That's amazing! Farang given a lesson in divining numbers for the lottery

webfact

In the USA there are long lines for lottery sales at "Lucky Retailers" thinking their chances of winning are better if they buy their ticket where others have won before. Of course Lucky Retailers continue to be lucky it they sell lots of tickets.

Even though they either choose their own numbers or let the lottery's machine pick their numbers.

The chance of winning big bucks seems to reveal superstitions.

6 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Pig heads offering are deeply rooted in Taoism. Poor pig. This kind of superstition is deeply ingrained from birth and part of their social and cultural conditioning. Thankful I wasn't born into it. It must dominate their lives. Sad. 

Sad for the pigs for sure.

For the believers meh.

I believe in the myth of democracy, in spite of this misguided belief I find that I am usually about as happy as I make up my mind to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lopchan said:

"Another strange belief"
What an offensive , discriminatory comment to so many!

If you were introduced to Christian beliefs as an adult, you would probably say, "You've gotta be kidding."

A story that starts with a virgin having a baby and ends with a dead guy rising and appearing to his pals.

Improbable isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Thai villagers believe that, after they die, they will be bourn again as an animal. I wonder who the pig used to be ????

Politician or Policeman or an Army General.................or maybe some of those sat in Soi 6 Pattaya?

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Welcome to the Thai version and interpretation of Buddhism, the cosmic cash machine!

Christianity has gone that way in some countries, particularly the USA and examples such as Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn etc. They make the Thai's tradition of praying to trees for lottery ticket numbers positively credible!

16 hours ago, Jack Cook said:

No more stupid than praying to the narcissistic big man in the sky like many westerners do.

Nor, it could be said, is it any more stupid than the loads of condescending comments, regarding one of the majority world religions with the grandiose self-assuming all-knowing statements declaring it to be strange, have any veracity to them and which essentially declare the speaker/writer to be God themselves by declaring such things as silly or strange.
To be so incredibly in-your-face rude and very purposely offensive toward so many people says a lot about the character of such writers/commenters. Why people, who likely otherwise profess to be "tolerant" or "open-minded", are so fantastically intolerant and abrasively rude and narrow-minded is a wonder in itself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Christianity has gone that way in some countries, particularly the USA and examples such as Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn etc. They make the Thai's tradition of praying to trees for lottery ticket numbers positively credible!

I agree with the gist of what you say, except that it falls flat in defining Christianity with Kenneth Copeland and Benny Hinn, who are considered by mainline and orthodox Christianity to be heretics and blasphemers - not Christian. There will always be aberrations in any given belief that to which a group adheres. That there are these kind of outliers that appear to hijack a belief system and turn it into something self-serving should be no surprise. I don't think it is particularly predominate in the USA, although that is where there is plenty of money and thereby plenty of media coverage and ability to propagate, thus they become more well known. These kind of snake oil salesmen are all over the world in big numbers and I'd be willing to bet that they are in every belief system. But I do agree with the gist of "Christianity has gone that way" that you mentioned, in that there seems to be more of a prevalence of self-serving and working hard to get ahead/wealthy/more comfortable than what it appears the Jesus of Christianity taught, to be sacrificial of oneself in loving and helping others.

9 hours ago, cdemundo said:

If you were introduced to Christian beliefs as an adult, you would probably say, "You've gotta be kidding."

A story that starts with a virgin having a baby and ends with a dead guy rising and appearing to his pals.

Improbable isn't it?

Not sure what something that appears to be improbable to someone has to do with being publicly derisive toward their belief. Just because something appears to be improbable, does that now require people to publicly or personally deride the sincere and well-meaning beliefs of others, particularly when they are not demanding the one to whom it appears to be improbable to also believe it? It's kind of the opposite of the demand that is of late being kowtowed to re using certain pronouns of any individuals preference and if you don't, retribution is coming your way. If you publicly or personally deride that preference/belief, you better watch your back. For some reason, condescension of religious beliefs is not only tolerated in this forum, it is encouraged by the writers of articles posted on it. Very sad IMO.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Wearing a crucifix is not only strange, but wearing it to tell the world that the glorification of death and suffering is something worth exhibiting, is not my idea of a philosophy of life.

At least, apart from the pig, what the Thais are doing is rather silly but not especially harmful.

evidently you missed the resurrection part?

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sig said:

Not sure what something that appears to be improbable to someone has to do with being publicly derisive toward their belief. Just because something appears to be improbable, does that now require people to publicly or personally deride the sincere and well-meaning beliefs of others, particularly when they are not demanding the one to whom it appears to be improbable to also believe it? It's kind of the opposite of the demand that is of late being kowtowed to re using certain pronouns of any individuals preference and if you don't, retribution is coming your way. If you publicly or personally deride that preference/belief, you better watch your back. For some reason, condescension of religious beliefs is not only tolerated in this forum, it is encouraged by the writers of articles posted on it. Very sad IMO.

"does that now require people to publicly or personally deride the sincere and well-meaning beliefs of others?"

No one is required, they are glad to do it, and do it freely, gleefully, joyfully.

Why do you suppose that is?

That plantation owner will be flooded with people looking for lucky numbers when the next batch comes out.

They scored on two numbers (14 and 855) which is pretty amazing considered it's usually a total bust.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

"does that now require people to publicly or personally deride the sincere and well-meaning beliefs of others?"

No one is required, they are glad to do it, and do it freely, gleefully, joyfully.

Why do you suppose that is?

It is hypocritical foolishness.

14 hours ago, Sig said:

I don't want to attack you, so please take this as just a discussion and try not to feel like you need to defend yourself.

"something that appears to be improbable to someone"

The beliefs are manifestly improbable, let me show you what I mean.

There is a board member with screen name "Coolguy".

Coolguy's mother was a virgin when he was born.

Last week Coolguy died, he was buried and after three days he rose from the dead and visited with friends and posted here on ASEANNOW.

Do you believe me?

• Like 1

He was pictured examining the plant whilst holding a red book (contents unknown) and wearing what appeared to be a crucifix, a symbol based on another strange belief. 

Not only do they try to make fun of Thai belief, they try to make fun of the beliefs of 1/3 of the World. Disgraceful journalism. 

• Thanks 1

I used to not believe certainly religious beliefs until I met the Dalai Lama in his home in India. I shook his hand an had a spiritual experience. In the retreat I visited, I saw Karma in action and things I never would have believed. 

Similarly, with Christianity and Hinduism, I've experienced miraculous things.

I'm neither a Christian, Hindu, or Buddhist but I have respect for their beliefs. 

The person who wrote this is showing his ignorance and has never even glimpsed the realm of the Sacred, or the infinite vastness in religious beliefs. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 10:35 AM, hotchilli said:

With the election coming next year one wonders who they'll vote for..

No wonder the country is in a mess.

Many will vote for the person who handed out a few hundred Baht .....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I don't want to attack you, so please take this as just a discussion and try not to feel like you need to defend yourself.

Last week Coolguy died, he was buried and after three days he rose from the dead and visited with friends and posted here on ASEANNOW.

Do you believe me?

would that the second coming ?

• Like 1

I would guess that some of the local underground lottery guys would have been wiped out unless they were able to hedge these with some of the major national players who can better balance their books. But likely a good few who kept the stakes thinking they were in for a killing.

Look for the houses with angry mobs outside............

On 12/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, dkg224 said:

Couple years ago me and a friend carved a 15 into a banana tree right on the corner to the entrance of my girlfriends village in Buriram. 
anyway word got out about the divine magical number that appeared so just about everyone in the village bought up all lottery tickets ending in 15 and 15 in other tickets. 
End of the story. 15 didn’t win 

I've told this story before on this forum ????  My mad ex#3 believed that she could decipher lottery numbers in the patterns of toads that were in our garden.

So one evening, I grabbed a few of said toads and wrote numbers in indelible ink on their backs.  You should have heard the screams of excitement when she found these toads.

No, she didn't win......

• Haha 2

On 12/16/2022 at 9:21 AM, cdemundo said:

Do you believe me?

No problem. Your comment doesn't come across as an attack at all. I would just say that your hypothetical story is very different from the story of Christianity, which it is apparent you are making the comparison to. More than 500 people witnessed "Coolguy" alive after he died and came back to life. And on top of that, many of those who witnessed him come back to life, went on to horrific deaths due to them not recanting the facts of what they witnessed. How many people do you know would insist on something like that all the way to being tortured and killed for it? And "Coolguy" also somehow happened to fulfill hundreds of prophecies made from hundreds of years past. There is a lot more to the story... that said, no doubt that some people would still have a hard time believing it for whatever personal beliefs/reasons they may have.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sig said:

No problem. Your comment doesn't come across as an attack at all. I would just say that your hypothetical story is very different from the story of Christianity, which it is apparent you are making the comparison to. More than 500 people witnessed "Coolguy" alive after he died and came back to life. And on top of that, many of those who witnessed him come back to life, went on to horrific deaths due to them not recanting the facts of what they witnessed. How many people do you know would insist on something like that all the way to being tortured and killed for it? And "Coolguy" also somehow happened to fulfill hundreds of prophecies made from hundreds of years past. There is a lot more to the story... that said, no doubt that some people would still have a hard time believing it for whatever personal beliefs/reasons they may have.

Sig, you are avoiding or misunderstanding the point.

All I am referring to are the two parts of the story (virgin birth and resurrection), are they probable?

I am not making a comparison to the story of Jesus.

You implied that the improbabilities i referred to were a matter of opinion, that isn't the case.

Since I didn't communicate with my thought experiment, let me try another way.

If this doesn't make my point I will leave it alone.

The number of human births and deaths in the last two thousand years is many millions..

If the virgin birth and resurrection of Jesus are unique, then they are clearly improbable events, since they are both one event  out of many millions of events.

"One in a million" is a common phrase to express improbability, these events are more improbable than that.