PM and tourism minister urged to extend pub opening hours and stop "ineffective" 2-5pm booze ban

webfact

On 11/10/2022 at 11:38 AM, ThailandRyan said:

No, they want to be able to sell and buy in the afternoon from 2 to 5 pm which they can not.

and tourism minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakan.

Khemika wants 4 am opening in entertainment zones 

The request is also to allow 2 am opening in restaurants and clubs

I must have misunderstood what was in the OP. 555

7 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Customs and Excise officers do the rounds checking licences as well as checking tax has been paid on the liquor. Any bars found selling booze without the appropriate tax stickers are fined.

Then there is the question why so many unlicensed entertainment venues exist. Recently a raid at a big entertainment venue here in Pattaya - no license for business, liquor and I guess music too. Then the burned down Mountain B entertainment venue. There were many others (big ones) that were in the news that had no license. And the small ones? 

9 minutes ago, wombat said:

Is there an afternoon booze ban?

The law says alcohol cannot be sold anywhere between 2 and 5 p.m. That includes bars, however, for a small fee the police turn a blind eye.

Unless I missed the humour that you are not aware of the afternoons.............????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No, they want to be able to sell and buy in the afternoon from 2 to 5 pm which they can not.

I question if this is BS or not you walk around nana on suk and they start drinking at 10 in the morning straight through to closing 

5 hours ago, Snig27 said:

The government will need to go to their bosses at Boonrawd and Thai Bev as they did when the the people of Thailand asked that the brewing laws be changed. It was the duopoly that made the decision to say no to the people of Thailand and passed on the instruction to Prayut, their servant. Much as they had done when they blocked online sales and had him introduce advertising bans that they could bypass with their water brands. 

I'm not sure what influence the booze monopolies have in government decision making, despite what you and others suggest. Surely they would want to open up the market to longer hours, not hinder them. And what about during the pandemic, when the government banned all alcohol sales for a long period of time, even in restaurants, backed up by police raids.

Restricting small brewers from setting up is another matter entirely, but I just cannot see the major players wanting to restrict hours of selling.

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

But then first they should check the licences of such businesses. I doubt that they pay taxes if they don't have a licence. 

The biggest tax revenue would come from 7-Elevens and the big supermarkets BigC, Lotus etc, that I am sure pay tax. Also chain restaurants in malls. Thousands of them abide by the ban, try to get a beer in Fiji or MK at 3pm, you can't

At the moment, between 2pm and 5pm if you want booze you have to buy from small places, which I agree probably don't pay much tax  

Does not affect bars as mentioned tea money they open

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Customs and Excise officers do the rounds checking licences as well as checking tax has been paid on the liquor. Any bars found selling booze without the appropriate tax stickers are fined.

555 You must be joking.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

2pm to 5pm is an inconvenience if trying to buy at a supermarket, while many bars, restaurants and family shops are open, presumably paying off the police when required. 

As for tourists I would expect their hotels serve alcohol if required, at all times. 

If scrapped, winners are bars, restaurants, supermarkets and family shops, losers would be police and maybe hotels. 

So who has the biggest clout to retain or dismiss this law?

Just as ridiculous having to wait till 11 am to buy alcohol

• Thumbs Up 1