Elon Musk recommends votes for ‘Republican Congress’ in U.S. midterms

onthedarkside

Screenshot_10.jpg.d0d5493d6ec5918abcf2d36b3fb26b50.jpg

Billionaire Elon Musk urged undecided voters to back Republican candidates ahead of critical midterm elections on Tuesday that will determine control of Congress.

“To independent-minded voters: Shared power curbs the worst excesses of both parties, therefore I recommend voting for a Republican Congress, given that the Presidency is Democratic,” Musk said.

“Hardcore Democrats or Republicans never vote for the other side, so independent voters are the ones who actually decide who’s in charge!” Musk added.

(more)

https://nypost.com/2022/11/07/elon-musk-recommends-votes-for-republican-congress-in-midterms/

645829920_NewYorkPost.jpg.d407e9a063920e9ce74b3fb23dec4219.jpg

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

They are only objecting because now both sides get freedom of speech are the same rules apply to all.

They were fine with the previous owners suppressing the right while allowing the radical left to post whatever they liked. "Go set up your own platform" they cried. 

Musk's point about shared power is a valid one. Obviously it won't be liked by the far left progressives.

By the by, I really don't think Elon Musk needs business advice from retired expats living in Thailand. He seems to be doing OK.

image.png.367541635a261c03ea4a8d64ba9a1b11.png

I think you need to hold on your exhilaration as regards to absolutist freedom of speech. Wait and see what his policies as he has announced a council would be set up full of diverse voices to decide on controversial moderation decisions and permanent suspension. As regards to his business acumen, I am not sure that his subscription route to profit is sound. More than half a million users including celebrities have moved to Mastodon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I like people who don’t overpay for a company and then whinge like a hysterical child when buyers remorse sets in and sacks half the workforce in a desperate attempt to save money. 

Errrr, he tried to back out and only bought it because they went to court to force him to do so. He got revenge on them though, LOL. I guess they didn't think it through.

I'm thinking that the OP is the first time I've ever agreed with him on anything.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

They are only objecting because now both sides get freedom of speech are the same rules apply to all.

They were fine with the previous owners suppressing the right while allowing the radical left to post whatever they liked. "Go set up your own platform" they cried. 

Musk's point about shared power is a valid one. Obviously it won't be liked by the far left progressives.

By the by, I really don't think Elon Musk needs business advice from retired expats living in Thailand. He seems to be doing OK.

image.png.367541635a261c03ea4a8d64ba9a1b11.png

You haven't been paying attention.  Musk has not changed any policies, he's talked of creating committees to discuss changing them.

He's also fired half the staff, is now trying to hire some back, has run off many users and advertisers, has implemented a paid "verification" scheme that doesn't say how or if the people who pay will be verified, banned parody accounts the day a parody account of Elon Musk was created https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/comedian-kathy-griffin-suspended-twitter-mocking-ceo-elon-musk-rcna55916, and in general displayed clueless incompetence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Errrr, he tried to back out and only bought it because they went to court to force him to do so. He got revenge on them though, LOL. I guess they didn't think it through.

I'm thinking that the OP is the first time I've ever agreed with him on anything.

Still made the offer and found he couldn’t back out. Hence buyers remorse. 

As to those who forced him to honour his bid, they all got nice little bonuses.

The ones suffering the brunt of musks remorse are those who just work there. 

Edited by Bluespunk

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Still made the offer and found he couldn’t back out. Hence buyers remorse. 

As to those who forced him to honour his bid, they all got nice little bonuses.

The ones suffering the brunt of musks remorse are those who just work there. 

Another group paying a price for Musk playing a clown in the public eye are Tesla shareholders. The company's value  has plummeted >50% from it's high. Another 4% drop just today. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, pegman said:

Another group paying a price for Musk playing a clown in the public eye are Tesla shareholders. The company's value  has plummeted >50% from it's high. Another 4% drop just today. 

LOL. It could also be that people are finally realising that EVs are not the world saving option that they have been portrayed as.

If every EV manufacturer were able to be convinced batteries are not the way to go, hydrogen might have a chance- IMO a far, far superior option than batteries.

• Thanks 2

Hell no, keep Biden & the Dems in as long as possible.

Biden inaugurated - Jan 20, 2021 - today - 25+% more buying power. USD to THB

COLA ... 5.9 % and 8.7% = 14.6 % + 25 % = 39.6 % (Jan 2023)

Increased buying power since 20 Jan 2021

image.png.a5d0370dd2c5cc2ef69483f58d38e476.png

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Thai exporters: khop khun maag krap Mr. Biden.

US exporters:  ???  (start with e.g. US hardwood exporters trying to fill up empty containers returning to Asia) 

7 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Thai exporters: khop khun maag krap Mr. Biden.

US exporters:  ???  (start with e.g. US hardwood exporters trying to fill up empty containers returning to Asia) 

The all-important Thailand-USA balance of trades issue rears its ugly head in the 2022 elections.

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Please enlighten us, how these figures have increased the buying power of the population when shopping today in their local Wallmart?

Or did you mean your buying power at 7/11? In that case I agree.  Of course, the inflation - even if not so high as at Wallmart - has reduced the buying power somehow. 

52 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Please enlighten us, how these figures have increased the buying power of the population when shopping today in their local Wallmart?

Or did you mean your buying power at 7/11? In that case I agree.  Of course, the inflation - even if not so high as at Wallmart - has reduced the buying power somehow. 

That actually very elementary economics. If the dollar is worth more, goods become cheaper to import. So that is a factor that holds prices down.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

That actually very elementary economics. If the dollar is worth more, goods become cheaper to import. So that is a factor that holds prices down.

Oh sorry, I did not know that when the dollar is now worth more,  Walmart and the others have reduced their prices, as well as the gasoline, electricity, etc.  Hence, people are happy, no longer spending so much. 

Then, I am puzzled why they speak about high inflation? 

5 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Oh sorry, I did not know that when the dollar is now worth more,  Walmart and the others have reduced their prices, as well as the gasoline, electricity, etc.  Hence, people are happy, no longer spending so much. 

Then, I am puzzled why they speak about high inflation? 

You're puzzled because for whatever reason you are only looking at one variable. A strong dollar makes the purchasing power of the dollar higher than it otherwise would be.