pension from my job I worked 32 years.  I have savings and investments.  Discounted health insurance from my previous job.  Covers me world wide. 
I always wanted to experience living overseas.  When I vacationed I mostly took trips overseas.  I chose Thailand to retire.  Living in Bangkok almost three years now.  Chose it because of the retirement visa.  Living in Thailand is not my cup of tea.  I would say I wasted that time in my life giving it a try.  So I will move back to the states by the middle of next year.  

• Like 1

i was born just after the war ,my family were  not badly off ,had a great time with my mates ,went to a good school ,then got a great job.

at 20 went to live in London ,had a decent job ,but boy the place i lived ,i met pop stars ,tv people ,was friends with a very well known musician, then got married has a fantastic daughter ,got divorced ,i kept my daughter and lived  with a girl for 13 yrs..then got married a few times to Thai girls,we lived in UK ,got divorced, then a couple of years later met my now wife of 25 yrs through businese i had in BKK,  we came to the UK for 6 months to see if she liked it ,she did we got married and she brought her son over ,i had known him for a yr already ,his dad was killed when he was  only 1 yr old ,he is my son now ,have i wasted my life? you havin a laugh its been bloody great

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

47 now and still having a pretty good time.   But now that I'm more than halfway through (if you count the days left it really feels limited... I barely have 11,000 days left if you go by the averages) I do feel like I could have accomplished more.  Will likely die without having contributed much to the world other than amassing a small bit of wealth for 5-6 family members.   

31 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Did I waste my life?  I think there are instances in everyone’s life where time could have  been wasted.  The only difference is, whether you remain in that specific situation,  Or do something about it.  
Im 67 years old now.  As a young adult I didn’t have much money.  I could have constantly complained about it.  Whined about the government,  blamed my situation on this and that.  And just be the same now. 
But I always moved forward. Always trying to better myself.  I’m retired since age 62.  I collect social security plus a decent pension from my job I worked 32 years.  I have savings and investments.  Discounted health insurance from my previous job.  Covers me world wide. 
I always wanted to experience living overseas.  When I vacationed I mostly took trips overseas.  I chose Thailand to retire.  Living in Bangkok almost three years now.  Chose it because of the retirement visa.  Living in Thailand is not my cup of tea.  I would say I wasted that time in my life giving it a try.  So I will move back to the states by the middle of next year.  

Whats bad about Thailand?

4 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

I wasted mine by not having kids. 41 now and i wish i could travel back in time to correct this. I have friends and their kids are about to go to university. This must be one of the most satisfying experiences ever. So jealous of them. Yes i have money but what's the use of hoarding it in the absence of a family and loved ones who are of greater value than any amount of material wealth.

Thinking of having kids at this age asap or adopting. 

You're still young!  Go for it if it's what you want.  My Mom was 40 and my Dad 44 when my youngest sister Carol was born, the last of 6 kids.  She was definitely unexpected--they had gotten rid of all the baby stuff after the 5th child was born 4 years earlier.  My parents always said Carol helped to keep them feeling young and engaged in life.   You mention money--my Dad always joked that he could have bought a new Cadillac every other year if they hadn't had 6 kids--but, always quickly added that we kids meant far more than any material things he and Mom could have had instead.   When Carol left the nest and Dad could have easily afforded a Cadillac at that point, he never bought one.

• Like 2

If you mean staying in one city or one job until retirement, then no, I certainly did not! 

In fact, I've come out of early Thai retirement and back in the Antipodes for another go!

Also, the bastards are going to pay me that pension, even if it means living six months of the year in either place!

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Most people in the world live in poverty. 85% of the world live on less than $30 per day, two-thirds live on less than $10.

https://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats&ved=2ahUKEwiW-cTR37v6AhXZ8DgGHcb_C2EQFnoECAgQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2ztiSxhvmG-M7sl7d7aZ_6

Capitalism is the scourge of this world, and that human greed is why 85% of the world live in poverty.

The electricity and gas industry in the UK is only one example of that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gearbox said:

OP, not sure whether you nephew wasted his life so far. As you said he has never worked in his life so he has been very time rich...and still probably not lived that bad in the welfare freeloader state that is Australia.

In a few years he may get government accommodation, and come the pension age he gets OAP without working a single day.

It is the middle class wasting their life, working every month hand to mouth, incredibly time poor, and in the end would probably get less pension than your nephew.

On 9/15/2022 at 8:12 PM, RTEA said:

I have persevered for four years with immigration. You clearly encourage me to take control and use the immigration to facilitate my life in Thailand.

you are helpful

i’m grateful.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it all depends on what we want and how we want to live our lives. 

Obviously, it's good to get some inspiration from others and learn about possible options. But at the end of the day, we should all individually decide how we want to live our life.

I.e. I am sure my father thought I wasted my life. But I did and do what I want to do.

And I think he should have lived his life and have some fun.

Different perspectives.

What is fun? That is the question!

I have lived, travelled, women, drugs and rockn roll,done things very few people ever going to do and experienc, but now I am truly learned to  live because of my experiences. Back to the roots ???? Simple easy good life with one woman at the time. Some would say boring, but I do not think so, because I can still do what I want when I want if I want, and that's truly freedom in my eyes. 

So did I waste my time? Yes, but for good reasons

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Most people in the world live in poverty. 85% of the world live on less than $30 per day, two-thirds live on less than $10.

https://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats&ved=2ahUKEwiW-cTR37v6AhXZ8DgGHcb_C2EQFnoECAgQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2ztiSxhvmG-M7sl7d7aZ_6

Those are statistics  , so those living in Thailand on 900 Baht a day are living in poverty ?

900 Baht a day is quite a liveable income in Thailand and far removed from poverty status 

retired at 54  met and married thai lady in uk

made the most of my live doing what i liked football 44 yrs   atletics done 5 world champs

4 euro,s champs many-many uk  oz champs   what did i do  i did DECATHLON/PENTATHLON

around the world have done this for 23 yrs and 7 yrs out of the sport as well   69 yrs in oct

so enjoying life here in thailand last 16 yrs  to think around the world less than 200 65-69 yrs

do what i do   dec/pent  plus many medals to show  but as getting older medals do no mean

so much now but they did at 45 yrs  just have fun and see old friends over the yrs

also done 5 thai champs and 1 thai open champs in athletics better comp than UK

you get many more thai,s in my events than in uk  long/triple/javelin i am top 5 in UK

but only means somethink to me  and at 70 could be number 1  in one of these events

so if you like doing some think then do it as long as you can   we have only one life here

so make the most of it while you are here

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Those are statistics  , so those living in Thailand on 900 Baht a day are living in poverty ?

900 Baht a day is quite a liveable income in Thailand and far removed from poverty status 

Less than 350 baht for 66% worldwide. Thats stuff all.

900 baht is fine in Ubon if you dont drink much. In bkk its stuff all. 

I could live on 1500 baht in ubon rather well. 1000 baht most days save the rest for a trip.

26 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If you are healthy and happy now who cares whether you had 100 women or 5 or if you climbed Everest or if you travelled through Africa in a dusty bus or if you did this and that. You care about that stuff maybe when you can't do it no more. Till then do your thing that you feel like exciting or not. 

100 isnt that many. Only 2 a week for a year. 

36 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although George Best did end up drinking spirits alone on a park bench and needed a liver transplant to save his life from the effects of alcohol and then he continued drinking and it killed him .  

Sad end to one of the Worlds best football players 

Sounds sad. Im alive. I can drink and find a woman.

Drinking is overrated. Whats the point of getting drunk a lot?