Old men drinking a beer at breakfast time in bars along beach road pattaya.

jack71

20 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

I don't begrudge anybody having a beer at any time of the day or night. 

But what is it with the dudes who buy a beer at 6am from the 7/11 and drink it sitting on the steps, wearing short-shorts with no underwear, and their tackle poking out?

Side Note - who's responsible for the Scandinavians and Russians not getting the memo circa 1985 that short-shorts and budgie smugglers (Speedos) ceased to be de riguer unless you were running a marathon or swimming in the Olympics?

7-11 doesn't sell beer at 0600

• Thumbs Up 1

I was never a morning drinker, but I did get in the habit of starting drinking with my mates @ 1pm every day. I stopped doing this thinking that it affected my sleep at night time. I would go to bed drunk at 7-8pm, and then be wide awake and stone-cold sober at midnight.

Drinking in Thailand. If you're retired, and have nothing to do every day, what else is there?

As an old teetotal (because he was epileptic) friend used to say, it's a slippery-slope that's very easy to get on!

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am now down to one glass of wine and one Sangsom and diet Coke once a week.

That Diet Coke stuff is really bad for you, especially once a week.   

At what time, on which day does this terrible act occur?     555

Edited by KannikaP

31 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I was never a morning drinker, but I did get in the habit of starting drinking with my mates @ 1pm every day. I stopped doing this thinking that it affected my sleep at night time. I would go to bed drunk at 7-8pm, and then be wide awake and stone-cold sober at midnight.

Drinking in Thailand. If you're retired, and have nothing to do every day, what else is there?

As an old teetotal (because he was epileptic) friend used to say, it's a slippery-slope that's very easy to get on!

Seems like if you are a social being and no sane hobbies or nothing special to wake up in the morning to do, or nothing you have to do, alcohol is an easy friend finder everywhere you go.

Thats why I decided to live here like waking up for work every day, and have things to do, even I like to do it or not, need to do it or have to do it, I do it to keep a normal daily routine, and have weekends and holidays when suited from the daily life. But I guess thats a long shot for most after a long life working and finely retired. I semi retired 50 years old.

Edited by Hummin

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That Diet Coke stuff is really bad for you, especially once a week.   

At what time, on which day does this terrible act occur?     555

A beer or a coke or any sugar no sugar pops in the morning is same same. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hummin said:

Seems like if you are a social being and no sane hobbies or nothing special to wake up in the morning to do, or nothing you have to do, alcohol is an easy friend finder everywhere you go.

Thats why I decided to live here like waking up for work every day, and have things to do, even I like to do it, need to do it or have to do it, I do it to keep a normal daily routine, and have weekends and holidays when suited from the daily life. But I guess thats a long shot for most after a long life working and finely retired. I semi retired 50 years old.

You're right, I don't really have any hobbies (now working back in the UK). During 17 hours every day you soon run out of books and TV,  but that's the same wherever you are in the world!

Great that, despite Thailand's shortcomings, we live in a place that allows and encourages people to make their own choices and 'live a little' if they want to. For some, this means having a beer at 8:30am. Good on yer.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Frühschoppen (pronounced [fʁyːʃɔpən], meaning: an alcoholic drink before midday in company) is the German and Austrian tradition of meeting up at a pub, inn or tavern in the late morning, usually on Sundays. The specific customs vary from region to region. Frühschoppen is often a kind of brunch, but does not necessarily involve food. Frühschoppen is also often held at fun fairs, the most famous being Oktoberfest or Cannstatter Volksfest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frühschoppen

photo-17.jpg

Let me guess you're the one with the braces?

10 hours ago, jack71 said:

At most of the bars, there was one old guy drinking a beer. I was a bit shocked to see this. 

You shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Many years ago i would have been one of the old guys. The girl I was seeing had to come and open the bar so I would grab a beer, relatively cheaper than a soft drink.

After the one I would go get a paper and sit in the Apex for a couple of hours.

10 hours ago, jack71 said:

I woke up at 8am and decided to go for a walk/ run down beach road. At most of the bars, there was one old guy drinking a beer. I was a bit shocked to see this. 

Oh Sir! Please sit down before reading what I am going to tell you now. You know, I took one for breakfast 07.45 today. The worst thing of all, is that I am not even considered to be old! Hope I didn´t cause you any harm now. Getting into shock is a dangerous condition. 

My God. You'll be shocked, SHOCKED to learn that many places in the US offer such debauchery in the morning hours during breakfast and brunch, called the BOTTOMLESS MIMOSA! All you can drink, orange juice and champagne.

Older, 40-50's "cougars" often enjoy such events. They can get quite tipsy. They've been wondering what direction their lives have headed in, and have been looking for some excitement. Mmm yes. As a strapping young lad, I didn't need to come all the way to Thailand to find it. ????

images - 2022-12-07T085540.396.jpeg

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I have always wanted to have a beer at breakfast. Will try that one day, but not every day. ????

I advice having cold pizza(night before) and a beer for breakfast.

It really is good.

It's one of signs of a real addiction, doing your drug first thing in the morning. When you see a doctor in order to quit smoking, one of the main question he asks the patient is "do you light up right after getting up?".

I'm somewhat opposite to these Pattaya old guys.

When young, a drink was for whenever convenient and desired. If heading offshore for a day's fishing it was normal to crack the first tinny when clearing Fremantle heads at 6 am.  Camping, or a road trip, required more than a few thirst quenchers whatever the time.

We had a period when Sunday mornings meant heading to the big room at The Raffles for a, mainly liquid, brunch served by topless waitresses while entertained by strippers and Kevn "Bloody" Wilson on stage. The worst part was staggering out into the bright heat of the day in early afternoon! 

Now in my 70s the damaged kidneys mean I'm almost teetotal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1