Long jail terms promised as RTP chief does PM's bidding going after World Cup gamblers in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The fiasco of showing this tainted world cup on free to air TV defies logic.

Gambling is illegal.

Millions of Thais watching world cup matches will gamble on them.

Gambling would be drastically reduced if the matches were not shown.

I'm sure they were gambling on whether matches would be shown or not...

• Like 1

You will never drive out gambling....the illegal bookies are all over Thailand whether it's within the creaking Government Lottery or Muay Thai or indeed the World Cup.Far better to regulate and tax accordingly and let folk spend their money and have their fun how they wish.SE Asia is the world's gambling hub and Thailand cannot shore up their insular and medieval ideas...you can't stop it....so embrace it and cut out the organised crime

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

For once, it'll be a lot easier to publish what IS ALLOWED to partake in Thailand than coming up everyday what what is not allowed to which lengthy jail terms awaits the offenders...

Correct. Basically, almost everything is illegal but at the same time almost nothing is enforced. Most of the people can get away with most of the things most of the time. I suppose it's a system of sorts.

1 hour ago, w94005m said:

How about the novel idea of legal controlled gambling?  In UK Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs collected £2.9 billion in gaming-related duty in the 2017-18 fiscal year alone

Too logical. These tuk tuk scammers pinch 300 to 1000 baht a day. How is a 300 baht bet on football worth 5 years jail?

Leave the Gamblers alone; let them have their flutter! Let them free to lose if they want to! What is the great problem? They are going to bet whether you go after them or not! You will be telling them next they aren't allowed alcohol while watching the football!

Make the World Cup the exception, only every 4 years!

The 2010 world cost me 100,000B when my travel agent scammed me to either place a bet or to pay off her debt for earlier losses.
Victims of such actions extend well beyond the gambling individual and their families. You won’t stop it but be very wary of where you park any large sum of money during this time of World Cup football.  

When will the irony and hypocrisy hit these numbskulls. I see thousands of Baht pass hands every week for the Thai Lottery, which no matter how the Government tries to rename it, is GAMBLING. 

There is only one reason for this latest draconian law in the Hub of draconian laws. That is to help the BIB replenish funds lost during the Covid idiocy.