Please suggest a self defence for my age?

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

At 62 you got a much higher chance of a real serious problem by engaging, than by simply diffusing or removing yourself.

Dont ever let your ambitions over rule your capabilities ????????

I agree that it's best not to engage and do whatever one can to diffuse the situation, but that shouldn't translate into NOT being aware of your surroundings and/or reading other peoples body language and facial expressions.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks. He is ok now - except that he is back in the UK. ???? 

I am sure he walked the same route roughly the same time many times. Normally no problem... 

I got abused by a Thai guy in a bar in KK for no reason just walking past 10pm. Must have hated farangs.

2 minutes ago, DBath said:

I agree that it's best not to engage and do whatever one can to diffuse the situation, but that shouldn't translate into NOT being aware of your surroundings and/or reading other peoples body language and facial expressions.

1 dont walk alone after 1am

2 stay near other people, yell out if needed, dont engage a fight

3 if you have to fight use a headlock. 2 guys tried to fight me, i put the first into a headlock and threw him into the 2nd guy, they both fell over. I got away. Dont try to punch or use muay thai unless you are very good. A headlock works best and they dont expect it. They expect a punch or kick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Keep a low profile, avoid confrontation, walk away. I don't carry more than one thousand baht at any time.

It is highly unlikely anyone will attack in broad daylight, I avoid going out at night unless absolutely necessary.

As a last resort against someone who was determined to attack me, I was taught by my jiu-jitsu instructor to ignore everything else, and attack the balls. AFAIK it's also the training given to staff in asylums to subdue male mental patients.

'...Male mental patients' same as crazy Thai's who hate farangs. ????

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

3 if you have to fight use a headlock. 2 guys tried to fight me, i put the first into a headlock and threw him into the 2nd guy, they both fell over. I got away. Dont try to punch or use muay thai unless you are very good. A headlock works best and they dont expect it. They expect a punch or kick.

I agree and have used similar tactics (I'm a big fan of the headlock in the appropriate situation). Running, for me however, is out of the question - as has been proposed by a few others here - I just can't stoop to that. Walking briskly - hell yeah!!

Edited by DBath

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

It was a nice looking bar. Asahi beers. Abused me in English. Probably trying to act tough in front of his mates. 

You were lucky you did not start a fight. Being assaulted is one thing; getting in a fight is another. 

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

You were lucky you did not start a fight. Being assaulted is one thing; getting in a fight is another. 

I kept walking. I bought stuff at 7/11 was eating as I walked. There was 6 of them. Guy must be a fake tough guy in front of his mates.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

I kept walking. I bought stuff at 7/11 was eating as I walked. There was 6 of them. Guy must be a fake tough guy in front of his mates.

He was probably trying to show off his English ability; if he’d wanted to look hard, he’d have not chosen an elderly farang.

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Im not old. Im tall and strong.

That's the sort of talk that gets you into fights.
I could kid myself that I could deck anyone I squared up against, but I could not kid myself that more people would jump in on my side than on his.
You should not need to come to Thailand to learn that, and you should not need to learn that the hard way.

SC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, and do you know how to handle that blade?

And would you suggest that our 62 year old member, who probably never fought with a knife, should learn how to fight with it?

I've been carrying a knife most my adult life. It's a tool, nothing more. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How many times have you needed to use that knife in self defence ?

How often has your mugger needed to use his knife in self defence?
I don't want to get involved in a gun fight or a knife fight - that's how people get killed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How many times have you needed to use that knife in self defence ?

The idea of carrying a knife is foreign to many men. Sort of like guys who wear a belt just because even though it's not needed. For me it's just a natural accessory.

I don't carry it with the thought of self defense, I've never used it for that. But, but even unopened it a nice weapon.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

The idea of carrying a knife is foreign to many men. Sort of like guys who wear a belt just because even though it's not needed. For me it's just a natural accessory.

I don't carry it with the thought of self defense, I've never used it for that. But, but even unopened it a nice weapon.

And would you use it? To do what?

Let's say maybe a drug addict would randomly attack me and let's assume I would carry a knife with me.

Let's say the attacker kicks me. Would I then take the knife out? Would I hope the attacker sees that knife and runs away? And what if he doesn't run?

So next time that guy tries to kick me again I try to stab him. Do I want to injure him or do I want to kill him?

If I injure him, would that stop the fight? Let's not forget we have a crazy drug user in front of us who needs his shot? Will he just back down? Or will he continue with the fight?

And then? Let's say I handle that knife perfectly and stab him in the heart. He is lying on the floor bleeding. And then? Explain that to the police in Thailand?

My point is that escalation is more likely to make the situation worse - in many ways.

If someone would attack me I would probably (try to) give him my money. Here, take it.

That's not the hero move. But likely I will live another day and I don't have to go to the hospital.

And I prefer to pay 10,000 B and stay healthy. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, and do you know how to handle that blade?

And would you suggest that our 62 year old member, who probably never fought with a knife, should learn how to fight with it?

Rule #1. Anyone that attacks you is likely waaaaay more experienced at fighting than you are ( unless trained in the Rambo school of warfare ).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So next time that guy tries to kick me again I try to stab him. Do I want to injure him or do I want to kill him?

As I understand it, cops are not trained to injure if it comes down to lethal weapons, because injuries do not stop someone attacking. They are trained to kill.

Real fighting is not like in the movies, though that is the closest that most of us will come to a knife/ gun fight.

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I got abused by a Thai guy in a bar in KK for no reason just walking past 10pm. Must have hated farangs.

I got abused by an American sitting next to me in a bar on Walking Street, despite giving him no reason to do so. I waited till he went to the loo and left, as he was bigger and stronger than I, and I don't like getting hit by anyone.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Have a fake wallet. Stuff it with small bills. Throw it one direction - walk/run in the other.

Lol. This is Thailand. One of the greatest things about living here is not worrying about this sort of stuff.

Move back home. Then your worrying may be of use

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

1/ that would be unusual for me in LOS unless with a BG, as I didn't go out with friends in LOS. Never had a problem alone after 1 am in LOS. More worried about attackers in western countries, which are rife with scumbags.

2/ Never assume anyone else will help you.

3/ LOL. More likely that while you have one in a headlock the other(s) will be hitting you in the head.

4/ Don't use your hand. It's more likely to end up with broken bones. Forehead is strong though.

5/ "They" indicates more than one, ergo you probably lost before it started.

6/ Best plan is avoidance, second best run.

What you want to do if someone tries to mug you is pull out your wallet, hold it up and say, "This is not a lot but it's as good a start as any. You look like you have never invested in your life. Let me show you how and what's in here could turn into a million bucks. It's all about patience and timing."

Then pull out a fake document from your pocket, "Look if I am going to be your advisor we need to get this on paper. I hope you don't mind if I ask you to sign an agreement. It keeps us both safe. And there's insurance as well which will cover your family in case of an accident. Never trust the Government to pick up the tab. Here let me explain."

By this time if the guy hasn't sprinted off I can't help you.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And would you use it? To do what?

Let's say maybe a drug addict would randomly attack me and let's assume I would carry a knife with me.

Let's say the attacker kicks me. Would I then take the knife out? Would I hope the attacker sees that knife and runs away? And what if he doesn't run?

If I injure him, would that stop the fight? Let's not forget we have a crazy drug user in front of us who needs his shot? Will he just back down? Or will he continue with the fight?

And then? Let's say I handle that knife perfectly and stab him in the heart. He is lying on the floor bleeding. And then? Explain that to the police in Thailand?

My point is that escalation is more likely to make the situation worse - in many ways.

If someone would attack me I would probably (try to) give him my money. Here, take it.

That's not the hero move. But likely I will live another day and I don't have to go to the hospital.

And I prefer to pay 10,000 B and stay healthy. 

Up to you. Me, I prefer not to be a victim.