Thaksin blames Gen. Prawit for the Tak Bai massacre

webfact

screenshot_18753.jpg

By Erich Parpart

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra blamed the Tak Bai massacre in 2004 on the security forces in the south and Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan who was the army chief at the time while coming out to apologize for the atrocities committed by the security forces.

“Even though I did not order the massacre, but as Prime Minister, I would like to say I am sorry and apologize to the families of those who lost their loved ones,” the self-exiled former Prime Minister said late last night at his bi-weekly talk show on Clubhouse.

Yesterday marked the 18th anniversary of the Tak Bai massacre that saw as many 85 people who died due to suffocation and lack of food after the security forces rounded up thousands of protestors who were trying to free 6 of the village’s defence volunteers who were arrested for allegedly stealing state weapons and provide them to insurgents in the area.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/45390/thaksin-blames-gen-prawit-for-the-tak-bai-massacre-says-seed-to-overthrow-him-was-his-disapproval-of-militarys-handling-the-situation/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-10-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm, so he brings up the incident to defame his political opponent, but IMO it would have been best to not mention it at all.  I would think only the Muslims and the most liberal of Thais care about the incident.  This would be like denouncing your buddy as a rapist, you saw it yourself while you say you were only holding her down for him.

OK, it has to be done:  "The operation failed because I didn't know what time it was, I promise you it will not happen again" says Prawit. ????

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

It happened under your watch, which makes you responsible. You should have taken responsibility and offered your resignation. 

only after sacking Prawit.

But what a slime bag, denied all responsibility and actually considered it nothing of importance at the time - and people want him back in the country. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Thaksin denied any knowledge of the incident

Why is he giving his opinion on something that he knows nothing about then?

Should I offer my opinion on Johannes Gutenberg's printing press, a subject that I equally deny any knowledge of?

he knew all about it but couldn't have cared less.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

Ah yes, the Tak Bai incident where the military fired their guns up to the sky and the bullets came down and killed people in the crowd.  That is what the former PM in exile gave as an excuse at the time.  Before attending an ASEAN summit shortly after he did announce that if anyone brings up Tak Bai he would walk out.

Yes, the actual videos of the start of this massacre were on Youtube which his govt actually banned for a short while.

3 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Yes, the actual videos of the start of this massacre were on Youtube which his govt actually banned for a short while.

considered fake news because at the time the PM didn't know anything about it, apparently..... 

34 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What about the deaths of ''''drug suspects''''' that you ordered to be killed without trial?

Arrogant, pathetic, corrupt killer. 

It wasn't only Drug Suspects who were killed they were Civilians, Police, Drug Addict's and Drug Dealers many of whom also had guns.
During a 3 month period of the war on drugs about 2500 people were killed which was about double the average amount at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Orinoco said:

A Thaksin Thread, how unusual.

He gets great press coverage.

Not bad for a criminal fugitive.

Amazing Thailand.

you could nearly believe that Thaksin is a fan of Aseannow

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Does everything that has happened in the last 8 years make Prayuth responsible? Should he take full responsibility and resign?

Should every general who called military coups since 1932 have taken full responsibility and resigned?

TBF if you blame Thaksin for what the army did at Tak Bai then every general who has made a coup must accept the responsibility.

Also remember that though Thaksin was the legally elected PM, he too, could not control the military.

It is a "Thaksin thread" where and how does being fair come into it?

We must condemn him, whether it was his doing or not, and ignore ( or even in some cases justify) the equally if not more egregious actions of those who overthrew his (elected) government (s) and seized power for themselves!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What about the deaths of ''''drug suspects''''' that you ordered to be killed without trial?

Arrogant, pathetic, corrupt killer. 

Perfectly acceptable in the Philippines under Duterte yet it was wrong here.  I believe at the time the war on drugs was going on in many places.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Does everything that has happened in the last 8 years make Prayuth responsible? Should he take full responsibility and resign?

Should every general who called military coups since 1932 have taken full responsibility and resigned?

TBF if you blame Thaksin for what the army did at Tak Bai then every general who has made a coup must accept the responsibility.

Also remember that though Thaksin was the legally elected PM, he too, could not control the military.

Exactly, and as soon as he left the country for a UN meeting he was deposed by a coup. So all of those who committed the coup at that time should be responsible and have resigned as well 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

It happened under your watch, which makes you responsible. You should have taken responsibility and offered your resignation. 

Sorry, my post was off topic, so I rubbed it out.

Edited by possum1931

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Perfectly acceptable in the Philippines under Duterte yet it was wrong here.  I believe at the time the war on drugs was going on in many places.

And just like Duterte's war on drugs, Thaksin's war on drugs 'conveniently' served as a way to get rid of any pesky political opposition.

The fact that innocents were also executed during his house cleaning war on drugs didn't matter to him.

The same can be said of the Tak Bai Massacre, he showed no remorse.

I really cannot believe that people can try justify and support any monster that orders the executions of innocent citizens.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yes, you are right. Your last sentence, however, should not serve as an excuse. It happened under his watch, and he needed to take responsibiliy out of respect for the families of those killed. And that is what he didnt do, actually his bully boy Samak made some disrespectful and erronous remarks to cover his derriere.

12 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

And just like Duterte's war on drugs, Thaksin's war on drugs 'conveniently' served as a way to get rid of any pesky political opposition.

The fact that innocents were also executed during his house cleaning war on drugs didn't matter to him.

The same can be said of the Tak Bai Massacre, he showed no remorse.

I really cannot believe that people can try justify and support any monster that orders the executions of innocent citizens.

Would you mind listing the the political opposition that Thaksin got rid of during his war on drugs

• Thumbs Up 1