Getting a Drivers License for car and motorbike in Chiang Mai

I was in Thailand between 2011-2016 on retirement visa.  My Thai wife and I moved to the U.S. for six years, coming back a few weeks ago.  I have applied for a marriage visa and will get a 90 stamp at the end of this month.

Can I renew my now expired Thai licenses, or do I need to start over?

Can I apply after I get the 90 stamp? I am not sure this is temporary marriage visa or just an extension of stay on the exempt tourist visa I got at the airport, which was extended for 60 days already.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Balance said:

Can I apply after I get the 90 stamp? I am not sure this is temporary marriage visa or just an extension of stay on the exempt tourist visa I got at the airport, which was extended for 60 days already.

Separate the two parts of your post.

Seems that you have obtained a non O marriage.

The next step to that is to apply for 12 month extension assuming that is your plan.

If just on a holiday then indicate that. 

Re your licences where are you located

If your license is expired for over 5 years, as mine was, you need to start over again. For me, it meant having to go to a driving school and to pass the written test... what I found problematic was that there was no book to study from though you can take the test as often as you like... I found some of the questions online and some were perplexing as the English was off... 

you can pm me if you want more info on the process and test.

I returned in Pattaya area with my licenses expired for over 12 months and was allowed to renew for 5 years rather than just starting over.  I had to take the written exam and watch videos but did not have to do the physical driving test in a vehicle.  As others mentioned just go to Land Transport and ask what options are available.  If you license have been expired for a much longer period they may want you to start over.

There are some good online exam tests to help you know the correct answer to certain questions.  As the translations and answers can be a bit confusing it is good to practice online to know what they deem the correct answer.