Pulling cables with talcum powder through pipes?

OneMoreFarang

Soon I will have to pull a couple of electrical cables through plastic pipes.

With most of them that will be easy because the cables are relative thin compared to the pipes and the cables are relative flexible.

But some cables are not so thin and not so flexible. How to pull them?

Is it a good idea to use a little talcum powder? Or what to use?

I am pretty sure talcum powder will help with the pulling, but I don't know if that will react negatively with any cables once the cables are inside those pipes.

Otherwise I know that it is a good idea to pull all cables together at the same time in one pipe. And use a small cable attached to the big cable to pull it.

Maybe that procedure is not even complicated without any power or whatever. But I don't want to find out halfway when I do the job and then wonder what I should use.

Thanks

We used to use the hand cleaner gel called "Swarfega" when I was an apprentice and we were pulling cables through conduit, but I don't know if that is still available these days, however some sort of hand gel would probably do the trick. 

The "proper stuff" would be cable-pulling lubricant, if you can find it.

Talc won't hurt the cables but I'm not sure how effective it will be.

An assistant pushing from the other end helps a lot to take the tension off when there are bends to negotiate.

• Like 1

we use to use very soapy water when pulling cables through conduit.

blow a sting line through first,  then attach a rope, then pull the rope through then attach the electric cables to the rope using a metal wire 'sock'  and taped over with grey conduit tape.

I've seen grease used also.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I wondered where I'd seen the white stuff before ...

Google "Japanese live action tentacle" :whistling: (for grown-ups only)

Crossy!

I have to admit I saw this also somewhere and I further have to admit electrical cables didn't come to my mind at that time. But with a little electricity it might be more exiting. ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

We used to use the hand cleaner gel called "Swarfega" when I was an apprentice and we were pulling cables through conduit, but I don't know if that is still available these days, however some sort of hand gel would probably do the trick. 

Available on Lazada 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1