do virtual credit cards exist in Thailand? or setting a daily/monthly limit per card instead of limit per account

As you might know already - Paypal will close your account soon if you are not a Thai citizen https://aseannow.com/topic/1274516-paypal-re-registration-now-requires-thai-national-id-card/

I have a lot of recurring monthly payments made with Paypal and sometimes I make random purchases with Paypal so now I will have to use a credit/debit card instead. And I do not want to use my real cards on every single website for security purposes.

Do I understand correctly that I will have to open a new bank account to get a new card? I have accounts in 3 different banks and neither of them has an option to issue a single-use virtual credit card or to set a spending limit per card instead of per account.

Edited by fdsa

24 minutes ago, digbeth said:

you can get them from Kbank, BBL bank now has them too,

Not sure Kasikorn has them now.

There has been a message for some time (see below)

But I have never seen any news saying you can apply.

Maybe I have missed some thing.

"K Web Shopping Card service has been renamed to
K Online Debit Card. You can continue using the service as usual.
To Apply New Card will be available soon!"

My KPlus app allows me to register my debit/credit cards, then I can set limits on each of them within the app. Single purchase, as well as daily limits. I can also limit the amount that can be transferred from my account, as well as ATM withdrawals.

• Like 2

A while ago I asked Bangkok Bank about getting a credit card, and they told me I could have one with 100,000 available as long as that amount was in my account with them as 'security'. I don't know if that's still the case. And, as usual, it might depend on what policy each branch has.

Of course when you live on a pension and use only cash to buy rice, chicken and beer, you won't ever need Paypal.

However there are some people in our world who still work and who buy some stuff in the Internet.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A while ago I asked Bangkok Bank about getting a credit card, and they told me I could have one with 100,000 available as long as that amount was in my account with them as 'security'. I don't know if that's still the case. And, as usual, it might depend on what policy each branch has.

Is that not the same as using your Bkk Bank Debit (ATM) card?

As said in earlier posts, a CREDIT card is to spend money you DO NOT have. A DEBIT card uses your own money and takes it from your bank account.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:
6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As said in earlier posts, a CREDIT card is to spend money you DO NOT have. A DEBIT card uses your own money and takes it from your bank account.

I guess so. I've never used my BKK card for anything other than the ATM as I have a UK Visa card. I just asked them in case access to my UK Visa card was ended for some reason, similar to the way we aliens are being cut out of PayPal.

The bank didn't say anything about my BKK card actually being a credit (Visa, as requested as it was not their default option), which of course it is. I'll ask them next time I'm getting the letter from them for immigration what my limit is.

It's possible it was only an ATM card and nothing else back when I asked about a credit card. As I wrote, it was a while back. I do know that at the time some banks would only issue a credit card to you if you had a work permit. They gave me the minimum in the account - 100,000 for 100,000 credit - option which seemed sensible.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I guess so. I've never used my BKK card for anything other than the ATM as I have a UK Visa card. I just asked them in case access to my UK Visa card was ended for some reason,

A VISA (or Mastercard or others) can be either a Credit or Debit card.

My Bkk Bank Debit (ATM) card is Visa as are my Nationwide and Barclaycard Credit cards.

The difference is that when I spend on my Bkk Bank card, it is MY money, whereas on the others it is NOT MY money and I must pay it back eventually, with interest

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The difference is that when I spend on my Bkk Bank card, it is MY money, whereas on the others it is NOT MY money and I must pay it back eventually, with interest

I always pay my Visa card when due so never have to pay interest. The only difference between a debit or credit card for me is if I pay now or in a couple of weeks or so.

• Thanks 2

I used the K-Bank virtual debit card for years, mainly for small purchases on Lazada. I liked that you could set your limit to anything including zero to protect yourself from major fraud. The purchase record appeared in the statement of my K-Bank savings account. The service seems to be suspended now pending a relaunch.

The True virtual debit card (MC) is set up to take money from your True wallet so you have to keep topping up the wallet. That's an extra hassle for me. The great advantage of True Wallet is that you can link it to your credit cards so that purchases from 7-11 show up on your monthly bill. But other vendors like Makro and Lazada will reject the transaction unless the amount is present in cash in the wallet. I guess they don't want to pay the 3% commission.

22 hours ago, KannikaP said:

A VISA (or Mastercard or others) can be either a Credit or Debit card.

My Bkk Bank Debit (ATM) card is Visa as are my Nationwide and Barclaycard Credit cards.

One more option, and that is what OP is asking about a virtual card. Mainly for on line shopping. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bokningar said:

Hi

I never used WISE, is it possible to pay from a Thai bank in to a WISE account?

No !   If you have a Wise Borderless Account in GBP, or any other GBP a/c, and a Thai Foreign Currency Account, you could do it only in GBP, and pay 1% for the honour. 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, fdsa said:

I do not want to use my real cards on every single website for security purposes.

Do I understand correctly that I will have to open a new bank account to get a new card? I have accounts in 3 different banks and neither of them has an option to issue a single-use virtual credit card or to set a spending limit per card instead of per account.

Problem solved by opening a 4th bank account and getting another physical card.

</thread>

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, KannikaP said:
On 11/10/2022 at 9:26 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Expand  

Yes, but some merchants/service providers do only accept credit cards

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 11/10/2022 at 6:03 PM, orientalist said:

I used the K-Bank virtual debit card for years, mainly for small purchases on Lazada. I liked that you could set your limit to anything including zero to protect yourself from major fraud. The purchase record appeared in the statement of my K-Bank savings account. The service seems to be suspended now pending a relaunch.

I haven't actually tried to use it for a while but as far as I can tell, existing K online cards should still work. When I look up my online (virtual) card details I see the following message:

Screenshot_2022_1116_121735.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

On 11/11/2022 at 2:12 AM, KannikaP said:

No !   If you have a Wise Borderless Account in GBP, or any other GBP a/c, and a Thai Foreign Currency Account, you could do it only in GBP, and pay 1% for the honour. 

Where do you get 1% from?  There are small flat rate transaction fees yes, but they are very transparent about those.

Edited by shdmn