Remote work and work visa

I can't seem to find an answer for this. 

I recently arrived from overseas with a marriage visa. 

The company I was working for overseas has asked me to work remotely for them in Thailand. 

The business is all overseas with products and customers overseas, salary paid overseas. 

I read that remote work is forbidden, but I also read that a work visa is not required as long as you aren't taking a job away from a Thai person. 

Anyone know the right answer? 

Any work done in Thailand requires a work permit.

If working at home online it is a grey area and many people do it without a work permit.

If married to a Thai you and your wife could set up partnership and you could get a work permit and work as subcontractor for your employer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tigerdim said:

The company I was working for overseas has asked me to work remotely for them in Thailand. 

The business is all overseas with products and customers overseas, salary paid overseas.

Only part of your post I'm bit confused about is the company specifically asking you to work based in THAILAND..

Having said that I cannot understand why you would have any issues.

How would anyone know you are working. 

It's not as though you are in soi 4 selling ice cream. 

Keep your business to yourself. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Only part of your post I'm bit confused about is the company specifically asking you to work based in THAILAND..

I assume because he is married to a Thai, has a marriage visa and is currently residing in Thailand.

23 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I assume because he is married to a Thai, has a marriage visa and is currently residing in Thailand.

He wasn't residing in Thailand previously..

I can understand him asking the company to reside in Thailand. 

Don't follow why that request would be the other way round..

In any event not important. 

Edited by DrJack54

Thanks for your replies. 

To give more details, I left HK and moved to Thailand to take a break. 

My previous employer proposed to take me back and work 75% in Thailand and 25% in HK.

So the company isnt imposing that I work in Thailand, just proposing as they know I don't want to move back to HK full time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as your company is not expecting formal proof that you can legally work remotely without a work permit, you will be OK in practice. The kind of remote work you describe is not technically legal, but is common and is tolerated.

If you are on a high salary, you might qualify for a Long Term Resident's Visa (specifically, a category Work-from-Thailand Professional). That allows you to work without a work permit and provides a 10-year visa. The downside will be that you will be expected to pay Thai tax (usually avoided by those quietly working remotely on tourist visas).

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

As long as your company is not expecting formal proof that you can legally work remotely without a work permit, you will be OK in practice. The kind of remote work you describe is not technically legal, but is common and is tolerated.

If you are on a high salary, you might qualify for a Long Term Resident's Visa (specifically, a category Work-from-Thailand Professional). That allows you to work without a work permit and provides a 10-year visa. The downside will be that you will be expected to pay Thai tax (usually avoided by those quietly working remotely on tourist visas).

I don't think you need to pay income tax on overseas income.  That's what it says on the LTR website, and if you work in Thailand, you get a lower income tax rate.  Source:  https://ltr.boi.go.th/ 

While it's a grey area, so called digital nomads are tolerated by immigration. 

There's plenty of co working shared offices in remote working hubs like Chiang Mai full of people like the OP.

Pre COVID, Chiang Mai immigration actually made a statement to the effect that digital nomads don't interest them.

People here doing jobs that a Thai could do, without a work visa...eg bar staff, English teachers or as evidenced in my gym, personal trainers.. that's an entirely different story.

Edited by mockingbird

16 hours ago, Tigerdim said:

Thanks for your replies. 

To give more details, I left HK and moved to Thailand to take a break. 

My previous employer proposed to take me back and work 75% in Thailand and 25% in HK.

So the company isnt imposing that I work in Thailand, just proposing as they know I don't want to move back to HK full time. 

How long did you live in HK?   Might be a chance we know each other ????

so you are working in thailand for a company which is not thai. and they want you to work in thailand basically online because you moved here and living here with a thai wife (well you didnt mention but i think thats what it is). 

i was wondering if this company has any customers here in thailand because it sounds like you are doing some kind of international marketing or service without hot contact (face to face) with customers. is this an insurance company?

Does this company have any branch in thailand or thinking opening one? because at this point not officially but you are the branch here.

if you have a contract with this company and working here yes, you need a workpermit. doesnt matter its an international or online company. I dont think you need to pay tax plus your visa is nothing about work but marriage which is your reason of staying in thailand. tbh i dont think you can get a workpermit with these conditions because your company has nothing with thailand. 

i strongly suggest you to contact to the labor office with someone who can speak good english and knows your job and working details really good so can explain every detail. thats the only way you can find the real answer.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:57 AM, mockingbird said:

People here doing jobs that a Thai could do, without a work visa...eg bar staff, English teachers or as evidenced in my gym, personal trainers.. that's an entirely different story.

This is exactly what I was reading from this website: https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-digital-nomad-visa-and-work-permit

As long as you aren't taking away a job from a local, they aren't interested. 

• Thumbs Up 1