Indian national files complaint to Pattaya Police after 6,600 USD in cash allegedly went missing from a hotel’s safe box in Pattaya

webfact

21 hours ago, gearbox said:

I don't think any travel insurance covers cash theft, otherwise many people would be claiming arbitrary amounts.

Mine did, but the money had to be on you before it was stolen. 

My wallet was beside the bed on the dresser and someone lifted it, so insurance didn't pay.

Pattaya and 250,000 baht is NOT a lot you Charlie Cheapies Charlie Cheapskates Cheapskate Charlies!!!!!    Not everyone is on a fixed pension of 38,000 baht.

I remember hearing about this scam over 10 years ago.......word travels slow I guess.  

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I always prefer to keep valuables is a locked luggage in the room. It is inconspicuous, and it is too easy to get into a hotel safe. 

And doesn't look suspicious when someone walks out with it. The bags with zips are very easy to open. Locks on cases are usually pretty simple too.... I lost some cash from a locked bag once....

On 10/10/2022 at 6:48 AM, phetphet said:

Most half decent hotels seem to have CCTV covering access to rooms nowadays. Should be easy to see if anyone entered the room.

First time to Thailand?     First day here?   Welcome!!!!

Had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting two very mad Europeans.  Stayed at the same cheap hotel in Chiang Mai, the CCTV camera showed the maid moving the cameras with her broom, and 40,000 baht was stolen.   She even confessed, then did a runner.  They went to the police a few times and had the video.   They left still very upset, almost tried to blame me for not doing more (I was friends with the owner and looked at the video, but I'm not getting involved).  I remember the maid crying, the owner saying the maid was poor, and this was like 10 years ago or longer.   I knew back then to never have 40,000 in my room.........not in LOS!!!!  In America, 5 million is fine.  

I wanted to ask them if they got anything back, but I have a feeling they had to PAY more for a police report and left with zero.

Maid was from Burma.   bye bye....

Edited by Iamfalang
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And doesn't look suspicious when someone walks out with it. The bags with zips are very easy to open. Locks on cases are usually pretty simple too.... I lost some cash from a locked bag once....

It is a deterrent. Not a foolproof solution. But, neither are the safes. I have never lost a bag in a room. Have had significant amounts of cash locked in a bag and it has never gone missing. 

And this is mostly about crimes of convenience. Having valuables, gold, your passport, and cash locked up is far better than having it exposed. It is unlikely a visitor to your room is going to attempt to take your luggage with them, when they leave. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is unlikely a visitor to your room is going to attempt to take your luggage with them, when they leave. 

Haha, the state I have been in they could have taken the furniture! I actually feel better about room safes than locking money etc in a case. I will admit that up in Nakhon Nowhere, I have put money in a shoulder bag, padlocked, that into a locked case, then used one of those computer security cables to tie that down to some heavy furniture.