Agent discount for legit extension?

1 minute ago, Alain Folly said:

Complication here because I really enjoy slow traveling mainly between Bkk an Chonburi (satthahip now)

Whereabouts would you like to get your extension? It's no good someone recommending an agent in Bangkok if you want an extension in Pattaya.

3 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Whereabouts would you like to get your extension? It's no good someone recommending an agent in Bangkok if you want an extension in Pattaya.

Let's say I'll be using Jomtien immigration office as home base. That's very possible, and a recommendation there would be very appreciated.  But my next renewal is 10 months away ..

At the heart of my question is the touchy business of bribes and fake bank balances (still perhaps legal because the IO has some ultimate authority, as I've read 100 times).

There is presumably a premium paid for that "workaround" service, SO I'm eager to pay for the convenience LESS that premium...

13 minutes ago, proton said:

why pay an agent for a legit extension that takes a few minutes and costs 1.900 baht?

Like I said, I know this comment well having read it many times. 

I'm jealous of you my brother!  My last extension was two trips for a combined door to door wall clock total of 14 hours.  6 cabs refused the SRT lak si to/from CW (they reportedly want that big mo chit money), and the officer accused me cheating on the PREVIOUS extension (I which I did not, so the weekend spent plotting my bank account sums against the oscillating 800/400 minimum.... Over 2 years)

Oh but I stray off topic, forgive me.

Edited by Alain Folly
typos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alain Folly said:

Like I said, I know this comment well having read it many times. 

I'm jealous of you my brother!  My last extension was two trips for a combined door to door wall clock total of 14 hours.  6 cabs refused the SRT lak si to/from CW (they reportedly want that big mo chit money), and the officer accused me cheating on the PREVIOUS extension (I which I did not, so the weekend spent plotting my bank account sums against the oscillating 800/400 minimum.... Over 2 years)

Oh but I stray off topic, forgive me.

Stay in a hotel near the office then, cheaper than an agent, you have either been unlucky, look odd or annoyed people. How can you be 14 hours away from CW round trip in Bkk? I used to leave at 6am got back about 3pm and that was as far as possible from CW

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

why pay an agent when...

nah just kidding. yes it should be cheaper for an agent to provide the "non-workaround" extension service.

Maneerat on Soi Post in Pattaya have a very good reputation and quite reasonable prices for the "full Monty" (12.5k-14k) but I don't know what their discount is for a non-workaround extension.

https://m.facebook.com/maneerat.fon.0818630320/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

two friend of mine in phuket just cant stand going to Immigration as once both had problems years ago, both have the 800,000 in the bank

Both use an agent every year for a LONG time 8,000/year

If you can't negotiate the inconsistencies and the odd frustration of an immigration office you really have no chance living here long term. First time I tried to get an extension I was told the office did not really do them and to get one in Bkk, though I lived in Samut Prakan and was at the right place, the officer hated foreigners, as I found out on here. Persistence and patience is what you need, not wasting 8k on having your hand held. 

Using an agent doesn't necessarily lock you in. I got a retirement extension from an agent in a different province, and then the following year I did it myself in our home province. No questions asked, went smoothly. Your mileage may vary..

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

don't know why so many are set against agents,
why use a tax accountant?
Why use a auto mechanic?

why use a bricklayer

There you tube videos on all of the above

if you have the $$$ why bother with things that upset you?  Life is short

to do my taxes which at one point were quite complicated... 

to change my oil and I don't get greasy

to lay my bricks - [as I prefer women] 

And, as I was always better off using my time to make money... 

I agree w/you 100% - - 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have the money in the bank and I use an agent because I am tired of filling out forms. It's not difficult as I did it for years w/o an agent as I lived in a Province w/few farang and no agents. 

Now, I get the bank letter and the agent does the rest other than 5 minutes in their office where they flip the pages and say sign here. - they make the appointment at Imm and I meet them there. I am out in less than five minutes as the agent has done all the paperwork properly. I smile for the photo and leave w/my visa... 

They charge about 5,000 baht for the VIP service - it is legal. That is their fee and I would not think to ask for a discount? They don't do illegal visas there. 

I'd like to do the same, but to my knowledge there are no such agents in Chiang Rai / Mae Sai who do it properly at the right office. It was easy enough to do the one time I've done it, but it does take a few hours.

The location you do your extension in is key. Used to use an agent in Phuket when I lived there, as it took so long and was a hassle.

Did mine yesterday in Krabi - in and out in 18 minutes without an agent. Took me longer to get the form from the bank who, despite my showing them a copy of the form they gave me last year at that branch, did not know how to fill in the form and had to phone Head Office.

As for doing the paperwork it is simple.

Copy of relevant passport pages every page signed.

2 photos.

Bank letter.

TM7 form filled in and signed.

Hand drawn map of residence location.

Photos of me in front of house (use the same ones every year).

5K is the standard rate here for a clean extension, all the agents know each other as they meet every day so don't look likely to give a reduction.

5K for what takes me less than an hour (time to prepare papers and time at Immigration)

I'll keep the money!

37 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I'd like to do the same, but to my knowledge there are no such agents in Chiang Rai / Mae Sai who do it properly at the right office. It was easy enough to do the one time I've done it, but it does take a few hours.

Yes, and I am sure that part of the reason it goes so easily is that Imm knows the agent and sees them everyday and knows that all forms are filled out properly... 

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes, and I am sure that part of the reason it goes so easily is that Imm knows the agent and sees them everyday and knows that all forms are filled out properly... 

I meant easy enough to do myself, but it takes several hours. I'd rather pay an agent the 5k but there are none in my area. 

You aren't locked in to an agent  if you follow the  financial  rules in full and can prove it.  I use the monthly FTT as evidence but my agent only wants to see my bankbook- no discount  offered.  With mobility problems I just can't manage the trips to the bank with covid queuing in the sun outside plus covid queuing outside and then inside Immigration exposing me to infection and considerable discomfort. With my agent I don't even have to go anywhere  near Immigration!

Edited by chilly07
  • Like 1