Russian President Vladimir Putin not yet confirmed to join APEC 2022 in Thailand, Thai Foreign Affairs Minister says

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Don said that Putin would like to attend the meeting but there are a lot of things that he has to consider

Last time Putin left Russia was a trip to Iran with his buddies there, managed to get himself stocked up with drones and missiles. Thailand? A couple of subs with no engines, nah

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When did any world leader set foot in Thailand? Why would they?

The unelected PM educated at a Military Academy meeting a world leader?? I would love to be a fly on the wall there. ????

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The unelected PM educated at a Military Academy meeting a world leader?? I would love to be a fly on the wall there. ????

Strictly speaking, he was elected when he eventually got around to holding an election. After re-writing the constitution to ensure he couldn't lose. But there is democracy, and there is democracy in the Thai (and Russian) sense, and never the twain shall meet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Don said that Putin would like to attend the meeting but there are a lot of things that he has to consider, including the complicated procedures of traveling outside the country.

At least if this toxic little man stays in his own Country, there is less risk to him from a " Day of the Jackal " attack, or an Excocet Missile hitting him in the rear end as he as sits on the throne.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

Hopefully in Saddam fashion .

Did they ever find the WMD 's?????

Personally I always had a feeling Saddam was actually Putin's puppet. However hanging would be too good for him, I'd prefer Putin met his end in Gaddafi fashion. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As I said, he later held an election and was elected. Same as the recent referendum by Russia in which people 'democratically' agreed that the part of eastern Ukraine that they invaded some time ago should continue to be part of Russia.

You can dress it up anyway you want, he is unelected and going by reports, is not wanted by the vast majority of Thai people.

You should leave Russia out of it, they are no example to follow.

Edited by possum1931

4 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

Is he part of the "high quality" group of people that the government hopes to attract to Thailand? 

Provided he brings his money.

Any big spender is "high quality" as far as Thailand is concerned. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

including the complicated procedures of traveling outside the country.

So it's too complicated for a dictating president to take a flight, nah scared he'll get shot out the sky more likely and/or he can't get a re-entry stamp to return to Russia ????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

You can dress it up anyway you want, he is unelected and going by reports, is not wanted by the vast majority of Thai people.

You should leave Russia out of it, they are no example to follow.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm comparing the two and saying they are two peas from the same pod. As for the PM's popularity, it is probably at the same level as the UK's PM at best. Somehow, though, being almost universally disliked doesn't prevent you becoming PM. It's a strange world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Putin is getting very little help from Xi, Putin is sourcing weapons from Iran and North Korea. China is not sending any, for fear of secondary sanctions.

Xi is smarter than Putin, a weakened Russia dependent on China for export income would suit his book admirably.

There is also the Amur River border, the Chinese have taken note of the Russian military's abysmal performance in Ukraine. The riches of Siberia are a juicy prospect.

According to some Xi supporters here on Aseannow, China is not interested in territorial expansion.  I can see they are not fooling you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

According to some Xi supporters here on Aseannow, China is not interested in territorial expansion.  I can see they are not fooling you.

Russia has done very poorly in exploiting the wealth of resources in Siberia, I have no doubt the Chinese think they could be more effective. They may be right.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Russia has done very poorly in exploiting the wealth of resources in Siberia, I have no doubt the Chinese think they could be more effective. They may be right.

Exactly.  If the Russians had spent more of their money and energy in the east they could be a wealthy country.  Putin foolishly concentrated on "civilized" Russia.  The Chinese are more of a threat than Ukraine or even NATO.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Exactly.  If the Russians had spent more of their money and energy in the east they could be a wealthy country.  Putin foolishly concentrated on "civilized" Russia.  The Chinese are more of a threat than Ukraine or even NATO.

One of the best books I have read is "Journey into Russia" by Sir Laurens van der Post. In it, he says the Russian psyche has been profoundly influenced by the great invasions from the East of the Tartars and Mongols, which kept it a society on the run.

He also has a quote which is very appropriate for Putin and the Russians who support him:

Human beings are perhaps never more frightening than when they are convinced beyond doubt that they are right.”