3 nights in Bangkok

capin

Hi All,

I've pretty limited experience on Bangkok.  I like the Kiwi bar on soi 8, The beer garden on soi 7, The bars at the front of queens park on soi 22 and The Game on Siukhumvit abd thats it really.

I am married to a Phitsanulok girl and we are heading to Thailand (from our home in North Carolina) in mid November. We were planning to spend some time at mother in laws near Phitsanulok and then head to Hua Hin and either Phuket or Pattaya for Christmas and then back to Phitsanulok for New Year. There's always a great family bash for New Year that I really enjoy.

Plans have changed a little as some of my relatives (Ireland) are going to Bangkok for the first time for a few days in early December. I am 49, missus is 39 and relatives are in their sixties. I have booked us into the Maitria on Sukhumvit 18, Stayed there before and love that hotel.

My  last time staying in bangkok was 2018 and doing some googling last night, It looks like The Kiwi bar is closed permanently and the queens park beer bar complex is gone. I imagine there has been a lot of changes in BKK.

I am planning to take my relatives to Chatuchak market one day, Soi Cowboy one evening, maybe go somewhere on the boat on the canals but then I am out of ideas. 

Can anyone make some suggestions of places to go please? Can anyone recommend some places to eat on Sukhumvit, maybe pub grub and restaurants please? Thai and European are both good. Are there any good beer bar complexes left where we can play pool and just have some fun?

Thanks,

Sukhumvit can be a challenge for dining. There is a good Japanese place on the corner or 24/1, that is reasonable and popular. 

Otherwise, the malls have a good selection of restaurants. 

Nearly all the good bars on soi 22 are gone. That was a great complex. Sad to see it torn down. The bar scene in Bangkok is greatly diminished. Still a great city, though. 

• Like 1

+1 for Saxophone Bar.

Especially if you are looking for quality music.

Food is fine. On the BTS line so it's easy taxi or rail.

Soi 4 is still good place with some friends. 

Be prepared for huge change in bar/music scene since covid.

However it's slowly getting back.

Plenty of suggestions on Google. 

Places such as The Night Train market (Ratchada) was completely demolished however now has new "The One" Ratchada

Reviews etc on Google. On the MRT.

OP, just one opinion....your itinerary plans seem bit too much.

Hua Hin is nothing like it was.

All the bar area near the Hilton is done (Bintabaht)

However new bar area has been created. (Wonderland).

Pattaya better option imo. 

Personally just got back from Koh Samed and that's a place you can add to Pattaya also even Bang Suray (chill joint) 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Take Silom off any list you have it is still dead 

You might want to take them to the NANA Entertainment area just to see what it looks like.

Hillary's is still good.

The Game is a great sport bar good food

If your friends like to swim and enjoy the beach then most definitely I would take them to samed for a couple of days or if you and the wife want to get away to a quiet spot.

Pattaya 

I would recommend either Alcazar (just don't tell them before hand)

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sukhumvit can be a challenge for dining. There is a good Japanese place on the corner or 24/1, that is reasonable and popular. 

Otherwise, the malls have a good selection of restaurants. 

Nearly all the good bars on soi 22 are gone. That was a great complex. Sad to see it torn down. The bar scene in Bangkok is greatly diminished. Still a great city, though. 

Most of the bars from Soi 22 have relocated to Soi 7 just before Beer Garden. Also Soi Cowboy is dead, I was there about 7 weeks ago and it's dead as 1/4 of the bars are still closed. Nana Plaza is the place to go to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dsj said:

Most of the bars from Soi 22 have relocated to Soi 7 just before Beer Garden. Also Soi Cowboy is dead, I was there about 7 weeks ago and it's dead as 1/4 of the bars are still closed. Nana Plaza is the place to go to.

Those bars may have relocated, but they sure were unable to attract many attractive gals. Even Nana is nearly dead. Most of the good spots upstairs are bereft of talent. A year ago it was better. Not sure what happened. Maybe the hot gals left, when they realized there was no real money to be made. 

It seems the fake puritans were successful in permanently damaging nightlife in Thailand. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Haha 1

You're right about the Kiwi, was one of my favorite pubs to chill at.

I've taken a liking to O'Sheas on Sukhumvit 33/1, has tables on a veranda out front and pub fare. There is also a Japanese place right next door, Ten Ten, and on the corner is another English Pub called Robinhood. 
The huge Emquartier/Emporium malls are only a short distance away.

For Thai food I always recommend Wanakarm Restaurant right off Sukhumvit 23, and Phuket cuisine at Prai Raya on Soi 8.
Another spot I like to take visitors is Tawandaeng German Brewery on Rama 3 - they have a live show with a mix of performers and music.

Edited by expat_4_life

Limoncello in soi 11 and Bella Napoli in soi 31 have good Italian food.

As for music: Country Roads (fun place) and Penny Black have good bands, both at the Asok side of Soi Cowboy. BarSu (Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit) will re-open on 11.11. Apoteka (soi 11) will re-open under another name on 16.11. Shenanigans in Silom, Patpong, has great bands on Wednesday and Fridays (Beatles).

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

I don't know 3 nights 

w about 3 nights but this is 1 night 

Shame no-one picked a backdrop without all the black 5hit on the walls and a lovely antenna. The Roly Polys were more entertaining and erotic than these lot.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Tour guides, y'all ain't.  Thailand for 1st time, and with exception of 'maybe a canal trip'... a bunch of bars, and adult entertainment venues ????

Suggest you ask them what they want to see & do.  Personally I would go with something uniquely Thailand.  Bars & hookers are everywhere, worldwide.  Last thing I want to do, is travel a few thousand mile/kms, to sit in a bar, and worse, eating western food.  Thailand for an English brekkie, Toad in Hole, or Meat pie ... watching hookers work their sales routine ... seems like wasted time & money.

''Personally I would go with something uniquely Thailand.  Bars & hookers are everywhere, worldwide.''

Aside from the Philippine's there's nothing quite as decadent as wondering around the night life in Thailand, completely safe and a unique experience. Its the sex capital of the world for a reason and not be missed. People spend thousands 'wasting' there money every year.

Not sayings its for everyone and some of your prospective guests might well be horrified at the scene in Thailand.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be taking your relatives  to places such as Soi Cowboy, Nana , etc.  it’s not a boys night out looking for women and cheap booze. 
One option is you can take them to Asiatique on the river.  A lot of nice restaurants there.  And you can walk along the river front.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ed strong said:

''Personally I would go with something uniquely Thailand.  Bars & hookers are everywhere, worldwide.''

Aside from the Philippine's there's nothing quite as decadent as wondering around the night life in Thailand, completely safe and a unique experience. Its the sex capital of the world for a reason and not be missed. People spend thousands 'wasting' there money every year.

Not sayings its for everyone and some of your prospective guests might well be horrified at the scene in Thailand.

Not sure that its a good idea to take a couple of 60 year olds to see prostitution on a trip to Thailand , they could be disgusted .

What if the man decides to use a prostitute and leave  his Wife ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Not sure that its a good idea to take a couple of 60 year olds to see prostitution on a trip to Thailand , they could be disgusted .

What if the man and his wife both decide to use a prostitute?

• Haha 1

Grand Palace...a must see as are the next 4.

Mahanakhon Tower

ICON Siam

Wat Arun/Wat Pho

Chinatown

Little India

Asiatique with or without a river trip.....a bit touristy and may not yet be back to it's best.

JJ Weekend market.

Soi Cowboy if you want to show the 'entertainment industry'

Khon show for a bit of Thai culture 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Get a grip !!

....and, there is no prostitution in Thailand..

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Or ... they may want to share a katoey and get their freak on ...

... hence my suggestion to ask them what they want to see & do ????

I know my brothers & wives would be upset if taking them to Nana/Soi Cowboy, turn around & hop on 1st plane out of here.

Some friends would probably ask me to go somewhere to get their freak on, along with some real Thai sites, markets (not the krap Chatuchak).

Riverboat up to Ko Kret/Chit Beer after a stroll around.  Catch sunset at Wat Arun on boat ride back (timing is everything), hit ICONSIAM for the excellent fake floating market & dinner at one of the posh places upstairs, overlooking river & city.

Hit one of the canal markets, and or canal/river hotel & definitely ChinaTown, day or night.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Or ... they may want to share a katoey and get their freak on ...

... hence my suggestion to ask them what they want to see & do ????

Better to ask them before they arrive , send them an E-mail asking whether they would like a prostitute for an hour or whole night and which gender they would like the prostitute to be , and how many they would like , that way they have some time to considier it 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Better to ask them before they arrive , send them an E-mail asking whether they would like a prostitute for an hour or whole night and which gender they would like the prostitute to be , and how many they would like , that way they have some time to considier it 

You may need to learn how to use the smiley emoticon because, in all honesty, I can never tell when you are joking and when you are serious.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ko Kret/Chit Beer

We just drive and take the little ferry from the wat. But every single person I have taken there have loved it. The last time something new. At the bar you can now buy a nice blunt, spliff, joint and enjoy with your beer if you like. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

60s is never too old for experimenting, or reliving our past experiences  You'd be surprised what us hippie dippy types were up to in our youth.

Some of you youngins' just don't know how to get your freak on.

38 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well then he is living life to the full