How to get out of team-building trips

Mr Derek

4 minutes ago, setbkk said:

A large bank would likely hire compentent van drivers, much more so than tour operators on a budget. I agree with wife, not going may be likely detrimental to her career. Probably a low risk outing relative to other hazards here.

A slightly reassuring thought, but it's all the other road users that are the problem - the ones who are falling asleep, drunk, on drugs, using their phones, speeding like it's a computer game, driving without a license, or simply just mindless idiots. Personally, I don't think I've ever had a road trip of any length without having a near-death experience due to other drivers. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

Well, yeah, but if she gets killed, it's effectively the end of my life too.

understood - but she runs that risk everytime she goes out.

I get your apprehension though. My wife drives a Honda Scoopy about on the Bang na trad rd.

Say you have covid. Bank workers would be better going on a course on how to dispense withdrawals and issuing a new bankbook without waiting for a grumpy middle aged superior to turn up and tapping multiple keyboard keys, knowing what their own codes mean and being able to get their apps working in less than an hour! They don't need to 'bond' they just need to know how to do the job, most act like it's their first week in it.

Edited by proton
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr Derek said:

Well, yeah, but if she gets killed, it's effectively the end of my life too.

It seems you are not so much concerned that she could die (in an accident on the road) but you are concerned about living without her.

Maybe think about that a little.

Or just tell her: What about me when you die? Isn't it your job to care about me until I die?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your wife has a job and that brings responsibilities. That you can't understand the value of teambuilding is sad but that doesn't give you the right to control your wife in such a matter.

Please. This is about offering potentially life-saving advice. Priorities mate.

• Haha 2

I went on one of these office trips once.

I got really p%$£ed, got off with one of the office girls and had a go at the bosses wife.

Never got asked to attend again. 

Maybe this could be added to the list of options for the OP and his wife. ????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Faking Covid, so she won't go on a trip to a fancy resort with nice food and have fun with her coworkers. 

That sounds caring to you. To me it sounds so scared to die that you don't want to enjoy life or are prepared to let others enjoy life too.

I said he is showing concern. Nothing about caring for her.

So please tell me how he is controlling her? That is what you suggested.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your wife has a job and that brings responsibilities. That you can't understand the value of teambuilding is sad but that doesn't give you the right to control your wife in such a matter.

Team building is BS. A week after getting back from one of any of those exercises, I'll guarantee only the most anally retentive would remember any of the garbage spouted. After a month, it's a 0.999999999 probability all will be forgotten.

These programs occur in cycles of 12 - 18 months, and their purpose is to remind everyone else in an organization that they still have an HR department which can waste company funds effectively.

• Haha 2