Senate passes bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriage in landmark vote

Scott

image.png

Washington CNN  — 

The Senate on Tuesday passed legislation to protect same-sex and interracial marriage, called the Respect for Marriage Act, in a landmark bipartisan vote.

The final vote was 61-36. The bill was supported by all members of the Democratic caucus and 12 Republicans, the same dozen GOP members who backed the bill for a procedural vote earlier this month.

The House will now need to approve the legislation before sending it to President Joe Biden’s desk to be signed into law.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/29/politics/same-sex-marriage-vote-senate/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Bigots

Perhaps. Or perhaps they believe in the Constitution, which many feel gives regulating marriage to the individual states. 

In any case, this is a big waste of time.  The court isnt going to overturn either gay marriage or inter-racial marriage.    Just a bit of virtue signalling on the part of the politicans involved.  They have far more pressing issues to deal but are studiously avoiding them. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We won’t have to put up with Republicans telling us the Democrats failed to protect the right to marry whoever you wish.

So yes, well done Joe Biden, the Democrats and the 47 Republicans who put protecting people’s rights above Party politics and religious zealotry.

In particular before the 'Supreme Court' gets its grubby claws on them. As they have already hinted darkly and strongly.

Haters gonna hate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let’s distinguish between two different things. 

‘Court Docket’ and ‘Agenda’

Equality of marriage rights are not currently on the ‘Court Docket’ but removing equality marriage rights is absolutely on the ‘Agenda’ of the extreme rightwing religious zealots that are driving much of Republican policies these days.

I’ll remind you ‘Roe v Wade’ was in the words of a SCOTUS appointee, ‘settled case law’, until she got the opportunity to ‘un-settle it’.

I think you are being a bit hysterical about an issue that really isnt important to the vast majority of Americans.  Support for same sex marriage has been climbing steadily and is now over 70%  As for interracial marriage, well over 90%. These are not nearly as contentious as abortion on a purely practical level. 

Who exactly is against them?  "Extreme right wing religious zealots" just doesn't cut it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

I think you are being a bit hysterical about an issue that really isnt important to the vast majority of Americans.  Support for same sex marriage has been climbing steadily and is now over 70%  As for interracial marriage, well over 90%. These are not nearly as contentious as abortion on a purely practical level. 

Who exactly is against them?  "Extreme right wing religious zealots" just doesn't cut it.  

I’m not being ‘hysterical’ at all, I’m delighted this vote has past with a measure of bipartisan support.

It appears to me however, it’s you that is offended by the news

——

The vast majority of Americans support the right of women to hold dominion over their own bodies, but that doesn’t stop extreme rightwing religious zealots doing everything they can to remove that right.

I mean when was the last time the GOP represented even a minor majority of Americans?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not being ‘hysterical’ at all, I’m delighted this vote has past with a measure of bipartisan support.

It appears to me however, it’s you that is offended by the news

——

The vast majority of Americans support the right of women to hold dominion over their own bodies, but that doesn’t stop extreme rightwing religious zealots doing everything they can to remove that right.

I mean when was the last time the GOP represented even a minor majority of Americans?

Again you are speaking in platitudes: "the right of women to hold dominion over their own bodies"... generally the side that uses the most euphemisms is the one that has the most to hide. If you mean "abortion", then just say "abortion". It makes the discussion a lot easier.  

But then again that would require some precision.  Many  Americans DO favor some form of availability for women to have abortions, but where they draw the line is a bit more difficult to suss out. Few favor it after viability for example. Most favor it in the first trimester. Some would restrict it to emergencies only (rape, incest, physical danger to the mother). It helps if you speak more plainly and clearly. 

10 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Again you are speaking in platitudes: "the right of women to hold dominion over their own bodies"... generally the side that uses the most euphemisms is the one that has the most to hide. If you mean "abortion", then just say "abortion". It makes the discussion a lot easier.  

But then again that would require some precision.  Many  Americans DO favor some form of availability for women to have abortions, but where they draw the line is a bit more difficult to suss out. Few favor it after viability for example. Most favor it in the first trimester. Some would restrict it to emergencies only (rape, incest, physical danger to the mother). It helps if you speak more plainly and clearly. 

I don’t need to say ‘Abortion’ when I mean ‘Dominion over their own bodies’ of which ‘Abortion’ is only one sub issue.

In the spirit of speaking more plainly, why don’t you mention the vociferous many within the rightwing who want to ban abortion completely, including in cases of rape, incest and when a woman’s life is endangered by a continuing pregnancy?

Just let women enjoy the same dominion over their own bodies as men enjoy - keeping Government out of the lives of citizens and all that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t need to say ‘Abortion’ when I mean ‘Dominion over their own bodies’ of which ‘Abortion’ is only one sub issue.

In the spirit of speaking more plainly, why don’t you mention the vociferous many within the rightwing who want to ban abortion completely, including in cases of rape, incest and when a woman’s life is endangered by a continuing pregnancy?

Just let women enjoy the same dominion over their own bodies as men enjoy - keeping Government out of the lives of citizens and all that.

At risk of derailing the topic, the number of people who want a total abortion ban (including rape etc) is very small- something like 10% of the population. So hardly a "vociferous many".  It is a similar number to the issues mentioned in this discussion, as I wrote above. Speaking personally, I consider them all to be morons.

Just curious. What other "dominion" issues are there, other than abortion, for women?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really? Why wouldn't the court overturn the right to gay marriage? Gay marriage was decided by a five to four vote. The one conservative Justice who supported that, Anthony Kennedy, has now retired. There are three far more conservative judges now on the court. They have shown no reluctance to overturn other major presidents. Why not this one? Especially given that it's so recent. What does it even mean to say they have far more pressing issues?

Well, first a case needs to be brought relating to it. Is there one in the pipeline at any level?  The court can't just make a ruling without a case to refer to.  Plus, as I said, there isn't the public support or even interest in re-litigating gay marriage.  Even such a right wing ogre like Ted Cruz doesn't think it will be threatened.

• Like 1