Wise money transfer now not showing as international transfer.

Hi all, for the last 9 months or so I have been sending lump sums of money to cover the 65k baht per month for my visa non O retirement so I qualify for the monthly income method, all has been fine and my transactions have been showing up as a international bank transfer, but September and October transfers are just showing up as transfer from another bank what ever way I transfer the money it does not show up as international any more, my bank in Thailand is Bangkok bank, any ideas? Have wise changed they way they do things now, I’m putting in the drop down box that the transfer is for’ long term stay in Thailand’

@scubascuba3 when I have transferred before and done the transfer as ‘ long term stay in Thailand’ the money would normally not arrive untill the next day, but these last two have transferred into my Bangkok bank account within 5 minutes, normally if I wanted money quickly I would tick any of the other reasons in the drop down box because it arrives in minutes whereas the long term stay one generally takes 24 hours

3 minutes ago, essex boys said:

@scubascuba3 when I have transferred before and done the transfer as ‘ long term stay in Thailand’ the money would normally not arrive untill the next day, but these last two have transferred into my Bangkok bank account within 5 minutes, normally if I wanted money quickly I would tick any of the other reasons in the drop down box because it arrives in minutes whereas the long term stay one generally takes 24 hours

Yes "International" transfers settle around 2pm, so something's gone wrong. You can try "buying a property" reason that also works or contact Wise for them to tag your account to be processed as International. No other reports so far

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, essex boys said:

I reckon their system is broken. again. I specifically chose a reason that was NOT 'long term stay' but in both cases the funds went received until 2pm next business day AND they show as International Funds Transfer. 

no biggie for me but obviously a massive issue if you're doing the income method.

They have been having issues for a couple of months. I have used the "long term stay" with a tagged account in Bangkok Bank for a couple of years and it always worked (came in as "International" FFT). But in August I wanted to change the transfer to another of my BBK accounts. Set up a new Recipient with the new account info. I e-mailed them and asked them to tag the new account. Then did a bunch of test transfers (selecting "long term stay") and they ALL came in as a DOMESTIC transfer through Kasikorn Bank. No good.

One option that seems to always work is to use the Bangkok Bank New York office and make your transfer a US domestic ABA transfer from Wise to BBK NY. The NY branch forwards the money to your Thai BBK account automatically. It always comes in as FFT. Takes a couple of days and I am not sure what the fee difference is but it works.

9 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Then did a bunch of test transfers (selecting "long term stay") and they ALL came in as a DOMESTIC transfer through Kasikorn Bank. No good.

"Long term stay" never worked with Kasikorn, it's a Bangkok Bank thing. With Kasikorn they should recognise the Wise code used and so know it's International 

An interesting update, I usually use my iPad to do the transfer from wise, but it got damaged a while back and it is slightly bowed and on occasions the keypad can stick…I just tried transferring a smallish sum of money but using the wise app on my android phone, the transfer went ok and I got a message saying they had received my money and would pay out tomorrow by 2.13pm….I won’t know until tomorrow if it arrives with the FTT code or not but I will update tomorrow when I know. I sent the money and the reason selected was for ‘ long term stay in Thailand’ it could be my iPad playing up or it could be an Apple software problem…anyway I will report back here tomorrow 

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

"Long term stay" never worked with Kasikorn, it's a Bangkok Bank thing. With Kasikorn they should recognise the Wise code used and so know it's International 

I know that. I should have been clearer. The transfer was to my BBK account. Wise sent the money to Kasikorn (one of their three partner banks). Then it came to my BBK account as a domestic Thai transfer. The  "long term stay" option was supposed to signal Wise to only transfer through BBK. That does not seem to working now.

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

FYI, Wise to Kbank transfers do a local transfer to recipients account,one must get a credit advice from their international division for immigration purposes

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, norbra said:

FYI, Wise to Kbank transfers do a local transfer to recipients account,one must get a credit advice from their international division for immigration purposes

I read previously that Kasikorn recognise the transfers from Wise and can issue the letter showing them?

53 minutes ago, lexilis said:

One option that seems to always work is to use the Bangkok Bank New York office and make your transfer a US domestic ABA transfer from Wise to BBK NY. The NY branch forwards the money to your Thai BBK account automatically. It always comes in as FFT. Takes a couple of days and I am not sure what the fee difference is but it works.

That's interesting.  Wise must be using International Format for that ACH transfer - most US banks don't and such transfers are no longer accepted for forwarding to Thailand.  Although you will not get the same exchange rate (you are sending USD) and there will be a BBL NY fee charged it might remove the risks for some.  But if Wise is not using international ACH format and just luck that funds were transferred on by NY might not be so risk free.  You are doing this and these are recent transfers?

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I read previously that Kasikorn recognise the transfers from Wise and can issue the letter showing them?

I must contact call centre they email credit advice same day.

From what I read " long stay in Thailand" is. A dud. Bbk customers must have their recipient accounts tagged for direct transfers,no partners to be used

Edited by norbra

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That's interesting.  Wise must be using International Format for that ACH transfer - most US banks don't and such transfers are no longer accepted for forwarding to Thailand.  Although you will not get the same exchange rate (you are sending USD) and there will be a BBL NY fee charged it might remove the risks for some.  But if Wise is not using international ACH format and just luck that funds were transferred on by NY might not be so risk free.  You are doing this and these are recent transfers?

Yes it works. I tried a couple of times a year or so ago and then again twice in the past month. Use the BBK NY ABA code (026008691) and it will automatically get forwarded to your BBK Thai account as FFT. Obviously this will only work if you are transferring from the US. 

1 hour ago, norbra said:

I must contact call centre they email credit advice same day.

From what I read " long stay in Thailand" is. A dud. Bbk customers must have their recipient accounts tagged for direct transfers,no partners to be used

"long term stay" for Bangkok Bank has worked for a long time as you can see from the posts above. It doesn't appear to be a widespread problem so I'd say possible user error

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexilis said:

They have been having issues for a couple of months. I have used the "long term stay" with a tagged account in Bangkok Bank for a couple of years and it always worked (came in as "International" FFT). But in August I wanted to change the transfer to another of my BBK accounts. Set up a new Recipient with the new account info. I e-mailed them and asked them to tag the new account. Then did a bunch of test transfers (selecting "long term stay") and they ALL came in as a DOMESTIC transfer through Kasikorn Bank. No good.

I have had no issues, as in zero, since I can remember.

Transfer today to Kasikorn, marked "long term stay" arrived in 9 seconds. The bank statement shows 'trade finance' with the sender being:-

xxx-x-x8899-x
WISE PAYMENTS LIMI++