Do you fall in love with women?

Sparktrader

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on what we call success.

Is success living the life we dreamed of after we retire, or is it looking back on a life of sacrifice that benefited others at our own expense?

Millions work hard, but never benefit.

Success is when you feel happy with where you are at life right now and see future as something positive.

I guess I have been lucky to be able to feel lucky even I had my turns on the rollercoaster as well with ups and downs.

28 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Success is when you feel happy with where you are at life right now and see future as something positive.

I guess I have been lucky to be able to feel lucky even I had my turns on the rollercoaster as well with ups and downs.

I guess everybody has had their ups & downs.

My down was being placed on a 24-hour suicide watch in a psychiatric hospital. Hospital protocol.

I'll just say I'm still here 40 years later.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I was age 50 and didn't know what I wanted. I was on a domestic Thai flight when a lot of that changed. Walking down the airplane stairs and across the tarmac (no jetway back then) I started talking with a Thai gentleman. 

I had not spoken with him on the plane but he had overheard my conversation with my Thai/Swiss seatmates. Turns out he was the Founder of one the largest NGO's in Thailand under Royal Patronage and he asked me if I would help him with some of his students.

And from that point on, I had something worthwhile to do in my eventual move to Thailand. And still do.

Good point, often we do not have a clue what we really want in life, and my experience life changes when you least expect it for worse or better often depending on the choices and the calculated risk you are willing to take. To much risk as well to little risk doesn't work out well, except you are happy to manage a secured A4 life just to be safe. For many that is enough to maintain happiness, for others not. 

"Falling In Love."  What's that really mean?  What it really is is a biological imperative wired into the human hormonal system that attempts to guarantee human propagation.  In this current era of Caligula-like morality, it probably doesn't matter.  The chances of you impregnating your robotic sex-doll is about zero.  I'll leave it at that.

Have I fallen in love with women?  Yep.  Back when I was young, dumb, and full of ????...excess sexual energy.

However, the years have tempered that imperative.  Number one: I shoot blanks.
Two - I understand what those feeling are.  My feelings that attract me to a woman nowaday are much more then coursing testosterone.  It's a decision to weigh the pros and cons of the relationship.  If I just want sex - well, I live in Thailand.  I know where to find it.  So it's not about sex.

At best I can say that I care for certain women.  That's about as far as it goes now.  
"Falling in love?"  Not a chance.

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Good point, often we do not have a clue what we really want in life, and my experience life changes when you least expect it for worse or better often depending on the choices and the calculated risk you are willing to take. To much risk as well to little risk doesn't work out well, except you are happy to manage a secured A4 life just to be safe. For many that is enough to maintain happiness, for others not. 

Life changes every 5 years. Wants, needs, desires. Dont become attached to old thoughts. Adapt, learn and enjoy. Sooner or later you are dead so enjoy the ride.

On 10/21/2022 at 2:02 PM, BritManToo said:

Can't say I ever viewed nursing as a viable way to make money.

So not bad luck but poor judgement IMHO.

It's not and never was. Nurses are exploited because they are a female dominated occupation and are reluctant to go on strike.

I didn't do it to make money.

I did it because I was looking to do good works and help humanity- basically stupid, and someone should have given me a good slapping before I started the course.

It was bad luck because I didn't have anyone to slap me till I wised up.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

I did good works most of my working life, but don't regard my life as a success, but had I chosen a different path perhaps I would. it was just a toss of the coin as to which path i took, so just luck, good or bad, like I said.

Same as with my marriage- just bad luck that I met her, instead of a better woman. 10 minutes later and I might never have seen her.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I did good works most of my working life, but don't regard my life as a success, but had I chosen a different path perhaps I would. it was just a toss of the coin as to which path i took, so just luck, good or bad, like I said.

Same as with my marriage- just bad luck that I met her, instead of a better woman. 10 minutes later and I might never have seen her.

Luck or not it is all past.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I was age 50 and didn't know what I wanted. I was on a domestic Thai flight when a lot of that changed. Walking down the airplane stairs and across the tarmac (no jetway back then) I started talking with a Thai gentleman. 

I had not spoken with him on the plane but he had overheard my conversation with my Thai/Swiss seatmates. Turns out he was the Founder of one the largest NGO's in Thailand under Royal Patronage and he asked me if I would help him with some of his students.

And from that point on, I had something worthwhile to do in my eventual move to Thailand. And still do.

Agree 100%- just happenstance/ luck.

I started off in a dead end job and happened to work with a guy that had been in the military, so joined up and saw a lot of the world at tax payer's expense.

In the military went skiing and met a guy had worked in Antarctica, so applied and went there- absolutely the best and most wonderful year of my entire life.

Sooo, just luck that I ended up in Antarctica. Not for the guy been in the military I might have married the farmer's daughter I was going out with and spent my entire life milking cows.

Coin toss that i ended up where I am now.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree 100%- just happenstance/ luck.

I started off in a dead end job and happened to work with a guy that had been in the military, so joined up and saw a lot of the world at tax payer's expense.

In the military went skiing and met a guy had worked in Antarctica, so applied and went there- absolutely the best and most wonderful year of my entire life.

Sooo, just luck that I ended up in Antarctica. Not for the guy been in the military I might have married the farmer's daughter I was going out with and spent my entire life milking cows.

Coin toss that i ended up where I am now.

So your life wasnt that bad

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Luck or not it is all past.

You are correct, but I'm conflicted. On the one hand I know it's in the past, but on the other hand I wish I was still living in the past, which was waaaaay more exciting than my present.

The problem with having an exciting life is that when it's over, it's hard to accept. Had the most exciting thing in my life being a couple of weeks at Blackpool every year I might be happy with where I am now.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

You are correct, but I'm conflicted. On the one hand I know it's in the past, but on the other hand I wish I was still living in the past, which was waaaaay more exciting than my present.

The problem with having an exciting life is that when it's over, it's hard to accept. Had the most exciting thing in my life being a couple of weeks at Blackpool every year I might be happy with where I am now.

So it's attitude. How old are you? Can you not visit Thailand once a year?

• Like 1