taking a desktop on a flight to Bangkok

jumbo

Put it in a hard shell suitcase. Well wrapped, don't use original packaging, it wastes space. Check it in as usual. No need to declare it as dangerous goods. 

If they see it on an X ray on arrival, they may ask to inspect it at the other end.

And so, you let them! 

And then you and your desktop happily go on to your final destination.

If it's new-ish, and you are importing it, bring the proof of purchase. 

Go online and find if there's any duty to pay for a used machine. If it's not used, start using it. 

Make sure it looks used, or be prepared to pay duty. 

I have done it and always carry two - one is a laptop and the other is a NUC. I already have monitors in all three properties in the USA and Thailand that I own. 

If possible sell the desktop and buy a NUC. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I would take the parts such as RAM and PCI cards out, or at least take off the CPU heatsink if it is heavy.

I agree with the CPU heatsink, if it is a big heatsink.

RAM and PCI cards are not heavy.

Maybe a big graphic card is heavy, but I would still keep it where it is.

I would consider putting bubble wrap inside the computer to stabilize the cards a little.

And it is probably a good idea after arrival to make sure all the contacts from the cards and connectors are ok.

Don't touch the CPU, that won't move anywhere.

You can't put a laptop in your suitcase.  They'll make you take it out once it's X-ray'd. 

You'll have to carry it on. 

I've had a laptop bag and a carry-on at the same time on Eva Air flying international no problem.

You'll need to contact your airline for particulars on carry on allowance.

Worrying too much. I've transported desktop PCs multiple times between UK and Thailand and UK and China. Just put into the cardboard box the tower case originally came in and check it in as normal. Never been stopped or questioned.

Once too 25 PC motherboards to China in a cardboard box, along with loads of cables, PSUs etc in a big box. 

Over the years flown into BKK (mostly with Ermirates) with tools, power drill etc, trolley jack, couple of bikes, couple of HiFi systems, part of a car exhaust system etc etc.  Been asked a couple of times 'what's in the box?'. Answered honestly and no further checks.   Amazingly never had anything damaged in transit either. Only had trouble in India (they confiscated two Melton Mowbray pork pies) and Nigeria (confiscated a souvenir mug they said was a potential weapon!).   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Only had trouble in India (they confiscated two Melton Mowbray pork pies) and Nigeria (confiscated a souvenir mug they said was a potential weapon!).   

You probably looked like a mugger!

14 hours ago, Onerak said:

I have done it and always carry two - one is a laptop and the other is a NUC. I already have monitors in all three properties in the USA and Thailand that I own. 

If possible sell the desktop and buy a NUC. 

Curious on how you did it. Did you buy a special bag?? 

As someone who's taken all sorts of things to Thailand for a house renovation, including a 5 ring gas hob............just pack it well.  Its rare that your bags will be checked (I've never been) but be aware that if they are, you will almost certainly have to pay tax on a PC.  I wouldn't take the monitor - asking for trouble, they can be obtained very cheaply when you arrive.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 10/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, MrJ2U said:

You can't put a laptop in your suitcase.  They'll make you take it out once it's X-ray'd. 

You'll have to carry it on. 

I've had a laptop bag and a carry-on at the same time on Eva Air flying international no problem.

You'll need to contact your airline for particulars on carry on allowance.

The OP is asking about a desktop not a laptop.  Laptops have batteries, that's why they are subject to checks.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2022 at 6:27 PM, jumbo said:

It is used... just afraid for the throwing around with the luggage at bagage handling

Most times the 'throwing' isn't that bad.

In an event puts lot of packing around it, jam the packing around it. 

I did it once, emergency situation to get from Tokyo to my office in Singapore with my desktop PC. Packed it in a hard shell s'case, a lot of packing. Arrived undamaged and no questions asked, on Cathay Pacific. 

Edited by scorecard