New self-drive tourism manual for ASEAN countries available for tourists

webfact

Hopefully they put in all of the EV charging station locations for the green travelers, and then all of the associated fees for crossing borders if driving and what is needed, oh wait this is for tourism, not folks that live here, how silly of me.  Just found out by accident that you can not drive a under 250cc motorbike into Laos without permission and only through using an agent can you possibly take a 125cc into the country.  I also wonder if the listed routes were not paid for by businesses who wanted the travelers to travel those routes instead of those wanting to drive/ride off the beaten patch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

For Thailand and Lao PDR.: Udon Thani-Vientiane-Luang Prabang, Ubon Ratchathani-Southern Lao PDR.-Khone Phapheng-Liphi-Wat Phou, Nakhon Phanom-Mukdahan-Savannakhet-Thakhek, and Loei-Luang Prabang;

Car hire places dont let you drice over boarders

Self drive holidays in Thailand are great. I often mention it to tourists but most are too fearful to try it.

The small tourist hotels designed for locals are good quality and great value

Driving in Malaysia is even easier but I find the off route hotels okay but not as good as Thailand.

Border crossing is a pain with the car permits etc

• Like 1

Most of the tourist I have talked to don't want to drive here. A book of the rules of the road is one thing, but when you see scooter drivers driving on your side of the road going in the opposite direction and on the sidewalks it says there are no rules here.

14 minutes ago, Road Hog said:

Most of the tourist I have talked to don't want to drive here. A book of the rules of the road is one thing, but when you see scooter drivers driving on your side of the road going in the opposite direction and on the sidewalks it says there are no rules here.

Bloody car coming at me going the wrong way on the Railway Line Bypass yesterday!

• Like 1

How about a self-walk manual for tourists?

Rule #1: Be very careful when you cross the road, even with zebra crossings and even if your light is green.

Rule #2: This is nature, and the rule of the bigger things are active. If you see a big truck, don't be so stupid to think he will stop for you. And even if the truck is not so big, don't make that mistake! 

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about a self-walk manual for tourists?

Rule #1: Be very careful when you cross the road, even with zebra crossings and even if your light is green.

Rule #2: This is nature, and the rule of the bigger things are active. If you see a big truck, don't be so stupid to think he will stop for you. And even if the truck is not so big, don't make that mistake! 

Excellent suggestion

This week I am in Singapore and enjoying walking around

- all roads have pavements/sidewalks

- Pavements/sidewalks are in good condition, no raised drain covers or loose bricks to trip up on

- no billboards, signs, street tables, hanging wires or other obstacle course 

- traffic stops at zebra crossings

- no stray soi dogs to bite you

Just wish I could afford to live here full-time

1 hour ago, SatEng said:

Excellent suggestion

This week I am in Singapore and enjoying walking around

- all roads have pavements/sidewalks

- Pavements/sidewalks are in good condition, no raised drain covers or loose bricks to trip up on

- no billboards, signs, street tables, hanging wires or other obstacle course 

- traffic stops at zebra crossings

- no stray soi dogs to bite you

Just wish I could afford to live here full-time

You shouldn't go to these other places. Because maybe you get used to the fact that things work.

And then you return to Thailand and you somehow assume that you can just walk without looking much and then accidents happen... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Bloody car coming at me going the wrong way on the Railway Line Bypass yesterday!

I still get scoots coming at me the wrong way between Khao Noi and Nernplubwan.

Stupid <deleted> have red headlights,  missed one by a cats whisker 2 nights ago...

I'll review my dash can footage, if it is clear footage at night I think next time I wont swerve to avoid.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:34 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Hopefully they put in all of the EV charging station locations for the green travelers, and then all of the associated fees for crossing borders if driving and what is needed, oh wait this is for tourism, not folks that live here, how silly of me.  Just found out by accident that you can not drive a under 250cc motorbike into Laos without permission and only through using an agent can you possibly take a 125cc into the country.  I also wonder if the listed routes were not paid for by businesses who wanted the travelers to travel those routes instead of those wanting to drive/ride off the beaten patch.

I am in Laos, I just finished one of the loops here sponsored by tourism. Total wast of money and a huge disapointment.