Poll shows most Thais unable to earn enough to make ends meet

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, sambum said:

And their daughters/granddaughters are doing what?

Well that's a good question and I don't really feel comfortable asking the source of their "wealth" as i don't know them that well,  but whatever they are doing they must be very successful at it as they don't seem to have suffered any negative effects due to Covid or the destruction of the tourist industry

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Some massage girls make 4000 baht a day. Work 20 days a month, AVG 3000 baht is 60,000. Rent 3,500. Saving 50,000. 

Not arguing with your post or math, however I am pretty sure that most massage girls do not make that much per day!

15 hours ago, jonclark said:

Maybe if we walked a mile in their shoes we would have a better understanding of their lives.

Its not my fault that parents of hookers were too lazy in their youth to go to school and eanr a degree. They just decided to stay home all day drinking lao khow with their friends and play cards. now all the money is dried up and they have no saftey net i bet many of those elderly village blokes wish they had paid more attention in school and got themselves a good paying job with pension instead of dossing about the field all day with their loser buddies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bob smith said:

Its not my fault that parents of hookers were too lazy in their youth to go to school and eanr a degree. They just decided to stay home all day drinking lao khow with their friends and play cards. now all the money is dried up and they have no saftey net i bet many of those elderly village blokes wish they had paid more attention in school and got themselves a good paying job with pension instead of dossing about the field all day with their loser buddies. 

A pension in Thailand, never heard of such a thing. 5555

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

There are people who are the richest in the world and a top Government who will earn too much for what they do, but nobody cares about the common people. Only more holidays to spend more to boost the economy( read their pockets) instead of real solutions to solve debts, gambling,  education lack, roadsafety and floodings. Start with register all people where they really live and what they do, so if there is need you can help the right people. But now people living in the province but really staying and working in Bangkok makes things difficult to check.

(Fill their pockets or line their pockets with money) Greedy, Greedy people in government.

• Love It 1

16 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Some massage girls make 4000 baht a day. Work 20 days a month, AVG 3000 baht is 60,000. Rent 3,500. Saving 50,000. 

Maybe before Covid-19, but don't think they have been making this for the last 2 years along with hookers.

15 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Amazes me.

One kilo of raw chicken wings from Tesco's was 440 baht.  A day and half wages.  

In the US the same Kilogram of wings would be around 260 baht.  

Huge problem having two families own Tesco's, Big C, Makros, and 7/11.

Total monopoly. 

Who did they pay brown envelopes to in order to be approved to sell and open so many stores in Thailand?

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Most people in Thailand are unable to earn enough to cover their expenses, according to a Suan Dusit Poll, conducted online by Suan Dusit University and published on Sunday.

8 years of a military regime at the helm... the elites get it all and the peasants get grief.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not the case in Bangkok, every time I go there is constant a parade of Mercedes, Porsches, Alphards and models above.

Shopping malls are packed, luxury brands (Chanel, LV, Gucci etc) are in most of them and with so many customers they have to set a queue outside the door. 

Omakase restaurants (can be north of 5000b per person) are often fully booked. 

Unless you're at least in the high 6-figure earnings (USD), you'll feel kind of poor in Bangkok.

16 hours ago, Orinoco said:

And some farmers make 300 baht a day.

Ps, But some how they still find money for lottery tickets. 

16 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Daughters send some home..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stoner said:

which they could use to trade forex. 

Most Normal working Thais won't have the Knowledge to do this .   

Often perceived as an easy moneymaking career, forex trading is actually quite difficult, though highly engaging. The foreign exchange market is the largest and most liquid market in the world, but trading currencies is very different from trading stocks or commodities.

Due to its high liquidity, 24/7 schedule, and easy accessibility, forex trading has emerged as a popular career, especially for people with a financial background. Being your own boss with the comforts of making money using your laptop/mobile is enough motivation for both young graduates and experienced professionals to consider forex trading as a career.

However, forex trading has its disadvantages, such as high risk and volatility.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jonclark said:

What a lot alot of expats often forget is that many, many people here not only have to support themselves with daily expenses, but also have aging parents at home, who with the absence of any sort of welfare or pension are entirely dependent on their kids to support them.  So a 300 baht daily wage is split many ways.

Maybe if we walked a mile in their shoes we would have a better understanding of their lives.

I agree with you but just to add that most Thais do not think about tomorrow , let alone the future . This means they will happily get into debt to buy say a new car whilst living in a shabby house . They also borrow money from loan sharks at a very high interest rate . Earning 300 baht a day = a low base living style . Imagine working as a labourer on a construction site in all weathers for 300 baht a day . Ladies of the night can earn 2000 baht in a couple of hours . No wonder there are so many lady boys around .

16 hours ago, jonclark said:

What a lot alot of expats often forget is that many, many people here not only have to support themselves with daily expenses, but also have aging parents at home, who with the absence of any sort of welfare or pension are entirely dependent on their kids to support them.  So a 300 baht daily wage is split many ways.

The problem is not supporting elderly parents (which I totally agree with). It's quite cheap to support a couple of old people in Isan. 

But many girls in their early 20s have to support parents who are in their 40s or even late 30s. In many cases they end up supporting also grandparents, uncles, aunts, brothers etc...many of which don't do any work and only rely on a slice of the money the girl sends every month.

Then they run into debt from buying land/houses/motorbikes or even gambling and the pressure on the poor girl is very high. If the money stops coming all hell breaks loose.

Edited by FarangFB
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, aussienam said:

monopolies of certain companies allowed to sell in supermarkets and reduced competition). 

You are so on spot!

The foreign company has to pay to get its food in the store.

Oreos, Kit Kat, M&M's dominate the chocolate section.

That's just an observation, it's lunch time.