Billionaire hotel tycoon Bill Heinecke asks Thailand to charge foreigners more per room to aid industry’s economic recovery

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Tom89 said:

Which hotels does he own? I'll make a point of never staying there.

High-end hotels that are out of most of our budgets

https://www.minor.com/en/businesses/minor-hotels

The problem for hotels like this is not that there is a lack of tourists it is that there needs to be more people willing to pay his prices.

Really does not affect most of us here we will just book rooms through our Thai partners.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

He started Minor Corporation from scratch and grew it into a multi-billion dollar global conglomerate, his dad was a US service man stationed here.

I suppose even very rich people make mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suggest hotels concentrate on training staff better as the service in many hotels has slipped and esp on front desks when busy.

Obviously there are a lot of stresses out people that I see on both sides of checkin / checkouts. Once that is all sorted along with food and beverage I would happily pay and extra $8.

As usual, the good places prices correctly will be booked out and the remaining will struggle until we return to normal.

i much prefer to stay at independent hotels than the cookie cut chain groups, but that’s just me….so Bill probably won’t get any of my business.

prices are provided by supply and demand.

When equilibrium is broken it will be finding a new one.

In my opinion prices have already being inflated and I am not sure how much an expensive Thailand is attractive at tourists eyes, considering that the service quality stays the one of a cheap destination. It actually worsen due to covid and people being fired.

This will benefit mainly expensive hotels where customers do not really care spending 8usd more per night, but it will be not great for hotel who target price-sensitive customers (which are the most in Thailand).

11 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

More proof, if any were needed, that in Thailand (as elsewhere) brains and excessive wealth do not necessarily go together.

You do not know the man.Heinecke is a highly intelligent operator though like many entrepreneurs of the highest rank he has no academic credentials to speak of.He has his faults (who doesn't?), the most conspicuous being his total adherence to the exclusion of other considerations to the fortunes of William Heinecke!

• Like 2

For example this type of room that he offers needs more increase than a petty $8 to cover the costs? Just about 8k per night...

https://www.avanihotels.com/fr/riverside-bangkok/rooms/avani-panorama-river-view-junior-suite

Will never visit any of his brands again and it seems I did on few occasions before.

Edited by FinChin67
Boycot
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pomchop said:

if you are a billionaire you can spend one dollar per second for 31 years....maybe mr billionaire should donate a few of his millions to assist the travel industry that was a big part of making him wealthy.

Yep maybe he could pay the 300baht?

3 hours ago, paul545 said:

Easy to find out which hotels and businesses he’s involved in. Google him and look at Wikipedia.

I shall do that and make sure I never stay at one of his hotels,not that he'll give a flying <deleted> but It'll make me feel better

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Sad, he should know better than to propagate two tier pricing.

Really, it's do stupid to propose such a thing. Of course most foreigners can afford this but people (like me) hate to be discriminated on the basis of their nationality. Many times I go to an attraction like a national park or a water fall and when I find out that only farangs are charged, I lose interest on the spot. I refuse to pay, not because it's going to make a difference in my pocket but I just don't want to feed this absurd! 

14 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

If I knew which hotels he's involved with, I would surely boycott them.

Minor Hotels is a hotel owner, operator and investor with a portfolio of over 75,000 rooms across more than 520 hotels, resorts and serviced suites under the Anantara, AVANI, Oaks, Tivoli, Elewana, NH Collection, NH, nhow, Marriott, Four Seasons, St. Regis, Radisson Blu and Minor International brands.

Minor Food is one of Asia's largest casual dining and quick-service restaurant companies, operating over 2,410 outlets in 24 countries under The Pizza Company, The Coffee Club, Riverside, Thai Express, Benihana, Bonchon, Swensen’s, Sizzler, Dairy Queen and Burger King brands.

Minor Lifestyle is one of Thailand's largest distributors of lifestyle brands with over 390 points of sale, focusing primarily on fashion and lifestyle products. Its brands include Anello, BergHOFF, Bodum, Bossini, Charles & Keith, Esprit, Joseph Joseph, Radley, Zwilling J.A. Henckels and Minor Smart Kids.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Minor Hotels is a hotel owner, operator and investor with a portfolio of over 75,000 rooms across more than 520 hotels, resorts and serviced suites under the Anantara, AVANI, Oaks, Tivoli, Elewana, NH Collection, NH, nhow, Marriott, Four Seasons, St. Regis, Radisson Blu and Minor International brands.

Minor Food is one of Asia's largest casual dining and quick-service restaurant companies, operating over 2,410 outlets in 24 countries under The Pizza Company, The Coffee Club, Riverside, Thai Express, Benihana, Bonchon, Swensen’s, Sizzler, Dairy Queen and Burger King brands.

Minor Lifestyle is one of Thailand's largest distributors of lifestyle brands with over 390 points of sale, focusing primarily on fashion and lifestyle products. Its brands include Anello, BergHOFF, Bodum, Bossini, Charles & Keith, Esprit, Joseph Joseph, Radley, Zwilling J.A. Henckels and Minor Smart Kids.

I'm not sure that a boycott by our merry band of brothers (let's admit it - not particularly upmarket) would have much effect on the Heinecke behemoth.

A place I stay at in Bangkok has increased its room charge by 300% since August, so I think they've worked out how to help themselves without this guy's help. And perhaps this billionaire needs to be reminded that everyone, not just the hotel industry, is struggling with 'high inflation and rising costs of raw materials, wages, energy, and fuel prices'.

Heinecke should stick to what he knows. Public Relations is NOT one of them.

EX PAts living here with Thai families for 20 years will be affected as well .'

They already are when going to National parks, museums or even the local zoo.

It's nothing but Pathetic greed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Here is an idea, how about we tax the f#^k out of billionaires so we can put that money towards the industry and other social schemes. 

That'll work,Why not drop a line to Prayuth.It's not as though Thai billionaires have any influence with this administration.