Expats have it good in Thailand.

swissie

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You've reminded me of Robert Muldoon's comment about Kiwis who emigrated from New Zealand to Australia. He said it raised the IQ of both countries.

and look what happened to Muldoon in the end....he got the push, from members of his own party!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

I felt being constantly ripped - off in Europe , banks , taxes , fees , even internet ... and that was 20 yrs ago ... today ? _ no comment . Of course there are negative aspects of living in Thailand as well . But I can handle this . Even Immigration is becoming more easy every year , once they know and remember you .

In winter ( dry season ) , I never need to spend money to keep warm . 55 . In Europe it is ' eat or heat ...

Yes I agree on the immigration front in small citys, but that can change as even here they have had a change of personnel a couple of times luckily I have had no problems at all, however if I was still in Chiang Mai i dont think the same would be true.

On the other points Im along for the ride and have a good life.

6 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Yes I agree on the immigration front in small citys, but that can change as even here they have had a change of personnel a couple of times luckily I have had no problems at all, however if I was still in Chiang Mai i dont think the same would be true.

On the other points Im along for the ride and have a good life.

Went to Chiang Mai immigration last week, in just before 9:30, back home by 11:30.

That was a 1 year family extension plus a Certificate of Residence for my driving licence.

Really can't complain, it was packed out, but it was working faster then ever.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

and many more young people are making a good life, paid off a house, and don't need a gf that is 23 years younger.   They could easily say the old guy who paid off his house and went to get the girl 23 years younger is a worse life!!!!

not sure why you have to insult young people, or think they are dumb or have a worse life.

that says something.   

rocks, glass houses 

just live your life and enjoy your own life, without thinking you understand others.

I dont usually get involved in others conversation, but where did they insult young people they pointed out that they were signing up for life times to buy over priced properties and given large loans when interest rates were low and many struggle as they rise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

some people value friends.   some value having a "home".  some value security.  some value relationships.  some value nice things.  some value nationalism.  some value freedom.  some value trust.  some value safe streets.  some value animal protection.  

none of these things you will get in LOS.  

BUT you will get a room, Pattaya girls!!!, and nobody will bother you until you die.

I'm not retired here, so I can joke all I want.   You are delusional if you think LOS is better than falangland.  It might be "better" for you because you can't enjoy what falang land has to offer, but that's like a homeless person creating a thread about how living in the park is better than a mansion.  In ways, it might be.  

Not sure why you can’t have those things in Thailand. For many retirees having nice warm weather, a range of good food options, imperfect but nice beaches, good accommodation options, sports etc, friends and yes things like massage and fun and entertainment can seem more attractive. Some older people could sit in a boring cold Australian suburb in a million dollar house or come to Thailand and have fun. Depends on your ties to your home country but the modern era makes communication easy. In terms of fun there is more Western arts etc in the west but now you can enjoy many things online. Rural life in Thailand could be potentially more fun than living in rural Australia. Not sure why living in Thailand has to be like a homeless person living in a park. You could spell out the fun in your home country that is so much better or not available in Thailand. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hummin said:

Those who moved 10 - 15 years ago, did not predict the strong baht, and many regret today they sold everything they had, and invested in a life here. 

I moved here in 2009, was getting 50 to the Bht, now I'm getting 42 to the Bht.

So a loss of 17%, but then my Brit pension has nearly doubled in that same time, while Thai inflation was very low so I'm quids in.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Went to Chiang Mai immigration last week, in just before 9:30, back home by 11:30.

That was a 1 year family extension plus a Certificate of Residence for my driving licence.

Really can't complain, it was packed out, but it was working faster then ever.

Boy that has changed it used to be get there at 4.30 am and join the queue, why I used an agent there.

Got a phone call yesterday my married visa was approved( I changed from an O-A) and to come in and get it put in my passport, had to go to town to buy football tickets anyway, went to our satellite office he was too busy so went to main office I was only one there, it does pay to live in the sticks sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The standard of living enjoyed by many here is far better than they would ever have achieved in their home country.

The positives here far outway the negatives for most. Its also fair to say that the country most have left actually no longer exists as it was when they were resident and is consigned to history and memories.

True. A major consideration of retiring to Thailand was not being able to have a working middle class retirement in the USA on my income. Here I am quite comfortable.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hummin said:

As long it is Status Q it will be good in the future, but we cant tell or predict how it is going to be. 

Those who moved 10 - 15 years ago, did not predict the strong baht, and many regret today they sold everything they had, and invested in a life here. 

It can be better, and it can be worse. So far I agree

Dollar to baht: 38.22 today.   As an American, happy to be living here.

• Like 1

I am living in Thailand for almost 20 years, and I am happy most of the time. Nice house, enviroment, food and neighbours. And yes I complain, as I surely would do in my home country too. But the complaints are just opinions to improve things, see it as positive critics. And with families it depends how you treat them.... It is sometimes easier than you think

• Thanks 2

After living in a gorgeous condo on the 33rd fl of Lebua, I returned to the USA 1 year ago for my daughter's wedding. 

15 months later, I can't wait to get the Hell out of here, and get back to BKK. I miss the culture, the smiles, and my 3 hour massages 4x a week.

My quality of life is so far superior in Thailand than living in the USA, it's not funny. 

The smiles are priceless.  As I sold everything I had years ago and arrived with 1 suitcase, I can do it again ! ! ! 

Arriving in February ! ! ! 

• Like 1

The problem in the non-US west is not paying heating bills over the winter. Families will survive. Families don't go bankrupt. The problem is economy collapse and deindustrialisation.

Zero own energy ressources. Not allowed to get energy from Russia. Not allowed to get energy from Iran.

When continental Europe goes down, which should be only a question of months now, the savings of many expats will go to.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

There is no way I could enjoy the same standard of living in Australia I have here. I don't even recognize Australia now from the country I grew up in.

In 1970, I bought a house in Melbourne. I paid off the mortgage in 18 months, to the chagrin of my bank manager at the time. Now, young people sign up for debt lasting 30 or 40 years, and quiver in trepidation every time there is an interest rate rise of one quarter of one percent.

What does Australia have to offer me? It certainly won't be comparative freedom from regulation, or a GF that is 23 years younger than me. It won't be a legal system that is not heavily biased in favor of women either.

Carping posters lose sight of the fact many expats in Thailand have had the guts to uproot themselves, learn a new language, and adjust to a different culture.

Every time I go back to Australia, I get the same reaction. The men envy me, the women hate me.

Agree. I knew I could not afford retirement in the USA on my $2400. USD a month. Last time I visited it was with my Thai GF, 28 yeats younger, I got the same reaction you state. … for those tempted to focus on the age difference, I am 75 so that tones down the age  thingy. Still …

30 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Depending on where you live, this can make a heck of a difference.  England is a very beautiful country, but the weather can be pretty awful sometimes, rainy and grey all day.  I'm not of retirement age, but I can imagine waking up in a warm environment and seeing the sun makes a big difference to an older person.

England (semi-rural where I lived) is a fine place to be in Spring. Summer is usually OK too. After I turned 60 I became more aware of the cold and damp in Winter. Pain in your extremities can make you very miserable. 

• Thumbs Up 2