Heavy Downpours Trigger Landslides in Phuket

snoop1130

1666252360_176036-tnamcot-768x299.jpg

PHUKET, Oct 20 (TNA) – Flooding ended at the center of Phuket but many areas of this tourist island province suffered landslides due to heavy rain.

Yesterday’s flooding disappeared from many areas of Phuket and they included its old town zone which is an important business area of the southern province.

Late last night there were landslides on many locations including the Khao Rang mountain in Muang district.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1041660

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-10-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Has it been like this ever before ?

Or is it another sign of weather becoming more extreme ?

Landslides are similar to other periods of heavy rain. This storm was exceptional, however. Is climate change contributing to the severity? I think so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Has it been like this ever before ?

Ever is a very interesting word.    Ever.

YES.    5.4 million years ago I remember, 87.97 million years ago.  Even 38,977 years ago.

Now I will ask, "Will this ever happen again?"   

Well, expect Earth to be around for the next 2 billion years................

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

Landslides are similar to other periods of heavy rain. This storm was exceptional, however. Is climate change contributing to the severity? I think so. 

This has happened before, from what I read, 50 years ago.  The question is will it happen more frequently, then it could be an aspect of climate change.  If it does not happen again for 50 years, then it might not be related to climate change.

3 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Ever is a very interesting word.    Ever.

YES.    5.4 million years ago I remember, 87.97 million years ago.  Even 38,977 years ago.

Now I will ask, "Will this ever happen again?"   

Well, expect Earth to be around for the next 2 billion years................

One thing is Earth, another thing is the human race.

The former can carry on without problems if the second one disappears much,much earlier than that.

2 hours ago, JayBird said:

This has happened before, from what I read, 50 years ago.  The question is will it happen more frequently, then it could be an aspect of climate change.  If it does not happen again for 50 years, then it might not be related to climate change.

CC is a scam. Rainfall stats in Phuket arent even that high.

Poor planning and construction.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I watched one of David Attenborough's programs the other evening, called "Frozen Planet" and this particular one dealt with the huge volumes of ice peeling off from the glaciers and falling into the seas (not to be confused with icebergs melting).

The most astounding part of it was that the world's biggest glaciers have diminished in size quite remarkably, and some whave almost disappeared, and they had set up time-lapse cameras decades ago to record what was going on, and it is there for all to see all to see, and it is frightening. Glaciers that have been there for centuries are now melting and constitute a threat to life on this planet as we know it – – this according to Attenborough and other experts.

Climate change is being blamed and the overarching thing that I took from this program was that we are basically stuffed, basically because the very small things that we are now trying to impose on countries with regards to limiting climate change and emissions etc, won't really help in decades to come – – – so live life to the full, drink good wine, enjoy great food, ogle attractive women and live like there's no tomorrow, because for much of the planet there probably won't be!!!!

Yes trying to scare people into watching it. Dont watch it. South Pole has expanded. They dont tell you that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

CC is a scam. Rainfall stats in Phuket arent even that high.

Poor planning and construction.

Come on, man. Of course it's a real thing. Hurricanes are worse. Droughts are worse the planet is heating up at a ridiculous rate. Turn off Fox News. 

• Like 2

I prefer the term Global warming, since the earth itself is also causing changes in the climate.

Volcanoes, Earth quakes, Forest fires, Floods. These events caused by too much rain, too much sun, 

too much ash and gases released by volcanoes. The media likes the term climate change, so they can hang the causes on

mankind, and not mention anything about the Earth causing a lot of changes. In my opinion of course.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, Stargeezr said:

I prefer the term Global warming, since the earth itself is also causing changes in the climate.

Volcanoes, Earth quakes, Forest fires, Floods. These events caused by too much rain, too much sun, 

too much ash and gases released by volcanoes. The media likes the term climate change, so they can hang the causes on

mankind, and not mention anything about the Earth causing a lot of changes. In my opinion of course.

If memory serves:
They first went with 'Global Warming'.  But because it wasn't getting 'hot' in one person's own town, people said: Oh, it's not getting hot.  It's colder than normal! Hah, no global warming.

Not understanding that global warming meant the average temperature of the planet, not just one person's neighbourhood.

So they switched to 'Climate Change'.  This simply states that the 'climate' (which is not just weather) is changing (not specifying the direction).  As the important matter is that the climate we have become accustomed to is changing.

As to whether or not this is a good thing, that's up to the individual.  People with oceanside property might not like it.  People in highlands who want oceanside property might like it.  Mother nature doesn't care, as she'll be around long after mankind has gone.

But to suggest there is no change going on, would be to refute basic math.  It is now so observable, that basic math skills can see what is going on.

There might be room to debate exactly what factors are causing it, to what extent, and by whom.  But the fact that the climate has changed is heavily backed by data around the world.

• Like 1