PayPal re-registration now requires Thai national ID card

1 hour ago, rabas said:

NDID is new. You can call the Paypal regional office in the Philippines, who is overseeing this. They will tell you all of the new requirements are coming from the Thai authorities, including the NDID.

I have talked to some Paypal reps who were near tears because of what the Thai authorities were doing.

I don't buy any of that, they're just incompetent. DeeMoney is currently relaunching as "DeeMoney Neo" and - surprise-surprise! - while they do require foreigners to provide an additional Thai ID document, they don't require foreigners to use NDID. And that's just the most recent example, I've been using anything from Line Pay to TrueMoney.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

What color is your Thai ID card?

was indicated on previous post I did say it's a PINK card as everybody or the majority of Expats have, when updating my BBk personal info it was recorded/registered as my ID and that's what I use for the past 8 years when dealing with BBk, don't use PP there

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I don't buy any of that, they're just incompetent. DeeMoney is currently relaunching as "DeeMoney Neo" and - surprise-surprise! - while they do require foreigners to provide an additional Thai ID document, they don't require foreigners to use NDID. And that's just the most recent example, I've been using anything from Line Pay to TrueMoney.

I agree I think it's just the easiest option for Paypal as they won't need to employ someone checking foreigners ID's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

what about paying with credit card? you could just make a new card and keep a minimal amount required to pay for your stuff.

I don't have a credit card - but that was an option - crypto / PP / CC

@NativeBob Yup, I pay for domains by the year, hosting in 3 year packages, the servers are month to month because maybe I need a bit of flexibility, and its only a couple of hundred baht - the monthly charges are the ones that I am concerned with, and yeah, correct, I always pay with my debit card, paypal just process the payment to the company, this is what has messed me up. I have prepaid for a couple of months, but really I want to get the wife to pay the bills.

13 minutes ago, recom273 said:

i meant a debit card.

find another hosting provider then, if your current one does not accept plain cards but Paypal only.

55 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

was indicated on previous post I did say it's a PINK card as everybody or the majority of Expats have, when updating my BBk personal info it was recorded/registered as my ID and that's what I use for the past 8 years when dealing with BBk, don't use PP there

Sorry, I see that now. So you didn't use the pink card to get a Thai NDID.

I too have a pink card and use it everywhere I can, it has saved the day a few times.  Otherwise, I like to goof on Thai saying that my id is better than theirs because it's pink.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

@NativeBob Yup, I pay for domains by the year, hosting in 3 year packages, the servers are month to month because maybe I need a bit of flexibility, and its only a couple of hundred baht - the monthly charges are the ones that I am concerned with, and yeah, correct, I always pay with my debit card, paypal just process the payment to the company, this is what has messed me up. I have prepaid for a couple of months, but really I want to get the wife to pay the bills.

Ah, been there ) I used my sweetheart's credit card (last life) to pay all those bills - very convenient - just attach card to PayPal and enjoy. However, once we had an argument about "farang's infidelity in Thailand" so next day she called to Bank and reported her card "stolen". So PayPal revoked money (about 40K THB) from about a dozen of entities incl. big one like Amazon, Skype, GoDaddy and locked my account. I had "fun" for about a week. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fdsa said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Tried that, it doesn't work.

I've entered all zeros and it got accepted

If you say so but it conflicts with the response that I received.  What's the point anyway, you don't think that the "zeros" registration will sail through at the next step, do you?

3 hours ago, monkfish said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The Thailand office will tell you the same also but some  Thaivisa posters just want to bash PayPal, irrationally, for something that's out of PP's hands, for some reason.

If it's so then Paypal should offer an explanation and not just say they are closing our accounts End Off

"...just say they are closing our accounts End Off".

That's not what is happening, anyone who bothers to call the Thailand office will be told why it is happening, it's no big secret.  I called yesterday, the rep told me the reason, then I closed my account.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Sorry, I see that now. So you didn't use the pink card to get a Thai NDID.

I too have a pink card and use it everywhere I can, it has saved the day a few times.  Otherwise, I like to goof on Thai saying that my id is better than theirs because it's pink.

honestly never thought about NDID as don't see need for it, the pink card it's fine for what I need, did you apply for one, where did you do that and what advantages does one gets with NDID, understand it's digital or whatever digital is I don't have a clue

Hello Paypal Singapore my recommendation is to pull out of your deal with Thailand if you feel it breaks your ethical standards. Threatening to pull out will become big News in Thailand and get you a lots of FREE publicity. Because Thailand would loose face they will scramble to find a solution that works very quickly very sorry that's the way things work here so better get used to it if you want to biz here. Just an idea if you read this and don't support discrimination against foreigners which I am very sure is the case.

Edited by monkfish
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...just say they are closing our accounts End Off".

That's not what is happening, anyone who bothers to call the Thailand office will be told why it is happening, it's no big secret.  I called yesterday, the rep told me the reason, then I closed my account.

WHY on Earth would you close your account that make no sense just leave it !
Better to make them forcefully close your account then they will have to explain to shareholders why they forcefully closed thousands of accounts in Thailand  for nor reason. Of course remove all cash goes without saying.

I won't be closing my account but I will remove all funds before the 30th November and leave that pleasure to them.

People please don't close your accounts that's Paypal wants just take out all your funds!

This is going to look pretty bad for Paypal especially Paypal Singapore if it makes international news so please lobby as many international news agencies about it as possible.

Edited by monkfish
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, monkfish said:

WHY on Earth would you close your account that make no sense just leave it !

Better to make them forcefully close your account then they will have to explain to shareholders why they forcefully closed thousands of accounts in Thailand  for nor reason.

No point in having an account that is useless for online purchases in a month or so that will be closed anyway, that's why.   

The accounts will not be closed "forcefully", they'll just be closed or deactivated as PP has been warning existing account holders for a long time.  

Non-Thais are not suddenly going to be allowed to register with passports in the next six weeks, they've had plenty of time to facilitate that if it was going to happen.

PayPal will not "have to explain" anything to shareholders about why the Thai authorities introduced this regulation.  I doubt that any of them will care about a handful of indignant affected expats in Thailand whose contributions to PP's revenues will likely be 5/8 of 'uck all.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, monkfish said:

This is going to look pretty bad for Paypal especially Paypal Singapore if it makes international news so please lobby as many international news agencies about it as possible.

Which international news agencies have you lobbied?  Can you give us a sample of your lobbying letters that you sent?!

My PayPal account, which I use only two or three times a year for minor purchases, is based on my UK Amex card, so I don't foresee any problems for me personally. I have no idea how others use it, but surely there are alternatives for purchasing items and moving money in/out of Thailand? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My PayPal account, which I use only two or three times a year for minor purchases, is based on my UK Amex card, so I don't foresee any problems for me personally. I have no idea how others use it, but surely there are alternatives for purchasing items and moving money in/out of Thailand? 

I buy a lot stuff from the US. There are quite a few that only accept PayPal, both on Ebay and stand alone welbsite, although I think the number is declining as PayPal's market share and current relevance of its business model declines.

• Like 1

paypal is well past its sell by date. i chucked it the last time they threatened changes and it has not made a bit of difference to my life.

They must be doing well to be able to turn their backs on people who have been using them for nearly 20 years.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 7:12 AM, monkfish said:

Which regulation exactly?
PayPal will operating under laws for banks and banks accept Foreign Passport ID's but PayPal will only accept Thai ID's.

Adios PayPal. My worry here is that the banks will start the same requirements for Thai ID only to maintain existing accounts. Could happen. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You're right, there are alternatives. 

Life will carry on here without PayPal Thailand for 99.99% of (ex-)PayPal users!

36 minutes ago, n00dle said:

paypal is well past its sell by date. i chucked it the last time they threatened changes and it has not made a bit of difference to my life.

They must be doing well to be able to turn their backs on people who have been using them for nearly 20 years.

"They must be doing well to be able to turn their backs on people who have been using them for nearly 20 years".

Either that, or the people you refer to made no significant contribution to the success of PP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"They must be doing well to be able to turn their backs on people who have been using them for nearly 20 years".

Either that, or the people you refer to made no significant contribution to the success of PP.

what does that even mean?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, n00dle said:
6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

what does that even mean?

I'm suggesting that the people you refer to (those whose accounts are going to be closed) made no significant contribution to the commercial success of PP.   That's what I 'even' mean.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm suggesting that the people you refer to (those whose accounts are going to be closed) made no significant contribution to the commercial success of PP.   That's what I 'even' mean.

excellent explanation. did you copy and paste or type it fresh?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, n00dle said:
3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

excellent explanation. did you copy and paste or type it fresh?

Bit of both, I amended the original post to make it easier for you to grasp.

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're right, there are alternatives. 

Life will carry on here without PayPal Thailand for 99.99% of (ex-)PayPal users!

You are right there are alternatives but for anyone doing online biz Digital and Namods Paypal is still the most accepted and trusted form of payment in the WoRLD. And so quiet important to some people. MAYBE not you though I suspect?

Edited by monkfish

This week I have had confirmation that to conform to Thai law, PayPal can only accept Thai citizens and in what will be known as "PayPal Thailand" and my account of ten years will cease to exist from the end of November. The only transaction that will work is withdrawing any cash surplus actually in the PayPal account and if not done by 15 December, I will lose it.

I have had my PayPal account linked to my bank for 4 years and the system allows to offer a payment through PayPal itself or default the payment to my debit card. In some cases, I have had some money in PayPal but wasn't enough to cover the payment but no problem, as they used all that was available from that and the remainder from my bank. 

I am disappointed about my account being lost but this is Thailand's doing, not PayPal.

• Like 1