Weather Direction in Chiang Mai

33 RPM

im sure there are quite a few out there who enjoy and have an interest in all things weather.

can someone please inform me

which direction the weather mainly comes from.

particularly out Doi Saket way

my guess is from the north east for a lot of the time.

Mostly monsoonal troughs. The direction depends on where the trough band spurred from, variable west and south. A lot of the moisture crops up out of the atmosphere and drift in from where the wind is coming from. Though all weather ultimately travels west-east around the planet. I’m sure there’s a weather guru out there that can chime in and give a better take on it.

Edited by novacova

Thankyou,

i am aware of the numerous "live " radar etc maps of the current weather and do use them frequently

i was more meaning if there is a general direction from where the major rain / storms come from

in my home country 95 % of the weather came from one direction, im just wondering if its similar here year by year or not.

As stated earlier, the monsoon troughs tend to come from the west and south from the equatorial weather river, and spin north counter clockwise and unorganized as the weather system, as a whole heads toward the east. Locality (regionally as well) it could be coming from any various directions due to the unorganized nature of the common weather systems that pass through. Unlike, for example the Pacific Northwest of the states where most of the weather systems come directly from the west in an organized cyclonic system  

Edited by 0james0

3 hours ago, 33 RPM said:

in my home country 95 % of the weather came from one direction, im just wondering if its similar here year by year or not.

No and it has been explained to you already. You are in the tropics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 33 RPM said:

Thankyou,

i am aware of the numerous "live " radar etc maps of the current weather and do use them frequently

i was more meaning if there is a general direction from where the major rain / storms come from

Nope. It's monsoonal.

Comes from wherever,whenever

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, unheard said:

@33 RPM

"which direction the weather mainly comes from"

Seasonal:

monsoon.PNG

Yes, it's seasonal, with a definite shift in wind directions that you can sense.  They change the landing/take off patterns at CNX depending on the season.  We live far enough away that there isn't much noise, but close enough to see aircraft climb north and make the turn to the east when heading to Bangkok this time of year.  Soon direction will reverse and they'll be landing from the north.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1