6 months to live what would you do?

Sparktrader

On 10/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, Speedhump said:

A lucky man. My wife and and I are the same. But aggressive cancer has reared its ugly head. 

I read your one-sentence comment here...several times.

Sorry to know this has happened to you, even though I do not know you.

I think that, once one reaches a fairly ripe old age, one might wish to have cancer oneself rather than to see one's loved one stricken with cancer.

I do know that I would.

In such case, when cancer strikes a loved one, then one does not consider much of a "life" beyond the life together one is sharing, at the present moment.  In such case, the future seems of not much importance, at all.

Cancer can come when least expected, even though we know we really should expect it, the longer we live.

When cancer happens, especially to someone we love, we realize that we are powerless.

Nothing we might do or say makes much meaningful difference.

Words no longer have much power.

Even words are powerless in the face of cancer.

F  Cancer.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, peter zwart said:

just spend my time as much as i can with my daughters and be happy im done. Life is np fun anymore. about 90% of the people are sjithe@ds and governments make sure you dont enjoy the daily life. Good bye world would be coming from my smiling lips. Vuck it all

Well, obviously, you are no Einstein.

Einstein worked at his desk until his dying day, so it is told.

Einstein contributed his theory of Special Relativity versus his theory of General Relativity to all Mankind.

Heavenly Bodies and Cosmology were his forte.

How many heavenly bodies have you seen lately?

Get yourself a feeling for a heavenly body, and become more productive, is good advice.

"General Theory of Relativity" explains the feeling you get when you are a farang in Thailand, of course.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

16 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, obviously, you are no Einstein.

Einstein worked at his desk until his dying day, so it is told.

Einstein contributed his theory of Special Relativity versus his theory of General Relativity to all Mankind.

Heavenly Bodies and Cosmology were his forte.

How many heavenly bodies have you seen lately?

Get yourself a feeling for a heavenly body, and become more productive, is good advice.

"General Theory of Relativity" explains the feeling you get when you are a farang in Thailand, of course.

What did Einstein do for humanity we could not live without?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

WOW, Man!

Thank you for this open-ended question which could go "on and on",  a type of question true to my heart.

Nobody loves to go on and on, like me.

Let's begin with the photoelectric effect, for one:

The emission of electrons from a metal plate caused by light quanta – photons.

You could not live your intelligent life, as you know it, without knowing about, or ignorantly benefitting from,  the photoelectric effect, thanks to Albert.

image.png.90b1b360ffdb98814c32cc280741538b.png

I am sure you just love the excitation of photons in Pattaya.

Thank you, Albert!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I read your one-sentence comment here...several times.

Sorry to know this has happened to you, even though I do not know you.

I think that, once one reaches a fairly ripe old age, one might wish to have cancer oneself rather than to see one's loved one stricken with cancer.

I do know that I would.

In such case, when cancer strikes a loved one, then one does not consider much of a "life" beyond the life together one is sharing, at the present moment.  In such case, the future seems of not much importance, at all.

Cancer can come when least expected, even though we know we really should expect it, the longer we live.

When cancer happens, especially to someone we love, we realize that we are powerless.

Nothing we might do or say makes much meaningful difference.

Words no longer have much power.

Even words are powerless in the face of cancer.

F  Cancer.

Thank you, that's perfectly state. Carer, but actually powerless, wishing it were you instead, frustration with wary insurance companies, the realisation that after 45 years together nothing else is important at all other than just being together. Happily we have had a lot of years with me working from home, and then 6-7 years retirement, and we've always just enjoyed lazy time together. Many people aren't as lucky. Thanks again, your post was really appreciated. ????????

22 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Thank you, that's perfectly state. Carer, but actually powerless, wishing it were you instead, frustration with wary insurance companies, the realisation that after 45 years together nothing else is important at all other than just being together. Happily we have had a lot of years with me working from home, and then 6-7 years retirement, and we've always just enjoyed lazy time together. Many people aren't as lucky. Thanks again, your post was really appreciated. ????????

As you say, having had 45 very good years together, and now still having so many precious memories of those years, then it is really difficult to expect much more, at least in this life.  And as you say, what could have been better than the close quality years you have had together, thus far?  Probably nothing could have been better.  Therefore, in this respect, you are lucky, as you say.  Your good fortune is that you found the best meaning in life, in this life, for many years.  Lucky!

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 6:18 AM, peter zwart said:

just spend my time as much as i can with my daughters and be happy im done. Life is np fun anymore. about 90% of the people are sjithe@ds and governments make sure you dont enjoy the daily life. Good bye world would be coming from my smiling lips. Vuck it all

Apart from daughters which I do not have, pretty much agree with rest of it.

In the military we had a saying "life is <deleted> and then you die". Still valid for me 30 + years later.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

You could not live your intelligent life, as you know it, without knowing about, or ignorantly benefitting from,  the photoelectric effect, thanks to Albert.

Depends entirely on one's opinion as to whether such improved human intelligence overall, or just made us more stupid.

Strange as it may seem to some, humanity did quite well before Albert became more than spermatozoa.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:19 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

or ignorantly benefitting from

same with water, food, good qualities of sleep, nutrients, clean air, etc......... 

Forget everything, Pattaya all-day every day!!!!!!    Benefits, many benefits.....

LOSexpats 

6 months to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Now 5!!!!!!      Quit posting, start living!!!!!  Pattaya is calling..................

On 10/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, Hummin said:

An excellent question.

IMO the people that did the most for us were Alexander Fleming for penicillin, and Babbage for his calculating machine that became the computer that saved Britain from the U boats in WW2.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

computer that saved Britain from the U boats in WW2.

when you say "most for us" I hope you don't mean humanity!!!!!  lol

The introduction of aircraft carriers, Very Long Range aircraft and roving 'support groups' of warships eventually defeated the U-boats at the end of May 1943.    

I'd put your deciphering machine and finding of those deciphering books Number 890237432094384903 on the list of most important things that saved humanity.   

humanity could easily live without that.   easily.     

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

An excellent question.

IMO the people that did the most for us were Alexander Fleming for penicillin, and Babbage for his calculating machine that became the computer that saved Britain from the U boats in WW2.

Definitely agree with antibiotics. They made surgery much safer. Prior to them, doctors were reluctant to operate in case of post-operative infections resulting in young people dying from tonsilitis (for example).

23 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

when you say "most for us" I hope you don't mean humanity!!!!!  lol

The introduction of aircraft carriers, Very Long Range aircraft and roving 'support groups' of warships eventually defeated the U-boats at the end of May 1943.    

I'd put your deciphering machine and finding of those deciphering books Number 890237432094384903 on the list of most important things that saved humanity.   

humanity could easily live without that.   easily.     

Breaking the codes allowed Britain to know where in a very large ocean the U boats were. Till the computer was made code breakers were unable to find out in time to do anything about it. Perhaps without it Britain would have been unable to survive till the aircraft carriers and long range planes became available.

The list of things that saved Britain and us is not long. Case of the right few people being in the right places at the right time.