Eyesight Issue

SplitInfinitive

I'm in my mid 70s and I've worn glasses for reading for about 30 years and for TV/driving for about 10.

My sight has been the same since I got the driving glasses but I've had issues this year, I did an online test ad it showed that one eye has become considerably worse than the other.

I'm pretty sure that I haven't had a stroke, I get regular checkups for other health issues.

Would an optician be able to pick up a health issue or just give me a new prescription for glasses?

Edited by SplitInfinitive

21 minutes ago, Robin said:

My limited experience of Thai Eye Tests, take at well-known chain of optical shops is that they really do not know what they are doing.  Their method appears to be to offer different spectacles they have in stock, until you find one that you think you can see better with.

Last time I had eye test in UK, at Boots, free as I am pensioner, it included some form of pressure test, and retinal scan, as well as carefully testing each eye for sight defects.

The difference between a test of your eyes, and a method of selling spectacles..

I hae no doubt that there are proper eye hospitals in Thailand where you will get good attention, but not at the local spec. shop or the big blue and white chain.

Ophthalmologists work only in hospitals and there's a nationwide shortage of optometrists. A couple of years ago there was only a handful of optometrists who didn't work in hospitals. The guys in the glasses shops know how to operate machines and sell glasses, nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:07 PM, nigelforbes said:

Ophthalmologists work only in hospitals and there's a nationwide shortage of optometrists. A couple of years ago there was only a handful of optometrists who didn't work in hospitals. The guys in the glasses shops know how to operate machines and sell glasses, nothing more.

Curiously, most of the ophthalmologists I have seen in Thailand, mainly in smaller cities, worked in hospitals and also consulted in their own clinics, where they also tested for, prescribed and sold glasses.

I agree there is a critical shortage in Thailand.

The waiting time for an ophthalmologist in the regional public hospitals for only a minute of their time, with another 10 patients in the consulting room, is ridiculous. Their clinics provide a better personalised experience but with a fee.

• Like 2

In addition to going the traditional route, you might want to consider some herbal supplements. I use Bilberry Eyebright complex, along with green tea, pine bark, grape seed complex, and black current extract. They have worked wonders for me, and have prevented my vision from deteriorating at all, for the past 15 years. I wear reading glasses sometimes, and distance glasses when driving at night. That is all. My vision remains excellent well into my 60's. Prior to taking these herbs, my vision was slipping. Things were getting fuzzy. If I skip them for 2 or 3 days, the fuzziness comes back, so I know they are working. They tend to strengthen the optic nerve, as well as having other positive effects. 

The people I know who have tried this tend to have better success, if they have relatively minor issues like I do. 

16649272572303667817203418333866.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 6:45 AM, spidermike007 said:

In addition to going the traditional route, you might want to consider some herbal supplements. I use Bilberry Eyebright complex, along with green tea, pine bark, grape seed complex, and black current extract. They have worked wonders for me, and have prevented my vision from deteriorating at all, for the past 15 years. I wear reading glasses sometimes, and distance glasses when driving at night. That is all. My vision remains excellent well into my 60's. Prior to taking these herbs, my vision was slipping. Things were getting fuzzy. If I skip them for 2 or 3 days, the fuzziness comes back, so I know they are working. They tend to strengthen the optic nerve, as well as having other positive effects. 

The people I know who have tried this tend to have better success, if they have relatively minor issues like I do. 

And as an extra benefit, these supplements will cure all known cancers!

On 10/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, phetphet said:

Last month I went to Rutnin Eye Hospital in Bangkok.  Just made an appointment online for a test for glasses.

While doing the eye tests they found a problem that required immediate treatment.  I can highly recommend them if you are in Bangkok.

Of course they found a problem.

That is how they make money from you or your insurer.

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 3:59 PM, nigelforbes said:

You are a ripe age for cataracts, just like me, get thee to The Rutnin.

Yep. Just been diagnosed (I'm mid-50's) with a cataract in my left eye. I see floating shapes  / shadows and get halos around bright lights, etc. Will probably need surgery.

15 hours ago, crouchpeter said:

And as an extra benefit, these supplements will cure all known cancers!

I am thankful that I am open minded enough to try alternatives to Big Pharma and the highly traditional routes peddled by allopathic medicine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Yep. Just been diagnosed (I'm mid-50's) with a cataract in my left eye. I see floating shapes  / shadows and get halos around bright lights, etc. Will probably need surgery.

I see these things after a few beers now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, huangnon said:

I strongly recommend Rutnin Hospital in Bangkok, the cost is not that much more than many of the alternatives but the quality if so much higher and more assured. I've had some really dangerous encounters here with an Ophthalmologist in a private hospital, someone who was supposed to be an expert and a senior person at a university. In this example the doctor substituted a student who used her name whilst she took the afternoon off. Unfortunately, the student missed a torn retina which the so called expert spotted two weeks later during a follow up visit. A second encounter related to the same incident where a doctor wanted to perform extreme laser surgery that was completely unnecessary. When I recounted these stories to Dr Roy at Rutnin he shook his head and said he'd heard similar before.  Be careful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I strongly recommend Rutnin Hospital in Bangkok, the cost is not that much more than many of the alternatives but the quality if so much higher and more assured. I've had some really dangerous encounters here with an Ophthalmologist in a private hospital, someone who was supposed to be an expert and a senior person at a university. In this example the doctor substituted a student who used her name whilst she took the afternoon off. Unfortunately, the student missed a torn retina which the so called expert spotted two weeks later during a follow up visit. A second encounter related to the same incident where a doctor wanted to perform extreme laser surgery that was completely unnecessary. When I recounted these stories to Dr Roy at Rutnin he shook his head and said he'd heard similar before.  Be careful.

I'm looking at options now. I have a friend who recommended Rutnin also (he had lens replacement done there).

Thanks for your advice. ????

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, huangnon said:

I'm looking at options now. I have a friend who recommended Rutnin also (he had lens replacement done there).

Thanks for your advice. ????

They have a 55 year history as an independent eye clinic/hospital in Bangkok (I first used 45 years ago).  Major hospitals these days also have good doctors and facilities but Rutnin remains a top choice and appears to have more patients each day than most hospitals will have in a week - it can be busy - but you do not feel pushed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, spidermike007 said:

I am thankful that I am open minded enough to try alternatives to Big Pharma and the highly traditional routes peddled by allopathic medicine. 

If your open to alternatives try Lions mane mushrooms. It has helped my eyes greatly in the past few months. There is a mushroom farm in Chiang Mai that carries this mushroom.

• Thumbs Up 1

Go to see an ophthalmologist,

I am 60 years old, I went yesterday to BKK Hospital for a eye checkup. I suspected I got cataract on my left eye base on the symptoms I got and I was right. You will get a Ultrasound A-Scan as they enable the Opthalmologist to determine the power of the intraocular lens (IOL) needed for the artificial implant and an OCT Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) is used to provide eye doctors with an image of the retina in the back of a patient's eye, adding the Opthalmologist  fee and you will get a cost of around $6.6K bahts. then, later you go for a lense replacement, mono, bi or tri-focal to see form near, middle and far, your choice. Tri-focal is around $140K bahts (for one eye).  My insurance do not cover cataracts unfortunately, so everything is out of my pocket. Yes, it is expensive, but the peace of mind is there, knowing it is top quality healthcare services. I do not know the price for something equivalent with Rutnin hospital, but I  will ask anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:45 AM, nigelforbes said:

I strongly recommend Rutnin Hospital in Bangkok, the cost is not that much more than many of the alternatives but the quality if so much higher and more assured.

If you are BKK an alternative is Dr. Paradon at St. Louis hospital(contact info at https://medsurgeindia.com/contact-us/).  To get there use the BTS and get off at Surasak.  Just a short walk back the way you came on the train.

Dr. Paradon is an Ophthalmologist who gives a thorough eye exam.  He can give you a prescription for glasses.  The hospital doesn't sell glasses.  I use Zennioptical (https://www.zennioptical.com), never had a problem with them.  Usually about a week from ordering to receipt.  No import tax.  They accept Paypal so no need to put in card details.

10 minutes ago, lujanit said:

They accept Paypal so no need to put in card details.

You are aware that Paypal is no longer an option for many expats living in Thailand?  Any Thai registered account now requires a Thai Citizen ID card.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:20 AM, spidermike007 said:

Go ahead and let your dark skepticism get in the way again. 

I'd suggest a bit of skepticism is worthwhile.

In your 60's, you may still be able to handle the side effects of some of the herbals and supplements. It's a different story when one is late seventies or early eighties, toxicity to kidneys and liver may be lethal.

How much research have you done on the side effects of herbals you are taking?

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:45 AM, spidermike007 said:

The only scientifically proven and accepted supplement for eye conditions, including wet and dry AMD, is AREDS 2, developed by the MAYO Clinic in the US.  It is available in LOS online direct from Pfizer.  To the OP, sounds like cataracts, AMD or Glaucoma, and no, on optician would not see it.  You need to get to a hospital Eye Centre and get checked.  The earlier you get treatment the sooner it can be slowed or stopped. I know of what I speak.  I had AREDS 2 recommended by my hospital consultant.  

Edited by Doctor Tom