Old men drinking a beer at breakfast time in bars along beach road pattaya.

jack71

I sometimes enjoy an early morning beer. Normally on Sundays when the boxing from the US is on, the Saturday night show in the US tends to start about 8am here in Thailand so I might go to the pub early and have a few beers and some food.

Then, when people like the OP are out drinking in the evening I'll be sobered up and doing something else, waking up fresh the next day without a hangover.

I suggest the OP minds his own business and leaves people to live their lives as they see fit. 

10 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Used to be a panel discussion show on German TV and radio years ago called Frühschoppen. A group of journalists would discuss issues of the day. I think they were served drinks during the discussion.

They started it in 1952 on the radio.

For the record: I wasn't around at that time, I just looked it up.

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/70-jahre-internationaler-fruehschoppen-100.html

1920x1080.jpg?t=1641423600043

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Why does it matter if someone has a beer at 8 a.m. or at lunch? It's what makes them happy, and they aren't harming you or anyone else. 

These guys that you talk about are simply having a beer so leave them to live their life the way they want. No judgment please. 

They are just waiting for the immigration police checks..... might as well enjoy the waiting.

• Haha 1

hmmm.. i suggest this post in itself may indicate a loss of control due to judgmental hypercriticality. Never mind an older person savoring a cool beer on a typically balmy morning in Pattaya, he has earned it, something the criticizer seems to know little about, common in hypocrisy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Thai wagon drivers often stop at a roadside Mom and Pop shop for a slug of white whisky in the early mornings and they are driving 16 wheeled, 15 tonne vehicles and above!

What about all  those drinking in airport lounges at all times of the day or on the planes, with the excuse being ' My holiday has begun '  or it's ' 5.30pm somewhere in the world '

There are others that prefer the mornings and early afternoon drinking as they don't like or feel afraid of being out at night time when they are getting older, you can't blame them, with some of the horror stories we hear and see in Thailand and what happens in the small hours.

You can go in Wetherspoons pub any day of the week in the UK, and see plenty of tables full with older guys drinking beer at 9am. Some are retirees, some are bums, some are alcoholics.

In Germany and Austria and the Netherlands etc, its also a common sight.

To the OP, you shouldn't be so judgemental, the old guy might be lonely, bored in his room or condo or may just like morning drinking.

Either way, he's not hurting you.

No he isn't, just as long as he is not jumping on a motorbike or car after he is finished.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

You shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Many years ago i would have been one of the old guys. The girl I was seeing had to come and open the bar so I would grab a beer, relatively cheaper than a soft drink.

After the one I would go get a paper and sit in the Apex for a couple of hours.

If you were an old guy many years ago, you must be about ready to get a telegram from old King Charlie. That's if you are from the UK. ????

15 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Why does it matter if someone has a beer at 8 a.m. or at lunch? It's what makes them happy, and they aren't harming you or anyone else. Sounds like you are judging them because their habits are different than yours. You are apparently a young person as you're refer to these guys as "old men". They spent a lifetime working hard. Let them live their lives the way they want. I never hear the "old men" I know complaining about all the young people staying out until 2 in the morning at bars getting wasted. These guys that you talk about are simply having a beer so leave them to live their life the way they want. No judgment please. 

so true , nothing anybody else chooses and i said "CHOOSES" to do has SFA to do with anyone else. Sometimes when I am up at 2 am or 4 am watching soccer I will have a beer or two, maybe in future I will have to call Jack 71 and ask for his permission.  Now off back to bed little boy before mummy and daddy notice you are online without their consent. 

• Like 1

Not having a beer in the morning for breakfast is cultural, specifically mainstream US culture. I have noticed in some other places I have been like Mexico, Korea, British colonial Thailand (Pattaya, Udon etc.) alcohol in the morning

is a thing that strong and healthy men do and I suppose old men too. Yes, I was raised in the U.S. too

where it is rather more a female dominated society than European and some other asian societies and where there still lingers the legacy of the iron fist of the women's christian temperance unions

who were a big part of alcohol prohibition. Women are generally speaking not good at drinking as they are not good at some other things like running the European Union, speed metal guitar, or playing rugby so like those things drinking is not acceptable in the US.

In the US, drinking is still relatively stigmatized compared to the rest of the world and is still something you are only supposed to do at night in bars or when you are in church. So, in the US you'll never see beer as part of a good breakfast. Personally, I prefer coffee in the morning and it doesn't go well with beer, but tea I can imagine works pretty well. If I'm not mistaken in many places in the US you can't even order a beer in the morning its against local statutes and of course alcohol is completely prohibited in dry counties. It was quite an experience to be in a major city like Phildelphia, where the tea-totalling traditions of the Quakers still hold sway apparently, and find I could not go to a corner shop and get a beer, that I had to go to a bar and get a beer to go. What if the bars were not open because it was illegal to open during the day, I wonderd to myself not wanting to ask my Phlly hosts for fear of sounding like an alcoholic. I guess you are Schlitz outta luck in Philly in that case.

It does not necessarily mean you're an alkoh to have a drink with breakfast nor does drinking because you enjoy getting drunk mean you're an alkoh, another thing about US drinking culture, you drink Budweiser or Schmidt 12 packs because they are incredibly delicious, right?  Or you drink wine simply because everyone else at the dinner party  is or because it signals refinement to others.  it is taboo to admit in middle class US "society" or smart not to admit that getting drunk is a highly engaging hobby of yours because someone who might have the authority like a wife or mother will have you spending several nights a week at an A.A. meeting for the rest of your born days. But here in Thailand you are clear to have a beer in the morning. -All the Best, the American Beer Police

Edited by Gilligan In Drag
poor grammar fix
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

When I was Stationed in Germany one quite often would see the Construction Workers break about 0730 hours for a beer and sandwich.  Part of the German Culture I believe.

I've worked shift work myself and going to a bar that opened at 6am to have a few beer before heading home to bed wasn't uncommon.  Some people live very sheltered lives I see.

• Like 1

"I'm not harming anyone so it's nobody's business" is the excuse of every alcoholic and drug addict.

And while I agree that it is indeed no one's business if someone wants to live outside basic social norms, let's not pretend that most of these folks are (or were, before they retired) even remotely the most productive members of society.

18 hours ago, jack71 said:

I was a bit shocked to see this. 

Why were you shocked? That's the reason Pattaya was invented, so you could have a sunrise beer at the beach and then stagger back to your cheap digs. 

Safer that way too, all the pickpockets should have skedaddled by then.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

you really need to get out more.

How cares Thais do it themselves no issues ! For me being non drinker of alcohol my choice , could not careless it's past yard arm somewhere in world if doin no harm or not making nuisance to others ! Well it's actually no one's elses business if or when decide to have a beer chat with friend etc , or whatever be happy what your doing ! enough of this nanny mentally state + enough of Government over reach via damn covid past 3 years ongoing  etc,  what other  do in there own time & money up to them.

Edited by Mad mick