4 am Nightlife closing time pushed again by minister as TAT unveils deal to boost US tourists

webfact

11 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I now live in Siem Reap (Cambodia) and, with respect, I find your comment rather offensive. I cannot speak for Phnom Penh, but I can assure you that many of Siem Reap's bars/licensed restaurants are closed by midnight and most (including nightclubs) by 2am, even in Pub Street. I do not know, but no doubt there will be a bar tucked away for "alcofrolics" to pass the night away!

Referring to your "s..thole" comment, for reference 14 October 2022:-

"Time Out magazine, a prominent publication based in London, UK, has named Wat Bo, in Siem Reap town, as one of the “world’s coolest neighbourhoods in 2022”................. which came third in the overall world ranking and took the crown of being the coolest neighbourhood in Asia,” it said"......... Wat Bo located in Sala Kamroeuk commune, on the eastern side of the river, opposite the well-known tourist destinations of Pub Street and the night market"

Looking forward to Christmas there.....away from the idiot's lol

• Thumbs Up 1

This minister is trying to attract families and other quality tourists... But wait a minute. Why doesn't he talk about improving the infrastructure for such tourists? Maybe simple things like public toilets and changing rooms on the beaches? No special entry fees for tourists at many sights? 

But no - he wants longer opening hours for the sex and entertainment businesses. Good. How about this - entertainment venues near residential areas such as condominiums and hotels - midnight closing time. All other areas where nobody will be disturbed - closing time 4 or no closing time at all.

This will lead to a "natural" zoning over time. Zoning is more than overdue at many locations. There are people that have to work and need sleep. There are also children that need to sleep. There are not only party, booze and sex tourists... 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I now live in Siem Reap (Cambodia) and, with respect, I find your comment rather offensive. I cannot speak for Phnom Penh, but I can assure you that many of Siem Reap's bars/licensed restaurants are closed by midnight and most (including nightclubs) by 2am, even in Pub Street. I do not know, but no doubt there will be a bar tucked away for "alcofrolics" to pass the night away!

Referring to your "s..thole" comment, for reference 14 October 2022:-

"Time Out magazine, a prominent publication based in London, UK, has named Wat Bo, in Siem Reap town, as one of the “world’s coolest neighbourhoods in 2022”................. which came third in the overall world ranking and took the crown of being the coolest neighbourhood in Asia,” it said"......... Wat Bo located in Sala Kamroeuk commune, on the eastern side of the river, opposite the well-known tourist destinations of Pub Street and the night market"

Didn't mean to offend the good people of Siem Reap.  Haven't been there for 20 years so its good to know they have a handle on things.

I just assumed (wrongly) that things usually go downhill.  Sorry.  Comment was more directed at Pnom Penh.

• Thanks 1

They need all the Tourists. Singles, couples and families. That way the income is spread across a range of businesses.

Also in two weeks there is the World Cup and a lot of matches don't start until 2 o'clock. The bars that show football need that income.

16 hours ago, Onerak said:

Flight prices are sky high right now. A one ticket from Ord to BKK in March/April showing $750 compared to $550 before the pandemic and sometimes even as cheap as $300. May be it is the new normal. Round trip prices are still reasonable. May be I book a round trip to make a trip for three months. 

For those who may have wondered, like I have, with "Ord" the poster probably meant ORD, which is the IATA code for Chicago O'Hare International Airport in the USA.

• Like 1

Wife just showed me a Thai TV news clip, dunno which channel, said the other day about 75 planes landed into Suvarnaphum within the space of 3 hours, the most they've seen since prior to Covid. Lines at immigration pretty slammed. Lots of younger people. Looks to me they're eager to party again post-Covid. Something's gonna have to be done to get them to open their wallets, other than the typical scams.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:56 AM, sambum said:

Of course not - he thought that once restrictions were dropped, tourists would flood back in their millions with not a thought about whether people could afford it!

I had breakfast at the Landmark Hotel this morning and the room they have breakfast in was packed with hotel guest

14 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Wife just showed me a Thai TV news clip, dunno which channel, said the other day about 75 planes landed into Suvarnaphum within the space of 3 hours, the most they've seen since prior to Covid. Lines at immigration pretty slammed. Lots of younger people. Looks to me they're eager to party again post-Covid. Something's gonna have to be done to get them to open their wallets, other than the typical scams.

I came in at 5am from Japan not to crowded but a few younger folks coming

On 11/5/2022 at 5:05 AM, Onerak said:

Flight prices are sky high right now. A one ticket from Ord to BKK in March/April showing $750 compared to $550 before the pandemic and sometimes even as cheap as $300. May be it is the new normal. Round trip prices are still reasonable. May be I book a round trip to make a trip for three months. 

Ord ???

On 11/4/2022 at 6:57 PM, shackleton said:

Not many families with kids will be going out at 2300hrs 

I remember as a teenager I used to go out to party around 11pm. That was a long time ago. Now I goto bed before 11pm. Somewhere in between I think 2300hrs meant something.

Edited by JimTripper

• 2 weeks later...

It worked before they started changing the opening hrs of bars in  towns for tourist.Talking about it is a start bring  back the 4am  closing time everyone happy  and they were never a big problem.look at bkk.the st bars that popped up selling drink and food when bars closed at 2am