Old couple on a motorcycle grievously injured after pulling out on car/18 wheel truck

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that they had received video footage of an accident that severely injured two old people on a motorcycle. 

The footage showed the male driving and the female riding pillion.

The man pulled out after having stopped in the far left lane. 

He was nearly struck by a black car that managed to brake.

4800b0f876af1c26fc74b14322b5aa4355c214de97f7480c3d3efa3254d4637d.jpg

But he continued into the path of an 18 wheel truck that sideswiped them before coming to a stop on the other side of the road. 

The male rider was taken to hospital in Nahon Chaisri while the female had a broken leg and was taken to Huay Phlu Hospital.

9pm1.jpg

The accident occurred at the Naraphirom T-junction in Bang Len, Nakhon Pathom, central Thailand. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Motorbikes are very dangerous to ride in Thailand. No sane person should get on a bike in Thailand. A car is a much better alternative.

I can't seem to get the video so I don't know what sort of energy was involved when the motorcyclist decided to place himself in front of a moving 18 wheeler truck.

Consequently I can't make the first presumption that entered my mind........that he likely would have been no better off in a Yaris ( "a car") given the mass/speed of the vehicle that he placed himself in the path thereof?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rhys said:

Very sad... all the best with recovery... not  dressed or wearing any things for safety.

Would maybe have only been a helmet, Kevlar jeans and jacket, I don't think so.

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

You missed the boat or over your head never said he was married! ????

The irony of your post…. T’was you who has clearly missed the boat when the ‘married’ joke went over your head… 

…… the implication that getting married makes you lose your balls… :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What can one say? Was he really in that much of a hurry? 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the prosecution of very reckless drivers. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct? 

This applies even more so, if you are driving a tuk tuk type vehicle or a motorbike. Not to sound too cold, as I feel for this older couple, but Darwin was right. Some people are better equipped for survival than others. It takes some effort here. 

• Like 2

I love the "better get a car" posts.

Why has no told these elderly ????

Danger with motorbikes in Thailand?

Sure there is always a chance to be hit/killed by some hooligan on four or more wheels (mostly).

But I am certain that the vast majority of motorbike accidents are due to complete lack of care by the rider, incompetence, drunk/drugged, unlit bike, no mirrors, break pads vaporized etc etc (the list is endless).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The irony of your post…. T’was you who has clearly missed the boat when the ‘married’ joke went over your head… 

…… the implication that getting married makes you lose your balls… :whistling:

Your assumption is what is wrong!

My remarks had to do with his riding for 45.years even in competition, with all that he is too afraid to ride in Thailand.

To be clear for you who missed it I guess even after all those years of riding the danger after 45 years he is older wiser lost his balls. It wasn't relevant to me being married but guess it was important to you to assumed if married one loses their balls

Edited by thailand49
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 2:10 PM, thailand49 said:

Your assumption is what is wrong!

My remarks had to do with his riding for 45.years even in competition, with all that he is too afraid to ride in Thailand.

To be clear for you who missed it I guess even after all those years of riding the danger after 45 years he is older wiser lost his balls. It wasn't relevant to me being married but guess it was important to you to assumed if married one loses their balls

So you still don’t understand the joke posted but jaybot, even after it’s been explained to you. 

This was defiantly one of those situation whereby it’s better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt !!!!! :whistling:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So you still don’t understand the joke posted but jaybot, even after it’s been explained to you. 

This was defiantly one of those situation whereby it’s better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt !!!!! :whistling:

If the two of you Louie Louie go back and do some research instead of trying to be right,  get the last word in,  assume,  all the time maybe the two of you from the same Origin? 

I couldn't give A fying <deleted> what he said he is the one who responded to my post first.  I got it the first time but I don't care! My response is consistent to what I said to the first poster 

Maybe the two of you should take your own advice <deleted>! ????