Sales of Pon Yang Kham beef spike after being served at APEC Summit

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-11-18T201658.958.png

Pon Yang Kham beef, from breeding cooperatives in Thailand’s Sakhon Nakhon province, is selling well after it was selected for a dish served to APEC leaders at a gala dinner last night at the Royal Thai Navy Convention Hall.

Sakhon Nakhon Governor Jureerat Thep-art said she expects sales of the beef might surpass one billion baht this year.

Chumpol Jangprai, an executive chef at R-Haan, a two Michelin star restaurant, chose the shank cut of Pon Yang Kham beef to make Massaman curry, one of the main courses served at the gala dinner last night.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/sales-of-pon-yang-kham-beef-spike-after-being-served-at-apec-summit/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Tried thai beef once and never again.  It's disgusting totally unchewable stuff.  I fully understand why Thais don't eat beef.

Most Thais don't eat beef for religious reasons. 

I have had a number of really good beef dishes here especially the soups. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

Most Thais don't eat beef for religious reasons. 

I have had a number of really good beef dishes here especially the soups. 

My GF doesn't eat beef, so it is never served Chez Moi.  Where in Thai Buddhist creed does it forbid beef?

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

I wouldn't touch Thai beef with a flagpole 

I expect that the quality of beef they served the world "leaders" is light years beyond what you've ever tasted. I'd be very happy to try K. Jangprai's massaman curry if I could afford it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Tried thai beef once and never again.  It's disgusting totally unchewable stuff.  I fully understand why Thais don't eat beef.

Dudes who run 2 Michelin star restaurants and are cooking for VIPs generally use a higher quality of beef than it sounds like you can afford ????

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Thechook said:

Rubbish, my Thai son is quite a beef connoisseur, and he cooks a mean steak.

He buys imported beef (mostly from Australia) and good Thai beef, (all mostly bought from  Rimping in Chiang Mai).

He's served Thai steaks to farang friends several times and there's been many compliments about the quality of the beef and his cooking.

At home we stick with Thai beef, it's great eating and quite a bit less in price. 

• Like 1

Thai-french beef in Bangkok and up country is what most cheaper restaurants use and is middle class and certainly not premium beef.  It's chewy, tasteless and very low quality, and as a cattle farmer ... would spit it out as rubbish.  Thailand does import Aberdeen angus beef from Argentina which is premium good quality beef as well as Hereford beef steak from Australia which is high quality beef.

If you pay 300 baht for beef your will get thai-french rubbish .....   If you pay 500-1500 baht you will get premium good quality beef steak.

Edited by steven100

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

My GF doesn't eat beef, so it is never served Chez Moi.  Where in Thai Buddhist creed does it forbid beef?

I don't believe it is.... but not eating beef seems commonplace. My Mrs also does not eat lamb, duck, shellfish, offal.....(yet will eat laab moo which has various bits and pieces). 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:05 PM, Thechook said:

if you dont undertstand about beef or dont want spend the money, you may right.

just look at the pic , the meat is  already in colour and structure diffrent to the kind of meat you buy on the "market" ,whats even to fresh. 

if you do a steak  from fresh beef from local market , its bad,not worth. and as private person you dont have the ability to hang it.

but , there   are places where you can buy good beef. i buy only tenderloin ,is i not aware of the highest quality. but i prefer chunk,rump or siroin , but i buy it only if the optical meets my requierment: like  darkbrown outside and the meat  have a texture  have a lot of of strains from fat . in any case i avoid fresh red meat,what most consumers like to buy.

it is not always neccesary to buy imported beef , diffrent qualitys in thai ( even they same a little more expensive) or a good understanding of beef ,makes it unneccasary

As a ex butcher I've got to say I really haven't had a good steak in Thailand for 5years   I guess I was spoiled having my own shop and picked out only the best  but Brahman and cross breeds make good jerky that's about it

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:59 AM, mikebell said:

My mrs also does not eat beef, I asked her why & she said she doesn't like the taste, no other reason, doesn't stop her for cooking a mean steak for me though. ????

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 1:53 AM, still kicking said:

I wouldn't touch Thai beef with a flagpole 

Why not?

And which country's beef do you like and why?

For me there was a time when I didn't consider Thai beef for steak.

I have not much idea about meet in general. Next time my gf wanted to make beef stew I ask at the counter in Foodland which beef they recommend for that. They told me ribeye, and that is what I bought (maybe 400B per kg). And after doing that a few time my gf suggested we should try to use that Thai ribeye meet for steaks. So we tried. I was surprised how good it was. Now we eat Thai ribeye steak regularly. It's good and not expensive.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thai-french beef in Bangkok and up country is what most cheaper restaurants use and is middle class and certainly not premium beef.  It's chewy, tasteless and very low quality, and as a cattle farmer ... would spit it out as rubbish.  Thailand does import Aberdeen angus beef from Argentina which is premium good quality beef as well as Hereford beef steak from Australia which is high quality beef.

If you pay 300 baht for beef your will get thai-french rubbish .....   If you pay 500-1500 baht you will get premium good quality beef steak.

Don't agree, Thai French is quite good, I love a good steak, happy to eat Thai French.

On 11/19/2022 at 8:59 AM, mikebell said:

It doesn't forbid it. A number of my Thai mates do not eat it and whenever I have asked why they reply they have given up beef for a religious vow / wish / merit kinda thing.  Cows and beef seem to be frequent benefactors of this ritual. 

• Haha 1