Bring back Thaivisa.com

CrossBones

1 hour ago, rattlesnake said:

Lots of social sites have seen an exodus of their users over the past couple of years, essentially because of the censorship they have enforced on dissenting views, with regard to the Covid crisis and the political responses to it. This has been very problematic given the dire consequences of the said crisis and responses.

Asean Now heavily censors dissenting views in the name of "fighting misinformation", a trope which has been used ad nauseam in recent times to stifle any attempt at intelligent, productive debate. It therefore comes as no surprise that smarter individuals migrate elsewhere in order to have actual conversations rather than partake in mindless copy/pasting of subsidized media narratives.

Authoritarianism is never popular, nor are those who side with it, and the platforms who condoned all of this will inevitably end up in the garbage heap of history.

I recently mentioned a forum that became so devoid of posters that it became irrelevant, precisely because a new owner imposed a woke moderation policy.

In the case of A N though, much of the forum is devoted to local affairs with the subforums, so it's not entirely a social media type of forum, though whether they are sufficient alone to sustain the forum as a whole is hard to say. I do know though that the recent removal of world news did seem to cause a big drop in numbers, till they reinstated said subforum. It's still pretty quiet though, IMO.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

On my desk is my pc which I use most of the time, my sort of smart phone which is used for phone calls and my tablet that I use for reading Ebooks and playing the odd game.

I might not use my phone for 2 or 3 days at a time. but I use my pc most of the day and my tablet for an hour or so in the evenings.

Indeed, but you are not walking down the street looking at the screen and expecting everyone else to avoid you walking into them.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Sheryl and ubonjoe.

The site is over (at least with the present rules and that which cannot even be discussed) if they are not here.

"She is also a very good moderator and not prone to victimise or over police individual posters."

ubononjoe also.

Add Crossy to that list. He gave me invaluable advice when I needed it and your comment about Sheryl also applies to him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe the newbies should just read all the previous answers.

Does it really help to open a new topic: Does she still love me?

Errrr. Without someone opening new topics the forum would die. If there was never anything new to look at what would be the point of coming on?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Errrr. Without someone opening new topics the forum would die. If there was never anything new to look at what would be the point of coming on?

I mentioned newbies asking the same questions again which were already discussed every couple of weeks or months. That is boring.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I mentioned newbies asking the same questions again which were already discussed every couple of weeks or months. That is boring.

It is but would actually help a lot with Google and result in more visitors and potential users. This is why you usually setup a forum properly to divide these areas, one where the long-term members don't have to follow those repeating or new posts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Just to be clear, adding a member to your ignore list has no effect on them, whatsoever, and, judging by your response to that post, you're not ignoring him!

I don't know if you've ever blocked anyone

No, I've never been that petty and nothing any other poster writes here is of any consequence or has any adverse effect on me.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It may be but without new posts the forum would lose advertisers and we would lose a "free" forum.

It's the price to be paid. It's not like you have to click on threads you know will be boring. There are plenty of subjects I'll never click on as I know what is going to be posted on them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It is but would actually help a lot with Google and result in more visitors and potential users. This is why you usually setup a forum properly to divide these areas, one where the long-term members don't have to follow those repeating or new posts.

I said before I wish the forum would separate world news from the rest so if I was suspended there I could still post on other subforums.

That's why i stopped posting on world news for a long time.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

You could always "not" click on it... your choice

Obviously, I am not clicking on it.

Somewhere in this thread was mentioned that people don't get answers to their questions.

Many of these answers exist already because the question was asked already. So nobody should be surprised that the same members won't answer the same questions again.

That was and is my point.

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I've never been that petty and nothing any other poster writes here is of any consequence or has any adverse effect on me.

"nothing any other poster writes here is of any consequence".

I already guessed this was how you felt.

19 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"nothing any other poster writes here is of any consequence".

I already guessed this was how you felt.

Shame that you misquoted me, I actually wrote, "nothing any other poster writes here is of any consequence or has any adverse effect on me.

• Like 1

If I want to find out information about a country I'll go to a forum that is that country specific. I don't know whether the rebranding has proved commercially successful but looking at the other Asean country sub-forums and lack of discussion traffic I'd say it's been a bit pointless in expanding membership.

• Like 1