PayPal re-registration now requires Thai national ID card

5 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Paypal has made the choice to only accept Thai ID's for proof of identification.

Could have accepted passport of non thais. Fact is if a paypal account is linked to Thai bank account that bank will have all details and able to see all transactions. So all this is bureacratic BS and the intent is to stop foreigners using paypal in Thailand.. nothing less 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, monkfish said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it's a government regulation, not something dreamed up by PP.

What's a government regulation?
Do foreigners need a Thai ID to open a Thai Bank Account?

A government regulation is a regulation introduced by the government and is what is causing the changes to PayPal Thailand accounts.   

Foreigners do not need Thai ID to open a bank account.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A government regulation is a regulation introduced by the government and is what is causing the changes to PayPal Thailand accounts.   

But you don't know which regulation so I guess that's why you don't really answer the question lol.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, monkfish said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

But you don't know which regulation so I guess that's why you don't really answer the question lol.

I do know which regulation, it's the regulation that requires PayPal Thailand account holders to register via the NDID system.   If you need forensic details of it, research it yourself.   If you think that I'm wrong, just say so.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I do know which regulation, it's the regulation that requires PayPal Thailand account holders to register via the NDID system.   If you need forensic details of it, research it yourself.   If you think that I'm wrong, just say so.

But Paypal are not required by regulation to use the NDID system for ID all they are required to do is verify identity same as a Bank but PayPal has made the choice to use NDID for Identity verification! Note they say we are using NOT we have to use.

From Paypal website.

7) Why does PayPal need me to enroll in NDID?

Financial services providers like PayPal are obliged under Thai law to verify the identity of their customers, which helps us keep PayPal safe for everyone using it.

We are using the National Digital ID (NDID) platform to help us verify the identity of customers seeking to use PayPal Thailand personal accounts (including existing account holders whose accounts will be transferred to PayPal Thailand). As Thailand’s digital identity verification service, NDID will allow us to do so in a standardized, reliable, fast and safe manner. This requirement applies regardless of whether you have linked a Thai bank account to your PayPal account or not.

https://www.paypal.com/th/webapps/mpp/thailand-relaunch-faq?locale.x=en_TH&utm_source=epsilon&utm_campaign=A_OW_EM_AH_HR_NI_NI_202208_182268_Email_for_Opted_in_PPTHConLaunch_Individual_Merchant_TH_en_TH&utm_medium=email

Edited by monkfish
  • Like 2

Paypal Thailand was forced by the Thai govt. to come onshore. As soon as they came onshore they had to abide by the rules set by the Thai govt. In this case I think it might be the Electronic Transactions Act or something similar (something to do with e-commerce regulations).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Paypal Thailand was forced by the Thai govt. to come onshore. As soon as they came onshore they had to abide by the rules set by the Thai govt. In this case I think it might be the Electronic Transactions Act or something similar (something to do with e-commerce regulations).

I believe they are under the same laws as every Bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Paypal has made the choice to only accept Thai ID's for proof of identification.

And they are doing this to mess with people or due to the laws and regulations of Thailand? Why aren't they adopting the same policies everywhere if they are so hell-bent on alienating potential customers?

Can you really expect PayPal to open offices all over Thailand for ID verification purposes (rather than relying on doing it electronically with a system that Thailand has only made available for Thai people)? How many hoops can they be expected to jump through to service a comparatively small number of expats in Thailand?

In your view, is PayPal just arbitrarily messing with people or are there perhaps reasons beyond their control?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, monkfish said:

A Bank is a company providing financial services.

The usual definition of a bank is a financial institution that accepts deposits and makes loans. I'm not sure Paypal fits this definition. I think it is a money transfer service since I don't think it makes loans. I'm not sure if it accepts deposits in the legal meaning of the term.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Myran said:

Can you really expect PayPal to open offices all over Thailand for ID verification purposes (rather than relying on doing it electronically with a system that Thailand has only made available for Thai people)? How many hoops can they be expected to jump through to service a comparatively small number of expats in Thailand?

I think this is a major part of the issue. I don't think Paypal has the infrastructure to do the kind of KYC and perhaps some record keeping that the Thai government is asking for. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Myran said:

And they are doing this to mess with people or due to the laws and regulations of Thailand? Why aren't they adopting the same policies everywhere if they are so hell-bent on alienating potential customers?

In your view, is PayPal just arbitrarily messing with people or are there perhaps reasons beyond their control?

They should find a better solution like a copy of the Passport and utility bill or what ever if they want I will get certified by my Embassy if they like.
But I don't think the solution is to close down my account after 10+ years without a single problem.
Best solution would be just leave my account in Singapore.

does Paypal require to prove your residence address by showing them an electricity bill or bank account statement? I don't remember because I've registered many years ago.

Maybe a solution could be registering a new account in Paypal Singapore using a random address from Google Maps and then attaching your Thai credit card.

I've used my home country credit card for several years in Paypal Thailand without any questions, until it expired, so they definitely do not check the card issuing country when you attach a card to Paypal account.

• Haha 1

They should find a better solution like a copy of the Passport and utility bill or what ever if they want I will get certified by my Embassy if they like.
But I don't think the solution is to close down my account after 10+ years without a single problem.
Best solution would be just leave my account in Singapore.

Easier said than done, and we don't know what level of KYC the Thai authorites now demand. And if leaving the accounts in Singapore and still letting them be connected to Thai bank accounts was an option, you can bet your ass they would've done it.

PayPal wants as many customers as possible; that's how they make money. They have zero reason to arbitrarily cut people off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I registered using my Pink ID Card number and went thru without any trouble, easy peasy

You can enter any 13-digit number as your Thai ID number, but the problem will come later when you have to verify that number at the bank before 30 November 2022.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Myran said:

Easier said than done, and we don't know what level of KYC the Thai authorites now demand. And if leaving the accounts in Singapore and still letting them be connected to Thai bank accounts was an option, you can bet your ass they would've done it.

PayPal wants as many customers as possible; that's how they make money. They have zero reason to arbitrarily cut people off.

Why not? Accounts are not literally connected they just transfer funds to your account same as Wise or Payoneer.

Edited by monkfish

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I registered using my Pink ID Card number and went thru without any trouble, easy peasy

It will probably work with any 13 digit number until they check it.
You can test if it works by trying register for NDID through your Bank for Kbank you can even do it through your Mobile App. But if does work that would be perfect!

Edited by monkfish

Why not? Accounts are not literally connected they just transfer funds to your account same as Wise or Payoneer.

Alright, I give up. PayPal is a big meanie and are barring you and other expats in Thailand from their service out of spite, laziness, incompetence, and malice. They could easily make their services available to us, but would rather lose that income for the reasons above. It's probably some sort of conspiracy as well.

1 hour ago, Myran said:

Alright, I give up. PayPal is a big meanie and are barring you and other expats in Thailand from their service out of spite, laziness, incompetence, and malice. They could easily make their services available to us, but would rather lose that income for the reasons above. It's probably some sort of conspiracy as well.

Logically they could as Thai credit card companies and other financial providers are able to do so but PP has chosen not to. Imagine the furore, if they tried to pull the same stunt in the US and closed the accounts of green card and work permit holders.  They would be accused of racism and shamed into finding a work around without any doubt whatsoever.  But discriminatory racist business practices are OK for PP in third world countries. 

• Like 2

Why some are blaming Thai government?

Last time it was Paypal's lawyer overly broad interpretation of the law that's lead to their mess in requiring business registration to receive payments that they had to backtrack out of

And now? you'd give them the benefit of the doubt by blaming it on Thai Government requirements again?