Security beefed up for APEC with Putin participating

snoop1130

looks like he's staying where he belongs, Ruzzia

Russia’s Ambassador to Thailand Evgeny Tomikhin on Wednesday denied news that Russian President Vladimir Putin would attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) Summit, saying that Moscow will make the best decision on this issue later.

"We will make the best decision on whether Russia will send a representative to attend the summit or not," he said, adding that the decision would be made when the summit is near.

https://www.nationthailand.com/world/asia-pacific/40020969

6 hours ago, gearbox said:

Well, from the sentence above I can't figure out if he is a rational actor or not. Something like a half pregnant woman? There are many actors in Thailand who miscalculated significantly how much their much younger gf loves them. However they may act rational in number of other circumstances. What are they in the end...rational or irrational actors?

And I haven't taken anything out of context...the headlines cry "Biden calls Putin rational actor"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-11/biden-calls-putin-rational-actor-who-miscalculated-with-war

Sorry, headlines - by their very nature - are tasking things out of context.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don’t think he will show up to dangerous and I’m sure he fears a coup imo it’s shameful he was invited in the first place perhaps there is a cheap energy deal in the offing or something of that nature 

2 hours ago, Slickrick said:

I really can't believe he will attend.  Who would want to sit down with him.

Good point, possibly several or more country leaders who have concerns that:

Sitting with him / being at the same meeting is sanctioning his actions.

Sitting with him / being at the same meeeting will damage their own reputation / damage their own standing and credibility.

Sitting with him / being at the same meeeting will produce misunderstanding who they support in the war. 

On 10/12/2022 at 12:49 AM, sammieuk1 said:

TAT will be very happy with this spot the criminal photo should boost tourism no end, Putin is a toxic war dog with most not wanting him to be on the same planet yet alone the same conference room as him  ????

image.jpeg

It's the Dick and <deleted> Show .... 

On 10/12/2022 at 9:34 AM, connda said:

For the Russia haters (and China, Iran, N. Korea, etc haters):

Do you understand what stops wars?  Dialogue and mutually beneficial trade. 
Do you know what stokes wars?  Shutting down diplomatic dialogue, imposing sanctions, and projecting hegemony.  And as a side note, it also creates parallel economies.

But haters will hate right up until they see that bright, white flash and mushroom cloud, and they'll take their hate to the grave with them. 

There are better and more rational ways to deal with Geo-political strife.
Ya'll are going to find that APEC is part of a growing parallel economic (and possibly a security) union as countries who were historically subject to colonial rule reject the possibility of it ever happening again.  Just saying............

Blimey I didn’t know we had Neville Chamberlain on the forum. You need to study your history if you think diplomacy and dialogue stops wars. It might do with rational people but it didn’t work with Hitler in 1939 and it hasn’t worked with Putin since 2014. As for mutually beneficial trade, where do you think Russia gets the money for the weapons it’s using to kill Ukrainian women and children? I can honestly say I’ve never seen a more misguided post than yours.

On 10/12/2022 at 9:57 AM, connda said:

Why not call them pigs, orcs, and sub-humans?

Those engaging in dehumanizing name calling obviously haven't studies history.
The rhetoric of hatred is exactly what creates the conditions of war. Dehumanizing those whom you hate makes you feel morally superior. Your leaders start the Song of War and their loyal citizenry fall in as the chorus in four part harmony.  War is money for many institutions and corporations. They furnish the orchestra.  Ethnic hatred fuels their profits.  And ya'll willingly participate.  It's really sad to watch.

President Putin and General Secretary Xi are rational actors.  Neither have anything to gain by war.  The current special military operation in Ukraine is being fought on Russia's border.  If China for instance created a military coalition of Central American countries and then clamored for Mexico to join the armed alliance - "to stop US aggression" - and perhaps place nuclear weapon in Mexico pointed at the US and Canada - what do you think the US would do?  Sit idly by and watch it happen?

Wars end with with rational people engaging in rapprochement, dialogue, trade and respect for the security and sovereignty of all nations.  Not by attempting to beat the nations of the world into hegemonic compliance.

What makes you think NATO has any interest in siting nuclear missiles in Ukraine? If they wanted them right next door to Russia, they’ve had 18 years to put them in Estonia but they don’t want to. And since when do ‘special military operations’ involve murdering and raping the local population. Are you getting paid to write this drivel?

‘The rhetoric of hatred is exactly what creates the conditions of war’...you mean like claiming Ukraine is stuffed full of nazis to justify invading?

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1