Who might succeed Liz Truss as UK prime minister?

Scott

221020154515-conservative-party-leader-s

A new leadership contest will take place within a week, Liz Truss said in her resignation speech outside Downing Street on Thursday.

Graham Brady, the Conservative official responsible for the process, announced the candidates to replace Truss will need at least 100 nominations from Conservative MPs.

If more than one candidate meets that threshold, they will be put to the Conservative members in an online ballot, with the new prime minister to be announced on Friday October 28.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/20/uk/liz-truss-possible-successors-intl-gbr/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

7 minutes ago, partington said:

A "mistake" is knocking over someone's wineglass while reaching for the salt.

A series of deliberate lies, deceits and cover ups involving  sycophantic cronies reliant on you for a job is intentional wrongdoing, and reveals a personality with no moral anchor or principles.

People who want Johnson back, after he was removed because his own party's MPs declared him unfit for office and forced him to leave are, in my opinion, barely sentient.

IMO these days it would be hard to find a politician motivated by morality or principles above staying in the big chair.

I want Boris for the entertainment factor, as I don't think any politician is capable of "fixing" Britain any more, so IMO it doesn't really matter who is in Number 10.

If that makes me "barely sentient" no problem for me.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO these days it would be hard to find a politician motivated by morality or principles above staying in the big chair.

I want Boris for the entertainment factor, as I don't think any politician is capable of "fixing" Britain any more, so IMO it doesn't really matter who is in Number 10.

If that makes me "barely sentient" no problem for me.

True, once the UK went the BREXIT route there really was no saving it. Sunak will be the next PM. 

• Like 2

It’ll be interesting to see what policy platforms the candidates opt for.

Everything Truss came up with, the post Brexit opportunities and tax giveaways has been demonstrated not acceptable to the financial markets.

So what are they going to come up with?

Tory Austerity 2?

Culture wars?

Scapegoating migrants?

WW2 and World Cup 66?

They need something to distract the public, I wonder what it’ll be?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’ll be interesting to see what policy platforms the candidates opt for.

Everything Truss came up with, the post Brexit opportunities and tax giveaways has been demonstrated not acceptable to the financial markets.

So what are they going to come up with?

Tory Austerity 2?

Culture wars?

Scapegoating migrants?

WW2 and World Cup 66?

They need something to distract the public, I wonder what it’ll be?

Maybe they could promise to rejoin the EU?

And increase taxes on the rich .........

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just been listening to LBC. Apparently these are the approximate numbers regarding the three candidates and the number of MPs that have officially backed them so far:

Mordant 22

Boris 54

Sunak 62

It's looking like Boris and Sunak will fight it out, and that would be a bloodbath. 

It'll all be concluded by Friday 28th Oct, so at least it'll be quick. 

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Since the Brexit vote, Labour had the chance to win an election on a "we will rejoin the EU" stand, but didn't.

Since then the Conservatives won an election with more seats than before, so the people must have thought Brexit was a good idea.

Before you accuse me, I didn't want to leave the EU as I had plans to live in France.

The Brexit vote was 6 years back, time to stop harping on about it.

There's nothing we can do to change Brexit.

So where are the promised ‘sunny uplands’?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But Truss voted Remain in the referendum. She was a Remainer

ALL the Tory leaders were remainers (including Cameron, Boris and Teresa)!

In fact the only MP I know for sure who wanted to leave the EU was the Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

We are now having to deal with the financial impact of Brexit , all that borrowed and spent money needs to be paid back and that's why there needs to be either tax rises or cut services .

I generally avoid talking about Brexit as a whole, the good points and the bad points .

Brexit happened, so I am just getting on with it 

The money borrowed was to pay for the damage caused by Truss’ lunatic budget.

I’m not in the least bit surprised you avoid talking about Brexit, romping around in the ‘sunny uplands’ leaves little energy for anything else.

• Like 2

Not to mention the estimated 500 billion pounds p**sed away on trying to control a viral outbreak by ordering healthy people to stay in their houses.

Future generations of British people will be paying that off for decades, assuming they don't all emigrate to somewhere less dysfunctional.

The UK premiership is the poisoned chalice par excellence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The money borrowed was to pay for the damage caused by Truss’ lunatic budget.

I’m not in the least bit surprised you avoid talking about Brexit, romping around in the ‘sunny uplands’ leaves little energy for anything else.

I was nt talking about that money, I did mean the 400 odd Billion that Covid cost .

Anyway, hows the queues at Dover these days ?

Have they been sorted out yet ?

Whose catching the fish in the sea between the UK and France ?

I haven't really been following the latest developments