Marriage extension quandary

I raised this earlier within another post, but didn't receive any responses as it was 'hidden'. So I'll try again.

I have a marriage extension which must be renewed on 23rd November. However, I need to go to Dubai on 18th December, returning on the 25th. It appears that I would not be able to get a re-entry permit as my return to Thailand would almost certainly be beyond the under consideration date (23rd December?). However, I was thinking of visiting my local immigration office in Kalasin and suggesting that an easy solution might be to give my report back date as 25th December instead of the expected 23rd, a date I could use on the re-entry permit I'd need.

Secondly, the situation is further complicated by the fact that I may need to go back to Dubai in mid-February for around two weeks. If in November I applied for a 60 day extension to 'visit' my wife rather than apply for my annual extension, that would expire in mid-January, and my new application made then for a one-year marriage extension would not be approved before mid-February when I might be away again.

I was wondering if a possible solution to that might be for me to enter on 25th December with no visa/extension and then apply before at the end of 60 days (?) for a new annual extension. I would be back at the beginning of March well before my under consideration date.

Any advice would be welcome, which I might use to politely suggest as a solution to immigration if need be.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a marriage extension which must be renewed on 23rd November. However, I need to go to Dubai on 18th December, returning on the 25th.

Obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

That will start from November 23.

Giving permission of stay till approx Jan 22.

Buy a reentry permit for your trips and apply for 12 month extension after you return prior to ~jan 22

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Do your extension earlier , say around the 10th November. You don't have to renew on the exact date your current extension expires.

He will have an under consideration report back for final stamp.

Might not fit schedule. 

Might be worth phoning them and asking if you can get a 2 month 'Under Consideration' stamp..this would give you until 23rd Jan to report back to IO, then you would be able to get a single entry, re-entry permit stamped into your passport when you go IO on 23rd Nov for renewal.

For some reason my last under consideration stamp was for two months (i have know idea why)

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
10 minutes ago, Denim said:

Do your extension earlier , say around the 10th November. You don't have to renew on the exact date your current extension expires.

Thanks. But it doesn't matter if I apply early, it is not actioned until the due date. I discovered that last time, effectively meaning I was under consideration for six weeks.

9 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

For some reason my last under consideration stamp was for two months (i have know idea why)

Some immigration offices start the under consideration period from date of expiry of current permit.

If you apply month early then the period can be longer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks. But it doesn't matter if I apply early

I didn't suggest early.

A 60 extension based on visit wife pushes your permission of stay back by 2 months.

Apply for 12 month extension approx Jan 22. 

Final stamp would be ~ month later

Had the same problem. Tried everything but imm. wouldn't give me a break. Had to let the extension go. While out of the country had time to get an 90 day  non imm-o. The reason I went that route is that I leave every year about the same time due to work. Any other route, getting the 90 after 2 months in the country, then getting the one year would put me in the same situation next year.

21 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Had the same problem. Tried everything but imm. wouldn't give me a break

Why should they.

Thailand has some of the most flexible options for retirement and marriage.

Pity it doesn't fit with some folks.

Perhaps a ME Non O marriage each year might be an option.

Yet another example of Thailand visa options.

Geez. 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why should they.

Geez. 

Life in Thailand is "funny".  When the authority does not enforce rules, we complain (example: traffic police).  But when the authority enforce rules strictly, we complain they are not flexible.

I agree with DrJack45, "Thailand has some of the most flexible options for retirement and marriage".

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I didn't suggest early.

A 60 extension based on visit wife pushes your permission of stay back by 2 months.

Apply for 12 month extension approx Jan 22. 

Final stamp would be ~ month later

I was replying to Denim, not you, and somehow things got mixed up.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why should they.

Geez. 

Well I wasn't asking for the moon. I went in early to get my extension explaining that I needed to fly out in a month due to my work. In the past they would let me call in and if the extension was back from BKK they would let me come in and get it. Not this time, they set the time exactly one month after my year extension ended, four days after I needed to be back at work. I still called in two days before my flight, but they refused to look. You can take their side if you want but I still feel they could have worked with me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a matter of perspective. My Thai sister-in-law married a Dutchman and they are living in Hungary. She was given a five year permission to stay. No 90 day reports, no renewal with lots of forms and photos every year. No bureaucratic nonsense. Just simple.

Same here. A bit of paper work at first, but my wife got 5 year greencard. No reporting in, and the extension in 5 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Well I wasn't asking for the moon. I went in early to get my extension explaining that I needed to fly out in a month due to my work. In the past they would let me call in and if the extension was back from BKK they would let me come in and get it. Not this time, they set the time exactly one month after my year extension ended, four days after I needed to be back at work. I still called in two days before my flight, but they refused to look. You can take their side if you want but I still feel they could have worked with me.

Previously they "bent" the rules to accommodate your request.  Now they stick to the rules and you whine.

In HH I would go to immigration 45 days before expiry of my current extension, which is the earliest you can do here, then pick up passport after 30 days (still 15 days before expiry) and do the reentry permit at the same time. You would have your passport back way before your travel date, even if in Kalasin you could renew 30 days before expiry only as it appears to be in some provinces.

3 hours ago, Thalueng said:

In HH I would go to immigration 45 days before expiry of my current extension, which is the earliest you can do here, then pick up passport after 30 days (still 15 days before expiry) and do the reentry permit at the same time. You would have your passport back way before your travel date, even if in Kalasin you could renew 30 days before expiry only as it appears to be in some provinces.

It doesn't matter how far in advance you apply, they don't action it until the due date. At Kalasin, which is forwarded to Khon Kaen, anyway. And I don't know what you mean by 'pick up passport' as they don't keep it.

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It doesn't matter how far in advance you apply, they don't action it until the due date. At Kalasin, which is forwarded to Khon Kaen, anyway. And I don't know what you mean by 'pick up passport' as they don't keep it.

Not in HH anyway. You apply 45 days before expiry of the extension, from that day the 30 days under consideration start counting, you don't get a one month extension but directly a 12 month extension starting from the previous expiration date. And yes, good observation, I should have said 'you pick up your passport with the new extension and the reentry permit', you don't leave the passport at the IO, thought this is obvious as no country or official is authorised to keep your passport except the country who issued the passport.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2022 at 7:41 PM, DrJack54 said:
On 10/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a marriage extension which must be renewed on 23rd November. However, I need to go to Dubai on 18th December, returning on the 25th.

Obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

That will start from November 23.

Giving permission of stay till approx Jan 22.

Buy a reentry permit for your trips and apply for 12 month extension after you return prior to ~jan 22

Following your seemingly excellent advice I went to the Kalasin office today, and came up with a blank. They said as I have a current one-year extension, albeit about to expire on the 23rd - I cannot have a 60-day one. After several minutes of conferring with a colleague and my wife he thought the best solution would be to pop over to Laos, get a 45-day permission to stay upon my return, leave for Dubai on 18th December and after coming back in on 25th to then return to the office and apply for a new one-year. He refused my suggestion that my under consideration day until 23rd December be moved to 25th, saying it had to be 30 days (even though in reality and in my experience it can take longer).

Mukdahan is less than two hours from home, I can be back in time for lunch after taking part in their pantomime, and I might actually save money, if not time, by not paying for a 60-day and re-entry fee.

The whole experience was a little unnerving, as the IO was smiling and trying to be helpful, something I've not experienced before in my 26 years in Thailand. I'll now be looking up the latest info on what Laos wants from me, paper application or electronic, and the fee.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dunno, but I'd simply leave without reentry permit  and restart with visa exempt, 60 days to visit wife and Thai wife extension.

Or change visa, OA, OX, Elite? if you travel a lot.

Was known to be a lateral stinker.

Edited by Boomer6969

32 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Dunno, but I'd simply leave without reentry permit  and restart with visa exempt, 60 days to visit wife and Thai wife extension.

Or change visa, OA, OX, Elite? if you travel a lot.

Was known to be a lateral stinker.

As I just wrote, that's what I'm doing. It's 45 days at a land border, 60 by air, by the way. WHY, WFS?

It's so nice having to ask for permission to visit my wife of 32 years.

@Bangkok Barry Been following the thread althogh it doesn't apply to my situation. The inflexibility of the system in your case must be so frustrating. Seems like you asked them everything to no avail. Wishing you luck and easiest resolution to your situation. Hopefully the Land of Visas can offer an option for future.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As I just wrote, that's what I'm doing. It's 45 days at a land border, 60 by air, by the way. WHY, WFS?

A visa exempt entry is by air or land is 45 days. Not sure where you got the 60 day number. Both can be extended for 30 days.

I suspect you could not apply for the 60 day extension due to getting one since your last entry to the country with a new permit to stay. A re-entry permit is not considered a new entry since it was issued for existing permit to stay.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:08 AM, Thalueng said:

you don't leave the passport at the IO, thought this is obvious as no country or official is authorised to keep your passport except the country who issued the passport.

Quite common at my office that there is no one available to sign and they suggest you leave your passport and collect it next day.

Of course you are free to leave with your passport and no stamp, up to you.

Strikes me, a receipt from immigration is better than a passport without valid permission to stay.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa exempt entry is by air or land is 45 days. Not sure where you got the 60 day number. Both can be extended for 30 days.

I suspect you could not apply for the 60 day extension due to getting one since your last entry to the country with a new permit to stay. A re-entry permit is not considered a new entry since it was issued for existing permit to stay.

Thanks for the clarification re 45/60 days. I've not previously had any 60-day extension, if that is what you mean. If you mean an extension and I think you do, then yes, I'm on my third annual due to marriage.

Anyway, doing the border hop instead saves me money. Just wastes several hours of my time as I play their silly game of departing the country for an hour. Enter Laos, sit and have a leisurely Beer Lao at the border post, return to Thailand. What's not to like ????

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've not previously had any 60-day extension, if that is what you mean. If you mean an extension and I think you do, then yes, I'm on my third annual due to marriage.

No I don't mean that. The only rule is that you can only get one 60 day extension per entry to the country.

It does matter how many on year extensions you have gotten. Maybe you you should call the immigration helpline at 1178 to get your the office you are dealing with sorted out since they are completely wrong.

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Anyway, doing the border hop instead saves me money. Just wastes several hours of my time as I play their silly game of departing the country for an hour. Enter Laos, sit and have a leisurely Beer Lao at the border post, return to Thailand. What's not to like ????

If you don't mind doing a unneeded border hop that is up to you.

How does a border save you money?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No I don't mean that. The only rule is that you can only get one 60 day extension per entry to the country.

It does matter how many on year extensions you have gotten. Maybe you you should call the immigration helpline at 1178 to get your the office you are dealing with sorted out since they are completely wrong.

If you don't mind doing a unneeded border hop that is up to you.

How does a border save you money?

On your first point, I have no intention of making anyone at my local office lose face by reporting to 1178 that they don't know their own rules at Kalasin. I know they previously got into hot water for allowing someone to dip into his 400,000 between getting his bank letter and submitting his application. On the second point, the solution they came up with - albeit one they didn't need to suggest - means that instead o paying 1900 for the 60-day extension and the fee for a re-entry permit (1000 for a single?) I'm paying 1500 to enter Laos. Saving me 1400. The IO actually mentioned the saving to me.