Expats have it good in Thailand.

swissie

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

Why do people who have relocated here  to live expats ect 

Keep on trying to justify their reasons 

You made your bed so lie  on  it so to speak 

Take the good with the bad ????

Why should anything have to be bad? Just to make governments rich? Or in Thailands case, to make the soldiers rich.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:

It certainly beats living in the toilet that the UK has become.

Politically becoming as unstable as Italy with a revolving door of PMs unelected by the citizens.

Economy and cost of living crisis almost becoming impossible to survive in.

As far as Thai relatives spending too much of your money, all you need to do is say is no.

Obviously the Thai bureaucracy is beyond our control as mere guests.

Personally I love the hot weather which is one of the main reasons I retired here.

Wouldn't change my life here for anything.

well said ..UK is finished..sadly

36 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I could be if you didn't speak so badly of your GF - and tried to brag just a bit less... though I think that might be challenging for you - - you don't have me on ignore it seems? 

I sometimes take a peek, which usually confirms my original decision. The "challenging" putdown is an example of your inability to resist sniping.

I would like you to quote me a post I made which speaks badly of my GF, and I'll take you off ignore for that purpose - temporarily.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because in average all the stupid, poor, uneducated, etc. people won't go to live in another country.

Why, then, do we have so many here in Thailand, and -- at least those with rudimentary reading skills -- haunt this forum with their complaints? Some folks are never happy wherever they live -- and, sadly, many of those end up in Thailand. We can only hope that their 'never satisfied nature' will eventually rid them from Thailand. Fortunately, most farangs here are happy, decent residents of their new country -- and don't have the time to waste complaining on a forum or FB.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I moved here in 2009, was getting 50 to the Bht, now I'm getting 42 to the Bht.

So a loss of 17%, but then my Brit pension has nearly doubled in that same time, while Thai inflation was very low so I'm quids in.

We all have the tendency to look at our own situation in presence and claim we are safe, even again many expats do have their income in other currencies, have not much savings and no health insurance as well claim to live in another country than they do. Where is your safety net? 

I know you from many posts here, and you are a person who live now, and not tomorrow, and claim you do not worry. Im I right? 

Another thing, the usd is now record high at the moment, how long will that last? We are all vulnerable to what happens back there where we come from. 

9 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The farang land, as you call it, the UK in my case, is a pale, sad shadow of what it once was. After visiting Thailand for the first time in 1960, and retiring to Thailand in 1993 having lived and worked in many countries on 4 continents, I still reckon it is a great place. Friendly people, good food and warm weather. I can easily afford to live anywhere, but this is the place for me.

Add to that normally reliable water and electricity supplies, 24 hour A/E around the corner at your local Community Hospital and actual improvements to roads, railways and airports, not just the empty promises you hear in other Countries.  

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

We all have the tendency to look at our own situation in presence and claim we are safe, even again many expats do have their income in other currencies, have not much savings and no health insurance as well claim to live in another country than they do. Where is your safety net? 

I know you from many posts here, and you are a person who live now, and not tomorrow, and claim you do not worry. Im I right? 

Another thing, the usd is now record high at the moment, how long will that last? We are all vulnerable to what happens back there where we come from. 

Always look on the bright side of life ????doo ????di dum ????doo di dum????⛱️

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

You obviously have no idea what the real issues are here.  

At its last meeting the RBA took its foot of the rate increase peddle.  Lowe has made a decision to sacrifice the AUD in order to TRY and stop the Australian residential property market from collapsing entirely.  This decision is entirely political.  Boomers have the largest voting mandate in Australia.  Boomers will still be able to brag their house is worth a million oz dollars, but the AUD will be trading at 48c USD.

The outcome of this retarded and abhorent decision however, is that the AUD will collapse, it is heading for sub 20 THB if Lowe fails to raise by at least .50 at the November meeting.  Lowe is also pi**ing in the wind because as the AUD collapses he will import additional inflation on goods purchased from abroad.  So CPI figures will rise expontentially.

Lots of uncertainty at the moment but two things are crystal clear:

1. The AUD is toast

2. The Australian residential property market is toast

A lesser issue here is also that the BOT is now stepping in to buy the baht.  I already started another thread on this if you check my post history.

The Aussie economy is a third world type, houses and holes. The houses are now grossly overvalued, and RBA is getting scared to push the rates higher. It is also probably relentlessly lobbied by the government not to rock the boat. But the bitter pill needs to be taken, and much better sooner than later.

The holes are supported by the war in Ukraine, mostly the coal but not so much the gas. However there is a lot of foreign investment there, and lots of profits are shipped overseas.

I'm not a Forex expert in any way (we seem to have at least one here) but the outlook for AUD looks negative to me, especially if the BOT starts raising rates and global recession occurs.

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There is no way I could enjoy the same standard of living in Australia I have here. I don't even recognize Australia now from the country I grew up in.

In 1970, I bought a house in Melbourne. I paid off the mortgage in 18 months, to the chagrin of my bank manager at the time. Now, young people sign up for debt lasting 30 or 40 years, and quiver in trepidation every time there is an interest rate rise of one quarter of one percent.

What does Australia have to offer me? It certainly won't be comparative freedom from regulation, or a GF that is 23 years younger than me. It won't be a legal system that is not heavily biased in favor of women either.

Carping posters lose sight of the fact many expats in Thailand have had the guts to uproot themselves, learn a new language, and adjust to a different culture.

Every time I go back to Australia, I get the same reaction. The men envy me, the women hate me.

Oz have one big advantage which is the health care. The hospitals are better equipped, better staffed, and most importantly free for us.

Having said that I can't let the health care define my life. The sailors who went with Fernando Magellan didn't have any health insurance or expected to have good health care in the Philippines...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Oz have one big advantage which is the health care. The hospitals are better equipped, better staffed, and most importantly free for us.

Having said that I can't let the health care define my life. The sailors who went with Fernando Magellan didn't have any health insurance or expected to have good health care in the Philippines...

Quite true, but the devil is in the detail. Unless one is in the private health insurance system in Australia, the wait times for public health care are months, even years.

I know one guy there who had to wait in considerable pain for 18 months to get a hip replacement done.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Quite true, but the devil is in the detail. Unless one is in the private health insurance system in Australia, the wait times for public health care are months, even years.

I know one guy there who had to wait in considerable pain for 18 months to get a hip replacement done.

Same as U.K. at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Yanhee is better than most Oz ones. Far better service.

Dentists in Thailand are 5x cheaper.

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

The Aussie economy is a third world type, houses and holes. The houses are now grossly overvalued, and RBA is getting scared to push the rates higher. It is also probably relentlessly lobbied by the government not to rock the boat. But the bitter pill needs to be taken, and much better sooner than later.

The holes are supported by the war in Ukraine, mostly the coal but not so much the gas. However there is a lot of foreign investment there, and lots of profits are shipped overseas.

I'm not a Forex expert in any way (we seem to have at least one here) but the outlook for AUD looks negative to me, especially if the BOT starts raising rates and global recession occurs.

Support at 60c us. Iron ore picks up next year it will bounce.

My opinion.

6 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Deluded is a bit strong considering I am stating a consideration rather than a strong opinion. As you know suggesting inflation may have peaked at say 7 or 8 per cent simply means prices will continue to rise at that rate and hopefully subsequently increase at a lesser rate - not that prices have stabilised. Thailand, and many other countries, have not been increasing their rates as much as Australia. There are different methods to achieve overall economic prosperity - hope the RBA know what they are doing.

The RBA sold their souls to politicians long ago.  No need for them to know what they are doing...they are being told what to do.  

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Support at 60c us. Iron ore picks up next year it will bounce.

My opinion.

Not a hope if the RBA does not raise the cash rate above 10% because that is where the US rate will be this time next year.  And, as I have already posted there is not a SINGLE instance in economic history where the cash rate did not have to be raise to at least the rate of inflation for it to cool.

Inflation is already running higher than 10% in both Oz and the US (and much higher but both Governments are lying) so there is no chance inflation will be tamed with lame 3-4% cash rates.  And of course if one single external country enters the Ukraine to join the fight inflation is going to rocket even more.

9 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I don't think it's about need, just compare a 40 something woman with a 20 something woman.  I know "personality" and "having things in common" count, but still... ????‍♂️

True, but also 40 something man can not compare with 20 something man. 

37 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

So many live here on a govt pension ,that goes nowhere in the UK.

Yes I have a few friends living here on the Oz pension, they have borrowed money for cars and the like one in his late sixties has just had a kid.  Going to be hard for them when the AUD is sub 20 baht.

1 minute ago, azaazo9 said:

True, but also 40 something man can not compare with 20 something man. 

Depends. A 40 year old fit, healthy and attractive man is better then an overweight, unhealthy and ugly 20 year old man. 

Also at 40 the guy should be financially better off too.

• Thumbs Up 1