Passengers to finally get refunds from high-flying Thai Airways still facing financial turbulence

webfact

image.jpeg

The Chief Financial Officer of Thai Airways, Chai Eamsiri, submitted information to the Central Bankruptcy Court in September

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

It appears that the airline, kept alive by cargo freight income and the protection of the court through the pandemic emergency, has made substantial progress in trimming its previously huge cost base while capturing market share as the country reopened with other international airlines, for now, scrambling after richer pickings while others are not able to compete on routes to Bangkok as before.

However, Bangkok Bank, a key dissenting creditor in a submission to the Central Bankruptcy Court has expressed its doubts about the firm’s high-flying plans to find further credit which includes an expressed intention to relaunch itself on the stock market by 2025.

As part of its revised business plan approved by the Central Bankruptcy Court in Bangkok on Thursday, Thai Airways will finally begin refunding ticket purchases made by customers before it filed for bankruptcy in May 2022. Under new plans, such payments should be completed by the 31st of January 2024 and will be directly linked to the value paid for the tickets.

The airline which has had its operating performance boosted since the reopening of Thailand earlier this year is projected to fly 4.4 million passengers in 2022 with an average flight load of about 80%. 

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/10/21/flyers-to-finally-receive-refunds-from-thai-airways/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-10-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

They are still struggling. This week they are stopping the flights from Perth to Bangkok.

I checked flights from Perth no economy but business class $12,000 AUD return , even their flights from Sydney economy are very expensive, Singapore airlines now has a stranglehold on flights from Australia to Thailand , still no flights direct from Brisbane , have to fly Qantas Brisbane to Sydney then they give you 75 mins to transfer from domestic to international terminal (in this time you have to disembark Qantas jet, collect bags , shuttle bus to international terminal , check in, clear customs ) talk about fine if not impossible 

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

For those reading this and waiting for a refund, all I can say is,   'don't hold your breath'

Got my refund from them early this year, they were very helpful. I hope they recover quickly, have booked again with them.

6 minutes ago, darrenr said:

I checked flights from Perth no economy but business class $12,000 AUD return , even their flights from Sydney economy are very expensive, Singapore airlines now has a stranglehold on flights from Australia to Thailand , still no flights direct from Brisbane , have to fly Qantas Brisbane to Sydney then they give you 75 mins to transfer from domestic to international terminal (in this time you have to disembark Qantas jet, collect bags , shuttle bus to international terminal , check in, clear customs ) talk about fine if not impossible 

Generally requires 3 hrs so have your running shoes on. Good luck.

4 hours ago, Inala said:

I hope they make it through these tough times, their hostesses are hot. Fantastic airline.

Air Asia stewardesses are much hotter than Thai stewardesses. Being a 'legacy airline', many of Thai's stewardesses should have retired 25 years ago, an old friend used to say that Air Canada were the same, (grab-a-grannie).

I see Thai now wanting £1350 to fly LHR-BKK rtn, it used to be half as much.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I stopped flying Thai years ago. A truly sub-standard flying experience. And to show I'm not Thai bashing, I also stopped flying British Airways years ago for exactly the same reason

Much of it somes down to "cost-cutting".

I have recently had Long Haul Flights with both Thai and Singapore Airlines.Thai was surprisingly superior at every point from Check In to food to seat comfort.Have another long haul booked with Thai.They have just changed the timing of the return leg by 6 hours that now doesn’t coincide with a domestic connection.Will be interesting to see how they handle the required rescheduling that is now required.

flying with Thai every three weeks direct to Europe. The price is the cheapest option and no stopover in the ME.  Service is good, main meal better than other airlines, breakfast same as others.... dog s***

The worst thing is, unlike six months ago, the plane is 100% full every time now, i was getting quite accustomed to having a row to myself haha.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

As part of its revised business plan approved by the Central Bankruptcy Court in Bangkok on Thursday, Thai Airways will finally begin refunding ticket purchases made by customers before it filed for bankruptcy in May 2022.

If they owed me money I'd never fly them again.  The fact that they owe people money is enough to keep me from flying this them.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Bangkok Bank, a key dissenting creditor in a submission to the Central Bankruptcy Court has expressed its doubts about the firm’s high-flying plans to find further credit which includes an expressed intention to relaunch itself on the stock market by 2025.

It's being propped up by some influential players.. 

it should have gone to the wall,
A national flagship... more like a national disgrace.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Drop the dead donkey said:

Are you xenophobic towards Thai nationals ?

meaning you think that the nation doesn’t have highly educated people to run a company?

Does this mean you might be an expat looking down on Thai nationals as uneducated?

Your words are very concerning and should have been flagged by a site monitor.

It's possible to be highly educated and a crook at the same time????