Big Joke says he's investigating Immigration from top to bottom : 27 cops in headlights

webfact

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And they too, like Thailand, turn a blind eye to such laws. Certainly at company level..... I just don't see how a Boeing or an Airbus could be sold to Thailand (and many other countries), without some palms being greased!

The multibillion-baht Toyota tax-bribery probe threatening to rock Thailand’s judiciary
October 8, 2022 

The trio were identified by Law360, which reported in May 2021 that US authorities were investigating whether Toyota had violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) as they sought proof that the carmaker had bribed top Thai judges. The law prohibits US citizens and entities from bribing foreign government officials to benefit their business interests.

US experts expect the ongoing FCPA investigation against Toyota to “continue for another year or more” due to multiple factors, including the complexity of the case and the COVID-19 pandemic, Law360 reported in June.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-multibillion-baht-toyota-tax-bribery-probe-threatening-to-rock-thailands-judiciary/

21 hours ago, Enzian said:

One thing that makes this discussion difficult is that the "rule of law", as it is understood in the west, is problematic in Thailand. I'm not taking sides in this (is there a crime or isn't there?). I just want to see something really authoritative one way or the other, and imo no one so far has provided that.

It's very similar to the Mob in NYC. In certain areas, most people pay protection to the mafia btu how many cases do you see in court?

20 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I've lived here for 21 years and I haven't seen one either, but I'd bet the farm there has been plenty. And I know you will find this odd but the criteria for whether a prosecution exists or not has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not it's ever been on the news!!!

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/2-bangkok-immigration-officers-suspended-amid-bribery-investigation/

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks! I subsequently found a bunch of bribery and corruption cases involving  the authorities, all the op had to do was to google the subject but he's either in denial or is simply being bloody minded.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Thanks! I subsequently found a bunch of bribery and corruption cases involving  the authorities, all the op had to do was to google the subject but he's either in denial or is simply being bloody minded.. 

Many people who haven't lived here long, or haven't integrated into society don't realize what can happen when the power changes. I've developed 'relationships' with head police, who move on to be Senators, then when a coup happens, they're out and all that work/money has been wasted. Similarly, have known high-ranking army officers who lose their business when the police took over.  illegal immigrants who hide behind the fact that their bribery was done by an agent and the criminal giving their visa is an immigration policeman could be out at any time, when a new boss comes in. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 3:14 AM, Scouse123 said:

You are paying an agent.

That ' fee ' and many other ' fees ' from other people following this route is then divided between corrupt immigration officials and the agent and whoever else is ' in the loop ' to look the other way such as secretaries who enter the data etc.

This is done to circumvent the rules and this is why many who are living in Isaarn are given an address in Pattaya for the benefit of obtaining a retirement extension. They must also use this fictitious address and pretend they live there for 90 reports etc.

Therefore Smedley is correct. It's bribery and it is a corrupt practice.

It is this behaviour that keeps ' tea money ' and ' corruption ' rife in Thailand and people who subscribe to it are part of that problem, as the point is, if there weren't people going along with this corrupt practice it would fizzle out and die.

This is why when they get caught, the offending Immigration officers and their teams are broken up and moved all over the country and on occasion, to inactive posts.

Just because it's the ' norm ' or we have done it this way a ' long time ' doesn't make it legal or correct and nor does it make it a ' service fee '

"That ' fee ' and many other ' fees ' from other people following this route is then divided between corrupt immigration officials and the agent and whoever else is ' in the loop ' to look the other way such as secretaries who enter the data etc."

If you think the 'small' amount I pay gets divided between so many people,  then they are not going to get rich very quickly.

However, you are of course entitled to your opinion and I refuse to get dragged into an argument over a minor subject of the rights and wrongs of a 'service'.

4 hours ago, Surasak said:

"That ' fee ' and many other ' fees ' from other people following this route is then divided between corrupt immigration officials and the agent and whoever else is ' in the loop ' to look the other way such as secretaries who enter the data etc."

If you think the 'small' amount I pay gets divided between so many people,  then they are not going to get rich very quickly.

However, you are of course entitled to your opinion and I refuse to get dragged into an argument over a minor subject of the rights and wrongs of a 'service'.

The small amount you pay multiplied by the vast number of people doing it equals a lot of money per year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2022 at 1:46 PM, proton said:

How? I doubt Smedly is a real name and that he is using a VPN and could even be posting away from his home.

If so all the more reason for RTP to identify him. Nowhere to hide today. 

On 12/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, Neeranam said:

Many people who haven't lived here long, or haven't integrated into society don't realize what can happen when the power changes. I've developed 'relationships' with head police, who move on to be Senators, then when a coup happens, they're out and all that work/money has been wasted. Similarly, have known high-ranking army officers who lose their business when the police took over.  illegal immigrants who hide behind the fact that their bribery was done by an agent and the criminal giving their visa is an immigration policeman could be out at any time, when a new boss comes in. 

I am not disagreeing at all.

But as corruption is endemic in Thailand it all becomes irrelevant as its just another person you pay rather than the "service" discontinues.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:55 PM, Surasak said:

That ' bribe' you pay

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Misty said:

The plot thickens....  "Head of AMLO resigns after triad allegation"

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40023258

He will still be investigated by NACC even if he resigned. He held the top position in AMLO but paid scant attention to the Chinese triads alleged money laundering activities. Meanwhile, the prosecution team appointed by the AG held their first meeting last week. 

• Thumbs Up 1