Soaring baht as the Thai economic spirit rises with one of the world’s lowest levels of inflation

webfact

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Er Fact Pound 14/11 42.2  -  31/10 44.1

Errrrr, Yeah I Read Your'e Post the Wrong way around.............But I Did have a VERY Early Morning WAKE Up call at 3am From the NOISY Barking / Howling Dogs that live over the soi from Me.....Plus The Owners are NOT At Home, But Leave them out 24/7    

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

$1000 Invested In This Stock 13 Years Ago Would Be Worth $7,700 Today....how does your house price compare?

Investing is nothing more than a lottery.

As for my house, it would all be about the value of accommodation.

Say for arguments sake take an average of 30K/month over 13 years, about 4.5M.

Current value less build and maintenance about 2.5M.

So a value of about $10,000 per $1000 invested and getting better by the year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Many of the basic items I buy have increased by up to 100% in the past year. Pork, chicken, potatoes, butter. Of course, it doesn't help that well over 80% of the supermarkets are now owned by the same company, which the Monopolies Office declared wasn't a monopoly because - well, you know.

Inflation doesn't affect folks in the same ways. Inflation is measured by a long list of goods and services including food, transportation, housing/rent, medical care, etc. So, of all these items the only ones that affect me are food and gasoline. I choose not to fly anywhere on a vacation so that doesn't affect me. My medical care is free because I go to the VA Hospital since I'm a vet. My rent has actually gone down as I moved back to my home state. The only thing that affected me was food and gasoline but that was partially offset by the lower rent. The gas really doesn't affect me too much as I only drive to the gym and the grocery store. The 8.7% increase in Social Security will be just extra money to save as my overall costs haven't changes too much from last year. 

53 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

nflation doesn't affect folks in the same ways. Inflation is measured by a long list of goods and services including food, transportation, housing/rent, medical care, etc. So, of all these items the only ones that affect me are food and gasoline. I choose not to fly anywhere on a vacation so that doesn't affect me. My medical care is free because I go to the VA Hospital since I'm a vet. My rent has actually gone down as I moved back to my home state. The only thing that affected me was food and gasoline but that was partially offset by the lower rent. The gas really doesn't affect me too much as I only drive to the gym and the grocery store. The 8.7% increase in Social Security will be just extra money to save as my overall costs haven't changes too much from last year. 

This thread is about inflation in Thailand. But. as so often, Americans have to relate everything to the USA even though it is entirely irrelevant. It's an interesting phenomenom.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

This thread is about inflation in Thailand. But. as so often, Americans have to relate everything to the USA even though it is entirely irrelevant. It's an interesting phenomenom.

My point is that inflation only affects a person based on their habits and needs. Lighten up crabby boy. Be accepting of other people's opinions.

I'll be moving to CM early next year. 

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Inflation is Inflation, goods and commodities all rise.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think we all know that. Again, this is about the alleged inflation rate in Thailand, not the USA. There might be a USA forum somewhere to discuss that.

Yet goods which are imported from the US see a double whack now or don't they.

10 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Inflation doesn't affect folks in the same ways. Inflation is measured by a long list of goods and services including food, transportation, housing/rent, medical care, etc. So, of all these items the only ones that affect me are food and gasoline. I choose not to fly anywhere on a vacation so that doesn't affect me. My medical care is free because I go to the VA Hospital since I'm a vet. My rent has actually gone down as I moved back to my home state. The only thing that affected me was food and gasoline but that was partially offset by the lower rent. The gas really doesn't affect me too much as I only drive to the gym and the grocery store. The 8.7% increase in Social Security will be just extra money to save as my overall costs haven't changes too much from last year. 

Think you have a very insular view.

Maybe your one is also bigger than most?????????

Just now, Lucky Bones said:

Think you have a very insular view.

Maybe your one is also bigger than most?????????

Unfortunate comment. My perspective is accurate. Not everyone is affected by inflation is the same way. Depends on your lifestyle and where/how you spend your money. If you have a large garden or farm you are less impacted by increasing costs of groceries. You are entitled you your tainted opinion tho.

On 11/14/2022 at 5:58 AM, smedly said:

they just tell lies

at some point "soon" the lies will be exposed and it will all come tumbling down..........I am a firm believer in history repeating because we just never learn lessons and never change.........I will predict what happens next unless they get bailed out at serious cost - Thailand will default on its loans ...............unless they get bailed out - from that time they are owned

It's always been a mystery to me where these loans actually come from.

OK, so there is the IMF, but the other money lenders are more obscure. And where do they get money from?

Has Thailand issued bonds?

22 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I dont know !, it all seems a bit " artificial "

With only 34 % of the huge Thai household debt of over 90 % of GDP, attributed to property Loans , and the remaining 66 % assigned to Credit Card, Personal and Vehicle loans, the country is heading toward a massive default of some kind.

Further to my post of Yesterday.

Maybe , just maybe, the onus is now being placed upon the Banks to sell Houses to those that already cannot really afford to own one, in order to swing the 34 % of secure Loan figure against Property higher, and reduce the 66 % of unsecured Loans .

To be really cynical, maybe the outstanding Debts of these people have been placed under Debt Management, and linked to their Mortgage repayments IE payback over X number of Years .

Houses now being sold with 99 Baht deposit , and 35 or 40 Year paybacks on a 2.5 M Loan are now not uncommon.

So when a consumer owns a property, they then have the Security for additional Loans - right ?

What could possibly go wrong with a strategy such as this ?, when buyers will struggle to even meet their Mortgage payments.

I really hope this is not the situation, but it would suit the Gov,t strategy nicely

On 11/14/2022 at 11:45 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

Errrrr, Yeah I Read Your'e Post the Wrong way around.............But I Did have a VERY Early Morning WAKE Up call at 3am From the NOISY Barking / Howling Dogs that live over the soi from Me.....Plus The Owners are NOT At Home, But Leave them out 24/7    

same here 5 am dogs howling ..owners not there ..welcome to Los eh !!