With locals not disposing of plastic correctly, Thailand is importing the world’s waste instead

webfact

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Those who bring plastic to Recyclers - Do they accept and pay for all kinds of plastic or only the type used for (refrigerated) water sold in convenience stores?

It's all moot, as the technology to recycle the number of different synthetics today doesn't exist - anywhere. 

Especially fanciful are the cultures that promote this grand illusion that we can recycle this variety of plastics and are clearly the largest producers and originators of the this criminal acts on the earth. 

Kharma works in the most mysterious manner. Beware.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

They will never replenish at the same rate, non farmed trees are.

I agree with lb3.  The northern USA had lots of tree farms for decades.  The tree farms were well managed, all scrub brush cleared and removed and ground into landscaping  mulch and numerous fire breaks through out the farm.  When the trees were harvested, the farm was cleared of stumps (again, ground into mulch) and the farm replanted to be harvested again in 20 to 25 years.

The majority of farmed trees went to the paper industry where the trees were made into paper bags (remember them), paper straws, paper containers etc.

Que up the tree huggers.  They basically shut down an entire industry that was in a sense, eco-friendly and led to the creation of "Big Plastic".  Plastic bags, straws, styrofoam containers, bottles,etc.,etc.,etc.

So what happens to all the nicely managed tree farms, who's going to take of them?  After years and years of neglect mother nature steps in and decides she has to do it herself, the only way she knows how; wild fires.  The 2020 wild fires alone dumped 140 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, along with tons of other pollutants.

Tree farms do replenish at a rate that is sustainable.  There were farms in Northern California, Washington and Oregon that were on thier second and even third harvest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

What became of that "law" that banned plastic bags at 7/11s, food stores etc that was passed a couple of years back?

I still take my own bag.... I buy something at 7 & clerk getting bag out: "Oh, so Thailand saved the world from being buried in plastic bags, so now it is okay to use again!" Sadly, the public has the attention span of a quark....

Yes, your right , there was no plastic bags even if you wanted to pay for one for some years . Now gradually that is being forgotten in 7/11.

Yet many shops persist with no bag available. Home pro and Tesco lotus for example. Sometimes I have forgotten to bring a bag when buying many pvc fittings . Sorry mister no bag is what hear from them.

Tesco lotus I take a bag but  some cashiers refuse to put the items in the bag . So I say put the items in the bag or I don't want the items . Of course I get a look of displeasure. Thais have a problem with being told what to do by a foreigner .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

so you don't REALLY give a shoot then. only going through the motions for the cash. you already know the end result. easy money right ? as long as you got paid.  

What a truly daft response - bit like saying dont put anything in your bins as it may go somewhere else ! Nuts. if a recycle guy collects it, its up to them what they do with it - though knowing Thais and money, they aint gonna chuck it after paying for it !

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thailand is one of the worse countries in the world for still using plastic bags at shopping centres. 

Why haven't they set a road map to ban all plastic bags, plastic garbage bags and plastic bottles ?

Surely a factory could produce bio-degradable shop bags, garbage bags and bottles and sell them to these conglomorates.

They just don't seem to care about 1000's of tons of plastic waste every day ...

Where I live 

Banned Items | WA Plastics Ban (plasticsbanwa.com.au)

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thailand is one of the worse countries in the world for still using plastic bags at shopping centres. 

Why haven't they set a road map to ban all plastic bags, plastic garbage bags and plastic bottles ?

Surely a factory could produce bio-degradable shop bags, garbage bags and bottles and sell them to these conglomorates.

They just don't seem to care about 1000's of tons of plastic waste every day ...

Yes - even the s**thole of the Philippines has made substantial progress in this. If the Philippines can do it, then surely Thailand can.....

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, lujanit said:

There already is.  TPBI produces a biodegradable bag.  It is white and purple strips.  We have them here and they degrade if let outside in weeks.

Where I live now, we get supplied with biodegradable plastic bags for food scraps which we put in our green bin which is also for garden disposal all free of charge and also, we get a small kitchen bin we use for food scraps I have not used a rubbish bag for shopping in years have canvas bags for shopping 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, still kicking said:

Where I live now, we get supplied with biodegradable plastic bags for food scraps which we put in our green bin which is also for garden disposal all free of charge and also, we get a small kitchen bin we use for food scraps I have not used a rubbish bag for shopping in years have canvas bags for shopping 

We bury all the biodegradeable food waste in the garden or put it into a recycling bag.  There are lots of worms in the bag helping to break down the waste.  It takes about 12 months for the waste to turn into fertile soil which is put into the garden.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...