Thailand Elite: Which Plan?

8 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I was going to apply for one until they told me after you pay your money, even if the visa is refused, you get nothing back. No way would I go for that. Maybe they have changed but I doubt it.

The order is apply -> approval -> pay -> enter

In theory, Immigration could find a reason to deny you entry (as they could, in theory, with an O-X visa or Smart visa) but the chances are tiny, and would imply that Immigration has found something serious in your immigration history (perhaps, when you were using a different passport).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In theory, Immigration could find a reason to deny you entry (as they could, in theory, with an O-X visa or Smart visa) but the chances are tiny, and would imply that Immigration has found something serious in your immigration history (perhaps, when you were using a different passport).

if you have a criminal past (even if the initial verification cleared you), and you changed passport or bought a new passport from a different country and then trying to enter Thailand and immigration catches you, they could deny entry and you could lose money. If you're in doubt about your criminal past (????), you can enter Thailand using the same passport that  you intend to use for elite, enter Thailand using visa exempt (if possible) or on a Tourist visa, and then pay elite the money and get your visa affixed in Bangkok immigration. 

29 minutes ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

With depressing predictability the unofficial site gives you 1,000,000 times more information,regarding the different visa choices and pricing than the official government site TiT! ????

Did you read https://www.thailandelite.com/membership/? That seems to contain the most important information.

6 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Somewhat of topic (delete if I'm overreaching): 

Is there a website/marketplace that have many ads of Thai Elite for sell? (2nd hand). 

There are only a tiny number of transferable memberships that are potentially available. When those holding such memberships have indicated that they are open to offers, they have received offers that are totally inadequate. There is simply no incentive for anyone to try to setup a marketplace for something that, at best, might result in one or two transactions per year.

A 2nd hand transferrable membership will cost you more than the cheapest non transferable new memberships ... if you can find anyone potentially willing to sell their transferable one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Somebody gave you incorrect info. You do not have to pay for it until it is approved.

Joe is correct 100%. I have an Elite and NO ONE pays, NO ONE, until the application for the Visa is fully approved and comfirmed for issuance by Thai Immigration Office (TIO).

When you arrive in BKK (stamps are placed in your passport to coincide with and show you have an Elite version of a retirement visa). 

NOTE: Use ONLY the link Joe gave you to make your application ... should you decide to apply. The other is NOT correct.

It may have changed in duration of wait for an IO response of yay or nay to Elite about your application. Mine took about 4 - 5 weeks (I was in Aussie).

Elite will contact you and give you the news.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

I'm below 40 and I see myself traveling to Thailand the next 5-10 years. I'm not looking for any other benefits than a visa to stay in the country for a minimum 1 year at a time. 

Lots of options. Which one would you recommend? 

As the rules stand today you can pay 600K for the 5 year Visa and at some point in the future pay the extra 400K to upgrade it to the 1Million 20 year Visa. 

This will allow you to take advantage of the perks that come with the 5 year visa (Airport transfers etc...) for the 1st 5 years BUT you will need to keep an eye on any changes to the rules incase this option disappears at some point in the future. 

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% no need for an agent at all.....

Thai Elite deal with everything already....  why add a middle-man ?????

Because adding a middle man costs nothing and may get you approved where going direct wouldn't.  A decent agent will trawl through your social media posts to look for any red flags before TPC Co. do and tell you what needs removing, if anything.

5 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

That was the main office

As others have said the payment is not required until the Elite visa application has been approved.

Maybe the person you talked to did not really know what the requirements are.

6 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

As the rules stand today you can pay 600K for the 5 year Visa and at some point in the future pay the extra 400K to upgrade it to the 1Million 20 year Visa. 

This will allow you to take advantage of the perks that come with the 5 year visa (Airport transfers etc...) for the 1st 5 years BUT you will need to keep an eye on any changes to the rules incase this option disappears at some point in the future. 

That's a good recommendation, actually. I didn't see the upgrade availability. 

Have to admit, 600k is not out of the question for 5 years peace of mind.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

What's the history of ThailandElite drastically changing the rules? Why I'm asking: I'm pretty close to the decision to buy "Elite Easy Access Membership" (5y) for 600k which gives me the right, but not the obligation, to upgrade to a "Elite Superiority Extension Membership" (20y) for 400k within 5 years. 

Would it be naive to me to assume that if I buy the first mentioned card, that the rules will stay "for me" for my 5 years (even though, perhaps, the main rules are changed for new buyers)

Happy to hear your thoughts (and yes, we can't know - that goes without saying) 

21 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Happy to hear your thoughts

Perhaps you mentioned your age in thread? 

Think that's significant.

I see now in OP, under 40.

The 20 year option would be excellent.

Guess depends if it's affordable for you.

You are very young.

Clearly you must feel that Thailand is home for you

Edited by DrJack54

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps you mentioned your age in thread? 

Think that's significant.

I see now in OP, under 40.

The 20 year option would be excellent.

Guess depends if it's affordable for you.

You are very young.

Clearly you must feel that Thailand is home for you

Thanks Jack! 

My main concern is that, I buy this Elite Card now - which gives me the ability to upgrade another 15y for 400k - and they rack up the price to 800k next year (or so). 

I mailed ThailandElite and asked them if the rules are fixed as per purchasee. 

11 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I mailed ThailandElite and asked them if the rules are fixed as per purchase.

Think we can predict the reply.

As Oz folk say..."no worries mate" .....will be the answer.

You stated this ....

"(and yes, we can't know - that goes without saying)" 

Your example of changing cost of option up to 800k  is a good one.

Not a good comparison but when they introduced the insurance requirement for non O-A extensions they made it retrospective, so I don't trust much in this lovely country. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

What's the history of ThailandElite drastically changing the rules? Why I'm asking: I'm pretty close to the decision to buy "Elite Easy Access Membership" (5y) for 600k which gives me the right, but not the obligation, to upgrade to a "Elite Superiority Extension Membership" (20y) for 400k within 5 years. 

Would it be naive to me to assume that if I buy the first mentioned card, that the rules will stay "for me" for my 5 years (even though, perhaps, the main rules are changed for new buyers)

Happy to hear your thoughts (and yes, we can't know - that goes without saying) 

That is a very good question. Thailand Elite memberships have seen big changes over the years. Your concern about whether the upgrade to a 20-year Thailand Elite will always remain (or even whether the million baht 20-year option will still exist) is well founded. I do not think you should rely on it unless Thailand Elite will confirm in writing that this option will remain available to you for five years. For that reason, going immediately for the 20-year membership might be prudent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thanks Jack! 

My main concern is that, I buy this Elite Card now - which gives me the ability to upgrade another 15y for 400k - and they rack up the price to 800k next year (or so). 

I mailed ThailandElite and asked them if the rules are fixed as per purchasee. 

Thats a valid concern. 

With regards to any existing contract held (existing membership) the terms cannot be changed, but there may be wiggle room for some items.. (i.e. perks changing which you are not interested in).

i.e. Originally life long membership involved BMW 7 Series on transfers, they down graded to Camry (not a big deal, but the change was somewhat irritating, I think the newer 20 year with full Perks 2MB gets the 7 series)

Also, a number of the massage and golf courses changed, but they renew with others... 

Again, none of that bothers you if you go for a ‘non-perks’ option, but it highlights how some of the details can change. 

With regards to the ‘upgrade for 400k baht’ unless they lock that very tightly into the contract, then there is always scope for them to bump up the up-grade-price...   Thats a very good point to get locked into writing...   that said, I’d want a ‘firm’ signed document highlighting they would honour the original price of upgrade if you were to take membership. 

• Like 1