Driving in Thailand

Aussie999

1 hour ago, yeahbutif said:

The IDP is not in thai so doy see the point of it but yes need one ..lol 

The purpose of the IDP is to put in a common format the precise vehicles the bearer is permitted by his home country to drive.  A foreign police officer need only check the IDP page that shows what they are permitted to drive without deciphering the hundreds upon hundreds (US has at least 50 different ones) driver's licenses in the world to see what specific vehicles it covers.

For example, a Thai cop stops you on a motorcycle.  You hand him your driver's license and IDP.  He consults the IDP, if A class is checked it means you have permission to drive a motorcycle in your home country.  He doesn't have to decipher your home driver's license, just look for the A class endorsement in your IDP.  This whole purpose is to make that accurate determination easier for the cop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Nope the idp is in English not Thai. Dont need it.

The purpose of the IDP is to make it crystal clear to the police officer that the bearer is qualified to drive a certain kind of vehicle (for example, motorcycle or car).  It does this in a very easy to understand format.  If class A is stamped in the IDP then bearer is ok for motorcycles, if B is stamped then bearer is ok for cars.  This is much better than having the police officer decipher a driver's license which is likely not in his native language and in one of hundreds of different formats issued by countries/states around the world.  It's to make the cop's job of accurately determining whether you are driving legally or not easier.

7 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The purpose of the IDP is to make it crystal clear to the police officer that the bearer is qualified to drive a certain kind of vehicle (for example, motorcycle or car).  It does this in a very easy to understand format.  If class A is stamped in the IDP then bearer is ok for motorcycles, if B is stamped then bearer is ok for cars.  This is much better than having the police officer decipher a driver's license which is likely not in his native language and in one of hundreds of different formats issued by countries/states around the world.  It's to make the cop's job of accurately determining whether you are driving legally or not easier.

Not Thai law. Since 1962 an Aussie DL has been valid.

People should look up the driving laws not rely on bar talk.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The purpose of the IDP is to put in a common format the precise vehicles the bearer is permitted by his home country to drive.  A foreign police officer need only check the IDP page that shows what they are permitted to drive without deciphering the hundreds upon hundreds (US has at least 50 different ones) driver's licenses in the world to see what specific vehicles it covers.

For example, a Thai cop stops you on a motorcycle.  You hand him your driver's license and IDP.  He consults the IDP, if A class is checked it means you have permission to drive a motorcycle in your home country.  He doesn't have to decipher your home driver's license, just look for the A class endorsement in your IDP.  This whole purpose is to make that accurate determination easier for the cop.

So, how does that work with my Aussie HR license...lol

16 minutes ago, skatewash said:

does this in a very easy to understand format.  If class A is stamped in the IDP then bearer is ok for motorcycles, if B is stamped then bearer is ok for cars.  This is much better than having the

An IDP doesnt have any extra info on it. An Aussie licence will say Truck, Car or Motorbike. 

An IDP says the same in English.

Any phone ap can translate words in the 1 million to one chance you need to do it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I got HR too. IDPs are just cardboard. I had one years ago. $40 for cardboard.

Yeah, and a Thai cop will not understand, in my case, what HR means... even worse if fron NZ, which only has class numbers, eg Class 1, Class 2 etc.

5 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Yeah, and a Thai cop will not understand, in my case, what HR means... even worse if fron NZ, which only has class numbers, eg Class 1, Class 2 etc.

Which is why you get an IDP issued in Australia where they do know what that means.  Thai cop just has to check the IDP and the vehicle you are driving.  If you have A on motorcycle, OK.  If you have B in a car, OK.  Doesn't need to understand what an Australian HR is.  I haven't a clue what that is.  If it entitles you to drive a motorcycle A will be stamped in your IDP, if it entitles you to drive a car B will be stamped in your IDP.  Why in the world should a Thai cop know what an HR license is?  That's the purpose of the IDP.

Get stopped and show an IDP and home driver's license -->  No problem.  Takes 45 seconds on average,

Get stopped and show just a home driver's license --> good enough sometimes if the officer wants to not insist on the IDP.  Bet it takes more than 45 seconds if he does.

Edited by skatewash

Which is why you get an IDP issued in Australia where they do know what that means.  Thai cop just has to check the IDP and the vehicle you are driving.  If you have A on motorcycle, OK.  If you have B in a car, OK.  Doesn't need to understand what an Australian HR is.  I haven't a clue what that is.  If it entitles you to drive a motorcycle A will be stamped in your IDP, if it entitles you to drive a car B will be stamped in your IDP.  Why in the world should a Thai cop know what an HR license is?  That's the purpose of the IDP.

Get stopped and show an IDP and home driver's license -->  No problem.  Takes 45 seconds on average,

Get stopped and show just a home driver's license --> good enough sometimes if the officer wants to not insist on the IDP.  Bet it takes more than 45 seconds if he does.

Ive never been asked in 20 years. HR is heavy rigid truck licence.

Why do you think Thai cops know A and B but not car?

33 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

You don't know Thai laws. Been legal since 1962. Driven in 30 different provinces. Never been asked for and IDP by police or car rental places.

you allegedly drive with a foreign licence, no IDP? not been stopped by police?

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

How come you know so little about Thai driving laws? Been in place since 1962. I have driven from BKK to Laos. Driven around the north, south.

Not once has a cop asked for a DL.

A IDP has no more info on it than a normal DL.

Learn Thai road rules. Don't make up your own theories. 

How long you been in Thailand and still don't know the rules?

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

He's apparently never been stopped at a checkpoint by police.  That's certainly possible depending on where you live or travel in Thailand.  Some places like Phuket for instance police check points are fairly common.  He is not well-informed on this issue and doesn't appear to comprehend the purpose of the IDP.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 2

He's apparently never been stopped at a checkpoint by police.  That's certainly possible depending on where you live or travel in Thailand.  Some places like Phuket for instance police check points are fairly common.  He is not well-informed on this issue and doesn't appear to comprehend the purpose of the IDP.

I went through a checkpoint in Isaan. Just waved in. In Bangkok a cop let me do a U turn by stopping traffic.

An IDP has no purpose in Thailand unless your insurance policy says it is a must or your licence is not in English.

An Aussie DL is valid in Thailand. Meets criteria since 1962. 60 years ago.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Two different things a play here... 

What Police think the law is Vs What the Law is !!!

Firstly - Some police ask for an IDP, try arguing that with a Police officer who doesn’t know the law, but has learnt it from his colleagues who in turn learnt from his colleagues etc etc...  

So.. Its advisable for tourists to have an IDP, but the letter of the law does not require a tourist to carry an IDP. 

For many visitors on a Tourist Visa or Visa exempt entry, with driving licences issued in countries which are signatories to either the 1949 Geneva, or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic an IDP is not required IF the driving license issued in the home country has a photo ID and is in English. 

Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522 (1979) - translated below, highlights this: 

Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

https://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Signatories listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

----------------

Those on resident Visa’s (i.e. Non-Imm O and Non-Imm B etc) need to get a Thai Driving Licence. 

That discussion is covered here. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1039100-international-driving-permit/

The average Thai cop doesn't speak much English. They wouldn't know an IDP from a DL.

They look for Burmese and Cambodians not farangs.

43 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Yeah i think he's making it up, i doubt he's even been to Thailand by his questions he's been asking in the past

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Two different things in play here... 

Firstly - Some police ask for an IDP, try arguing that you don’t need one with a Police officer who doesn’t know the law, but has learnt it from his colleagues who in turn learnt from his colleagues etc etc...  

So.. Its advisable for tourists to have an IDP, but the letter of the law does not require a tourist to carry an IDP. 

For many visitors on a Tourist Visa or Visa exempt entry, with driving licences issued in countries which are signatories to either the 1949 Geneva, or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic an IDP is not required IF the driving license issued in the home country has a photo ID and is in English. 

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Signatories listed here:

----------------

Those on resident Visa’s (i.e. Non-Imm O and Non-Imm B etc) need to get a Thai Driving Licence. 

In the real world of what actually happens, in Pattaya, police would laugh in your face if you show them a foreign licence, more money for them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

My NZ DL has the class category number accompanied by pictures of the class represented - for me, car and motorcycle.

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

I started this thread, to quantify things for a mate, who has just arrived in Thailand.
For all those that "know" Thai road rules, and refuse facts, even international agreements, I have used my Australian License in Phuket, Pattaya, Mukdahan, and Chiang Mai, including all province's/towns/etc in between, have been stopped at many check points and shown my Aussie license, and have experienced no problems, NOT once being asked for IDP.

So, can we now put an end to this thread, and stop the bickering.

If you know the answer why bother asking the question, weird 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Two different things in play here... 

Firstly - Some police ask for an IDP, try arguing that you don’t need one with a Police officer who doesn’t know the law, but has learnt it from his colleagues who in turn learnt from his colleagues etc etc...  

Signatories listed here:

----------------

Expand  

In the real world of what actually happens, in Pattaya, police would laugh in your face if you show them a foreign licence, more money for them

Don’t you have a Thai Licence ???......   The Police in Pattaya always laugh in your face when you show them your foreign licence ???... otherwise how would you know this ???

That said: I do agree with your point, its just easier and avoids hassle if you have an IPD to accompany a foreign licence... 

But, if someone has already arrived in Thailand and does not have an IDP and can’t get one, they they can legally drive in Thailand on their Foreign licence if its in English, has Photo ID and is from one of the countries signatory to either the 1949 or 1968 convention on road traffic. 

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t you have a Thai Licence ???......   The Police in Pattaya always laugh in your face when you show them your foreign licence ???... otherwise how would you know this ???

That said: I do agree with your point, its just easier and avoids hassle if you have an IPD to accompany a foreign licence... 

But, if someone has already arrived in Thailand and does not have an IDP and can’t get one, they they can legally drive in Thailand on their Foreign licence if its in English, has Photo ID and is from one of the countries signatory to either the 1949 or 1968 convention on road traffic. 

I have a thai licence, but over the years I've seen loads of posts about this subject on facebook and on forums, why do you think so many people get thai licences? Pattaya will be different to Nikon nowhere places where no one cares

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have a thai licence, but over the years I've seen loads of posts about this subject on facebook and on forums,

You have seen loads of posts that Pattaya Policemen don’t accept foreign licences ???

Strange, I haven’t.... But I have seen lots of posts where foreigners are stopped and believe the BiB are targeting foreigners... 

why do you think so many people get thai licences?

Because thats the law...  If you are on a resident visa (non-Imm etc) you need to have a Thai licence. 

It’s also a good ID to carry around. 

It also shows the BiB that ‘you know the game’ if stopped and are not a tourist to be fleeced - which what I guess your point it. 

Pattaya will be different to Nikon nowhere places where no one cares

Agreed... the main tourist area’s are always a good money earner for the corrupt BiB - they hope a foreigner is not wearing  helmet, or can’t show a copy of the green-book, or is on an untaxed vehicle etc....  

And, if a Policeman pulls over a tourist (i.e. a British Tourist) riding a motorcycle with a British Car licence, they rightfully fine them...  

Its the motorcyclist in Pattaya who are targeted because the BiB know so many of them are not properly licensed. They don’t bother so much with car drivers unless its night time for a DUI check point.

IF a Policeman in Pattaya stops a driver who has a British Driving license, I don’t think the BiB laugh in their faces... they may ask for an IDP..  it then depends how well you communicate with them and inform them its not needed... mileage clearly varies. 

I’ve been pulled over twice in Pattaya (area) - One for speeding another for being in the right hand lane when I ’should’ have been in the left....  (I’d just passed another vehicle). 

Both times the BiB were clearly chancing it...   I argued my point, they couldn’t prove speeding (couldn’t even tell me how fast I was going), and the second one I just laughed, of course I was, I was passing another car....  Both situations they realised they were getting absolutely nowhere. 

- The point I want to make there is: Sometimes foreigners get pulled over for a ’nothing reason’ then come on here and moan about it thinking they’ve been targeted, when really, just like every other motorist in the area they have been politely extorted by the BiB. 

--------

All of that said: I do believe it easier for a tourist to carry an IDP - I’ve said that all along.

But I do believe you will want to find something to argue with even if agreeing with me !! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've seen loads of posts about this subject on facebook and on forums, why do you think so many people get thai licences?

Cause it is the law if living there. Those on TV and exempt dont need it.

Most posts on forums are from backpackers on motorbikes no motorbike licence which is against the law.

• Thumbs Up 1