What is the cleanest and nearest beach located near Bangkok?

Goodboybkk

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

For Toey Ngam Beach, it sounds by your comment that the locals physically attack and abuse foreigners! In fact, it is simply a naval/military beach, and therefore non-Thais are not allowed to enter.

Or they'll get attacked and abused ????

• Haha 2

The beach at the Sattahip Naval Station DOES allow foreigners and it's one of the nicest places we've come across, easily accessible from Pattaya. Good sandy beach, unspoilt cove, really desert island like. It's called Sai Kaew Beach.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, marin said:

Nigel is spot on. This is the only beach other than Samet we go to in the Pattaya/Rayong area. Yes you have to pay and yes it is on a navy base but its nice, very nice with good cheaper food as well. We had to stop and check in to go. Sai Keow is the name. On the weekends you park your car and take a shuttle to the beach, but its well organized.

I just heard it's closed this year whilst they let the marine life recover....marin, tell 'em it's closed and they can't go there. 

• Like 1

The farther you go, the cleaner the waster gets. For convenience, Bang Saen and Jomtien. Koh Larn is nice but you need to get the ferry. Hua Hin and Koh Chang are the nearest beach resort areas but much farther. For surf and reefs you need to go to Phuket though.

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

The farther you go, the cleaner the waster gets. For convenience, Bang Saen and Jomtien. Koh Larn is nice but you need to get the ferry. Hua Hin and Koh Chang are the nearest beach resort areas but much farther. For surf and reefs you need to go to Phuket though.

Bang Saen is disgusting, Jomtien marginally better.

Koh Samet is miles closer than Koh Chang, half the journey time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, simon43 said:

For Toey Ngam Beach, it sounds by your comment that the locals physically attack and abuse foreigners! In fact, it is simply a naval/military beach, and therefore non-Thais are not allowed to enter.

Quite. My wife took me there best part of 20 years ago and by the time we had got out of the vehicle a guy on a motorbike turned up and said we had to  leave.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 4:06 PM, marin said:

Nigel is spot on. This is the only beach other than Samet we go to in the Pattaya/Rayong area. Yes you have to pay and yes it is on a navy base but its nice, very nice with good cheaper food as well. We had to stop and check in to go. Sai Keow is the name. On the weekends you park your car and take a shuttle to the beach, but its well organized.

Quite Sattahip is not anti foreigner, they just have their way of doing things. I went to a burial at sea there on a navy launch, not a problem. Also a funeral in the base temple during the pandemic.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:55 PM, josephbloggs said:

I would stay away from mainland beaches around Bangkok. In fact anywhere in the country the islands are much nicer.  I would say Koh Samet.  2.5 hour drive from Bangkok, short boat trip.  Fine white sand, clean water.

slide-beach-03.jpeg

Unless they have massivly cleaned up their act in the last 6 years, Koh Samet beaches are very high in fecal coliform.  Many bungalow resorts dump their sewage directly into the sea.  

I went with a friend.  We spent the afternoon swimming at Lung Dam beach.  That night she came down with high feaver, convulsions.  Speedboat to Hospital in Rayong.  First thing Doctor asked is if she had been swimming and where.   He said bacterial infections from swimming there were very common.

19 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite Sattahip is not anti foreigner, they just have their way of doing things. I went to a burial at sea there on a navy launch, not a problem. Also a funeral in the base temple during the pandemic.

Not sure those 2 count, as a function, and you probably knew people there.

Playing tourist on the beach may be a bit different.

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

Unless they have massivly cleaned up their act in the last 6 years, Koh Samet beaches are very high in fecal coliform.  Many bungalow resorts dump their sewage directly into the sea.  

Never been to Samet, but the Ko Chang beach I was at, fits that description, and the grossest thing I've ever seen, eco-F'd up wise.  Quite the shocker.

12 minutes ago, dddave said:

I went with a friend.  We spent the afternoon swimming at Lung Dam beach.  That night she came down with high feaver, convulsions.  Speedboat to Hospital in Rayong.  First thing Doctor asked is if she had been swimming and where.   He said bacterial infections from swimming there were very common.

Yeah, not very pleasant swimming with brown trout.

19 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Bang Saen is disgusting, Jomtien marginally better.

Agree completely.  Most of upper Gulf is just krap.  Lower till you get to Ban Krut, just a wee bit better. Hua Hin to look at, but won't swim in it.  Ban Krut & Thung Wua Laem, only 2 I'll swim in.  And it's been a while since doing that there.

WangKaew was OK, actually nice, but 20 yrs ago.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I hear that from every beach I know here. So where to go really ? Best beaches and water I have ever seen are in the Philippines. A bit far for a weekend holiday, though.

I know nothing exeptional even near that. Before the Tsunami I had a swim in the sea in Phuket. I did really enjoy it. Never visisted ever since. Never took a swim in the sea at all since this time. I am quite sad about this. We live at the end of Pattaya towards Sattahip. At least we have a perfect swimming pool.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I used to go several times a year (1996 was my first trip) and loved it.  Went there last about 10 years ago (?) with my parents and it was filthy and I was shocked. We checked out after one night and left.  I never went back in those ten years until a few weeks ago and it was beautiful.  Clean sand, clean sea, my kids (and me) were in the sea every day, it was fab.

So seems like they have (literally) cleaned up their act.  The resorts are much nicer now too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I believe you. I would love to try it out. However this location hardly fits the description "......nearest beach not far from Bangkok." OK, but much is subjective in life. ????

I thought you mentioned "clean" also.

Silly joke.

Hua Hin is nice.  We're actually going there for a family getaway.  Not spectacular but plenty of nice beachfront hotels, good restaurants, and shopping.

Enjoy your trip wherever you end up. 

Edited by MrJ2U

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I thought you mentioned "clean" also.

Silly joke.

Hua Hin is nice.  We're actually going to there for a family getaway.  Not spectacular but plenty of nice beachfront hotels, good restaurants, and shopping.

Enjoy your trip wherever you end up. 

I kindly return your good wishes. Yes, Hua Hin - nice for accomodation - we LOVE the Centara Grand - but we HATE the yelly fish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I kindly return your good wishes. Yes, Hua Hin - nice for accomodation - we LOVE the Centara Grand - but we HATE the yelly fish.

Yes.

Our little daughter had one in her play bucket saying Daddy look at this.

A lot worse in the rainy season. 

Hoping it will be like this:IMG_20201014_150230.thumb.jpg.2177edcad865b89251d1b8f3e19cf7e7.jpgIMG_20201014_150240.thumb.jpg.ad677253474e3e2e7b97dbc87e3c4a52.jpg