Just before a trial concerning George Floyd's murder, an ex-officer pleads guilty

onthedarkside

Screenshot_10.jpg.2c6661afc6f8eda25cd4ebad26bb58fc.jpg

Tou Thao, left, and J. Alexander Kueng, are both former Minneapolis police officers charged in the May 2020 killing of George Floyd.

It's been more than a year since former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was sentenced to 22 ½ years in prison for the May 2020 murder and manslaughter of George Floyd.

As a trial was set to begin on Monday for two ex-officers charged with aiding and abetting the manslaughter and murder of Floyd, one of the former officers — J. Alexander Kueng — accepted a plea deal that will require him plead guilty to one charge. And instead of a jury trial, Tou Thao's case will now be decided by a judge.

On Monday morning, Kueng, 29, accepted a plea deal in which he will plead guilty to aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter of Floyd, and the charge of his aiding and abetting Floyd's murder will be dropped. The deal calls for Kueng to be sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison, according to The Associated Press.

(more)

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/24/1129993078/george-floyd-tou-thao-j-alexander-kueng-trial

NPR.jpg.d14580cb73b3bc8b58c4d87dd042a054.jpg

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/minneapolis-police-departments-struggle-to-recruit-cops-lingers/

In today's world who would still consider a job as a cop in Minneapolis or any place for that matter.

Even if they do want to be a cop, I reckon they will be turning a lot of blind eye's to crime by certain ethnicities.

It's all going to end very badly for a lot of folk, IMO.

At least in the US, people can own weapons and are allowed to protect themselves and property by lethal force.

Every time something like this happens I expect gun sales will increase.

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even if they do want to be a cop, I reckon they will be turning a lot of blind eye's to crime by certain ethnicities.

At least in the US, people can own weapons and are allowed to protect themselves and property by lethal force.

Even if they do want to be a cop, I reckon they will be turning a lot of blind eye's to crime by certain ethnicities

You mean they will be turning a blind eye to crimes just like they have been doing for whites for a very, very long time.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Holding cops accountable for extrajudicial killings is good thing.

If cops are inclined not to go around murdering people, that too is a good thing.

Its certainly not a portent of the ‘Cassandrian doom’ you are so fond of.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Either plead guilty to those charges and get a reduced punishment , or plead innocent to more serious charges and risk a life sentence if found guilty .

Plead guilty to avoid more serious charges 

Plead guilty because you are guilty. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Plead guilty because you are guilty. 

Plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid more serious charges .

One of the other Police officers has refused  to "lie" and accept and plead guilty to the lesser charges and is pleading full "Not guilty on all charges" .

Lets see whether he gets guilty or not guilty 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid more serious charges .

One of the other Police officers has refused  to "lie" and accept and plead guilty to the lesser charges and is pleading full "Not guilty on all charges" .

Lets see whether he gets guilty or not guilty 

My post is discussing the guilty who pled guilty because they are guilty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Oh please, they'll plead whatever for shortest jail term. Even though they're guilty of nothing more than doing their job.

They pled guilty as charged. Therefore they are guilty as charged. Guilty of the crime with which they were charged.