Elon Musk's Twitter roils with hate speech as trolls test new limits

onthedarkside

6 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Also, Musk's Twitter has started fact checking the left. This will come as a surprise for many used to not having their false narratives questioned and corrected. Good that he started with a notorious liar to fact check, I like this. I like it a lot.

"Atweet by US President Joe Biden has been fact-checked on Twitter barely two days after Elon Musk finalised his $US44 billion takeover deal of the popular social networking service."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/joe-bidens-lies-fact-checked-by-elon-musks-twitter/ar-AA13yzYS

It appears Musk's Twitter will be cracking down on the "old style" of disinformation ie fake facts, not what we are used to -cracking down or censoring factual reports that are unbeneficial to the democrats. Big change!

President Biden has been fact-checked by the "lame stream liberal media" since before he took office.  Just use any search engine and type in "president biden media fact check".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It wasn't actually hate speech though , people were experimenting and seeing what words were no longer banned . People were testing the limits of what twitter will allow 

Can you point to where in the report it identifies these people as amateur experimentalists? Stop making things up.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

"the data conclusively shows that there is correlation between Musk’s arrival and a broader perceived acceptability to posted hostile content on Twitter."

"Results conclusively showed that there was an immediate spike in Tweets using one or more of the analyzed hate terms in the period leading up to Musk taking over the company."

"In sum, the content and tone of Twitter posts became measurably more oriented towards hate speech on the day Elon Musk became CEO of the company with significant reach attained for this hate content."

The dangers of such an appeal in radicalizing children and spreading misinformation to an audience still learning key critical thinking skills remain acute.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Twitter is the best existing source for breaking news. You see stories almost as they happen. OTOH, if you wait for slow moving forums, such as Aseannow, you may need to wait a day before you see anything. And on many topics, with these "curated" sites, you'll see nothing at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Twitter is the best existing source for breaking news. You see stories almost as they happen. OTOH, if you wait for slow moving forums, such as Aseannow, you may need to wait a day before you see anything. And on many topics, with these "curated" sites, you'll see nothing at all.

Very true, that's why I joined for breaking news

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Very true, that's why I joined for breaking news

And, btw, I've had a Twitter account for almost ten years. During that time, however, I've never posted a single "tweet."  It's just a good information source. In fact, I'm reading it right now in another browser window.

• Like 1

Just now, John Drake said:

And, btw, I've had a Twitter account for almost ten years. During that time, however, I've never posted a single "tweet."  It's just a good information source. In fact, I'm reading it right now in another browser window.

I've had one for around 6 years, same never posted, don't even re tweet things, just like posts where necessary so I can then reference them as needed

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, so it was a small group of people deliberately posting abusive content to cause  an issue .

300 people posting thousands of abusive tweets and re tweets to make some point . 

Its not how it was portrayed to be, it wasn't 1000's of racists all posting abusive material because they had the freedom to do so .

It was a small group of people causing havoc .

May have been the recently fired guys getting revenge on Musk for firing them ?

Do you have evidence it was recently fired guys, or is that an unsubstantiated slur?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Do you have evidence it was recently fired guys, or is that an unsubstantiated slur?

The other aspect to this being that if a relitively small number of people can cause so much hate speech then it only reinforces the need for more effective controls. Otherwise the lesson learned will be for more of the same from aligned groups with  intent on causing harm or disruption.

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It wasn't actually hate speech though , people were experimenting and seeing what words were no longer banned . People were testing the limits of what twitter will allow 

Title of OP clearly indicates there was hate speech...

"Elon Musk's Twitter roils with hate speech as trolls test new limits''

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, so it was a small group of people deliberately posting abusive content to cause  an issue .

300 people posting thousands of abusive tweets and re tweets to make some point . 

Its not how it was portrayed to be, it wasn't 1000's of racists all posting abusive material because they had the freedom to do so .

It was a small group of people causing havoc .

May have been the recently fired guys getting revenge on Musk for firing them ?

^Which is a suggestion and NOT an accusation 

When you retweet a racist or hateful post you are just as guilty. Twitter did not say how many were retweets.

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A group of 300 people posting 50 000 tweets and that gives you a rough idea .

But my point was that it wasn't thousands of people all posting racist tweets , it was a small group who deliberately posted racist tweets en masse to conspire to prove some kind of point . 

They used racist tweets to attack something , they may have been trying to damage Twitter and Musk , no doubt they will completely deny everything , say it was nothing to do with them and claim to have no idea what you are talking about and look the other way

A highly followed account posting one tweet can receive thousands of retweets, just ask Elon.

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But initially it was claimed that tens of thousands of racists had taken over Twitter and making racists posts all over the place and this was because Musk bought twitter .

Turns out it was just a small group of 300 people making numerous posts 

Saying that it came from a small nos of accounts doesn't matter. The followers will amplify those tweets by retweeting then it goes on. Just a poor excuse.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Saying that it came from a small nos of accounts doesn't matter. The followers will amplify those tweets by retweeting then it goes on. Just a poor excuse.

Well it makes a huge amount of difference .

It shows that its not a random bunch of racists all posting abusive messages  now that Musk has taken over , its shows there is a small bunch of people sabotaging Twitter by using racist messages to achieve their aims

Like, this is a false flag operation, a conspiracy .

Thats not a conspiracy theory , that's a fact 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well it makes a huge amount of difference .

It shows that its not a random bunch of racists all posting abusive messages  now that Musk has taken over , its shows there is a small bunch of people sabotaging Twitter by using racist messages to achieve their aims

Like, this is a false flag operation, a conspiracy .

Thats not a conspiracy theory , that's a fact 

You’re just not getting the logical conclusion to this are you. If it was just 300 people where those posts originated then then how many of their followers went on to amplify them by re tweeting. This has not been mentioned or perhaps you already know from somewhere?

50,000 posts from 300 people. Those 300 people will have followers. Unless twitter was super quick to delete all the posts. If that’s the case then welcome to moderation and how it will need to carry on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

You’re just not getting the logical conclusion to this are you. If it was just 300 people where those posts originated then then how many of their followers went on to amplify them by re tweeting. This has not been mentioned or perhaps you already know from somewhere?

50,000 posts from 300 people. Those 300 people will have followers. Unless twitter was super quick to delete all the posts. If that’s the case then welcome to moderation and how it will need to carry on.

It was 50 000 tweets from 300 people .

"More than 50,000 Tweets repeatedly using a particular slur came from just 300 accounts."

(link above)

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll run Twitter into the ground. We really didn't need another Parler.

Elon Musk’s Paul Pelosi tweet proves he has no business running Twitter | Robert Reich | The Guardian

Elon Musk’s Paul Pelosi tweet proves he has no business running Twitter

Robert Reich

If Musk’s tweet doesn’t raise bright red warning signs all over the world about his judgment and character, I don’t know what will

Just three days after Elon Musk bought Twitter, he posted a tweet promoting the baseless allegation that Paul Pelosi, the husband of the speaker of the House, who was assaulted on Friday at the couple’s home, had been drunk and in a fight with a male prostitute.

The police found Paul Pelosi, 82, attacked with a hammer inside his home by a man, David DePape, who had entered through the back door, seeking the speaker.

Musk’s tweet, later deleted, came in response to a tweet posted on Saturday by Hillary Clinton, attacking Republicans for spreading “hate and deranged conspiracy theories” that she said had emboldened the man who attacked Nancy Pelosi’s husband.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1