Assimilation with Thai Culture

Non Immigrant

Assimilation with Thai Culture  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Learning the language is a huge barrier (for me)....and I know some on here will start spouting off about how you must (only those that can speak THAI I would hasten to add)....but I have lived in France, Germany and Italy.....was I supposed to learn all those languages as well?

Assimilation to me means not rubbing up anyone the wrong way....it's their culture so go with the flow.

Meet sometimes foreigners who proud tell me they speak almost fluent Thai, or belive they speak fluent thai, but my gf continue to tell me they do not. So I guess as long most believe they do, its good enough for them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to statistics 53% of the thai population speak thai...

% of Thais speaking thai language

To paraphrase Col. Jessup ("A few good men"), I'm an educated man, but I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about the speaking habits of Thais and Foreigners in Thailand...

I work in Thailand and speak, fluently, 3 languages (english, chinese and french) but never bothered to become fluent in thai. Does it hurt in any way ? Not really...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Nonsense!

We are talking about the "Official Thai Language" not one of these dialects..

Im afraid you are wrong, everyone speaks official thai, and most below 60, also write thai. Tv and schools they speak thai without dialect. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

3 years ago, i left Thailand after living and working there for nearly 15 years. I own property and try to return every 6 months to visit my wife and daughter, but i am finding it more and more difficult to return as i no longer enjoy the "sabai sabai- mai pen rai" attitude of the locals.

55 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I think you mean 'integrate', not 'assimilate'.

I think there is a difference.

I feel completely integrated into Thai society, considering the roles I play in their society. (i.e. I fit into their society in key several roles; I ain't a tourist).

However, I certainly don't think I can assimilate with their culture. I am still a farang at heart. ????

Edited by Non Immigrant
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

So the stats and articles are ALL wrong ???

Even, in Bangkok not every Thai is able to speak, write & read "Central Thai Language"

You might met imigrants? Everyone in school learn Thai, but older generations who came from Laos, Mayanmar, China, or other etnic groups, might not learned thai in school, but most speak thai, and maybe reason for the statistics you prevented.